U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-27-2017, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Illinois
988 posts, read 593,270 times
Reputation: 1091

Advertisements

Without question, the worst I've been on is the 30 mile stretch on I 80/94 that starts (Westbound) in Indiana about 20 miles west of Illinois, and ends about 10 miles into Illinois. Every truck in the world is on that stretch, and there is always either an accident or construction.

Back in the day, there was a part of this that was down to one lane by the quarry. Thankfully, that all got widened and the area is a bit better, but still a massive pain. Have to drive through it to go to Michigan, or to get my son in Ohio. Hate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-27-2017, 12:38 PM
 
2,783 posts, read 1,628,289 times
Reputation: 2026
love I-81, I-5, I-85. Hate I-95, I-40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2017, 06:48 AM
 
Location: Calera, AL
1,160 posts, read 1,440,611 times
Reputation: 1567
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Too many interstates are lawless and overcrowded with people who are clueless, distracted, and doing 15 over whatever the ever-changing recently-raised speed limit happens to be.
I'd be fine with all of them being ripped up or limited to commercial truck traffic only while everyone else is left with the options of trains and planes.
The passenger train industry is all but dead, and the airline industry is heading in that direction. So that leaves us with what, horse and buggy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2017, 08:23 AM
 
761 posts, read 384,740 times
Reputation: 1298
love i-81

loathe i-95
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2017, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis (St. Louis Park)
5,991 posts, read 8,311,571 times
Reputation: 4270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Without question, the worst I've been on is the 30 mile stretch on I 80/94 that starts (Westbound) in Indiana about 20 miles west of Illinois, and ends about 10 miles into Illinois. Every truck in the world is on that stretch, and there is always either an accident or construction.

Back in the day, there was a part of this that was down to one lane by the quarry. Thankfully, that all got widened and the area is a bit better, but still a massive pain. Have to drive through it to go to Michigan, or to get my son in Ohio. Hate it.
The Bishop-Ford freeway? That's where I-94 (which connects Detroit and the gateway to the bulk of the eastern Canadian population and cargo traffic to MSP and the gateways to western Canada and the PNW), I-90 (which connects the NE and Boston to the PNW and Seattle), I-80 (which connects the NE and NYC to the West Coast and SF), and I-65 (which connects the Gulf Coast and Mobile, AL to the Great Lakes and Chicago) all come together, more or less. I'm always impressed with the level of traffic and especially freight that moves through there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2017, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis (St. Louis Park)
5,991 posts, read 8,311,571 times
Reputation: 4270
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
The passenger train industry is all but dead, and the airline industry is heading in that direction. So that leaves us with what, horse and buggy?
Tell that to the rest of the industrialized world, which has bullet and Maglev trains that shuttle hoards of people across the Asian and European continents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2017, 09:23 AM
 
6,440 posts, read 3,451,927 times
Reputation: 10202
I-95, by far my favorite.

I remember back in the 70's traveling from Boston to Palm Beach to visit my grandparents. I-95 wasn't complete at that time. Had to take 301 in the Carolina's. Loved the South of the Border signed for hundreds of miles before you got there. Having to pass through Savannah. Now long since complete, it's just a road I really like (although the Northeast corridor section has it's issues).

I don't hate any roads as I like to drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2017, 09:27 AM
 
Location: Illinois
988 posts, read 593,270 times
Reputation: 1091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
The Bishop-Ford freeway? That's where I-94 (which connects Detroit and the gateway to the bulk of the eastern Canadian population and cargo traffic to MSP and the gateways to western Canada and the PNW), I-90 (which connects the NE and Boston to the PNW and Seattle), I-80 (which connects the NE and NYC to the West Coast and SF), and I-65 (which connects the Gulf Coast and Mobile, AL to the Great Lakes and Chicago) all come together, more or less. I'm always impressed with the level of traffic and especially freight that moves through there.
For me, more specifically, take the left turn (east) off the Bishop Ford onto the 80/94 stretch that then goes into Indiana and toward I-65. Haven't spent time on the BF north of there.

80/94 gets all the trucks coming from the western US on I-80.

Do you remember what that stretch was like before the expansion? It was a cruel joke on humanity to have so few lanes handling the most heavily traveled truck route in the US.

Even now, driving back from say, southern Michigan, or Ohio, it's taken me 3 hours to go about 40 miles heading westbound on a Sunday. Usually starts a few miles east of Chesterton and lasts a few miles into Illinois.

The big factor is all the Chicagoans going home from their weekend getaways in Michigan, mostly. We actually decided once to spend the night in New Buffalo rather than fight that Sunday traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2017, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,845 posts, read 2,975,563 times
Reputation: 3394
I 35 in Austin. Horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2017, 09:08 PM
 
6 posts, read 4,078 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Which ones in particular? I'm just asking because the Federal Highway Administration rated Pennsylvania's Interstates as the 15th-smoothest in the United States in 2013, and smoother than every bordering state except West Virginia.
My personal experience on the literal example of "highway robbery" that is the Pennsylvania Turnpike tells me this statistic is bull ****. I have driven in 40+ states however Pennsylvania had the second most hateful roads. The first was neighboring New Jersey, which is third world level. ( I am from Missouri, and our roads are remarkably better with no tolls.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top