U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 09:00 AM

814 posts, read 938,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Aggressive driving is a symptom; passive driving is the disease. If we were serious about putting an end to aggressive driving, then we'd start punishing the passive drivers, because they're the ones who create uncomfortable situations on the highway in the first place.
In addition I think it's important to make the distinction that driving fast does NOT automatically mean driving aggressively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 07:50 AM

325 posts, read 207,929 times
Least favorite the Interstate highways that are TOLL.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:22 PM

13,222 posts, read 17,969,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashmoneysamuels View Post
My personal experience on the literal example of "highway robbery" that is the Pennsylvania Turnpike tells me this statistic is bull ****. I have driven in 40+ states however Pennsylvania had the second most hateful roads. The first was neighboring New Jersey, which is third world level. ( I am from Missouri, and our roads are remarkably better with no tolls.)
I'm not sure what decade you last drove the Pennsylvania Turnpike, but you should try it again this decade.

Segment by segment, all 360 miles of the Turnpike are being reconstructed from the ground up and widened to six lanes.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:32 PM

956 posts, read 1,775,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
I'm not sure what decade you last drove the Pennsylvania Turnpike, but you should try it again this decade.

Segment by segment, all 360 miles of the Turnpike are being reconstructed from the ground up and widened to six lanes.
Glad the PA Turnpike Authority is finally trying to improve the PA Turnpike. That expressway long sucked, for years. As for I-65 in Indiana, it isn't my fav expressway, but personally I feel there are worser expressways out there that are more boring(i.e. I-10 in FL, I-39 in IL). I do like that I've been noticing Indiana has been widening more and more of I-65 to 3 lanes over time, in each direction. Even in the more rural areas. And it has Fair Oaks Farms, which is a nice place to stop and have a bite to eat off of exit 220 between Lafayette and Merrillville. By no means am I saying I-65 is a great expressway, but I can deal with it since I've been on it way too many times to count.

Anyway, my favorites are I-68 in western Maryland into West Virginia(AWESOME alternative to driving the PA Turnpike), I-79 and I-77 and I-64 in West Virginia, I-90 in western Wisconsin and eastern Minnesota(the hilly parts of those states are surprisingly scenic, and I'd recommend driving on US 61 in Minnesota northwest of La Crosse, or Wisconsin Highway 35 for great scenery along the Mississippi if you have time), I-75 north of Grayling, MI to the US/Canada border in the Upper Peninsula(fav part is driving over the Mackinac Bridge), I-24 between Chattanooga to Monteagle, TN, I-70 in Colorado west of Denver, and I-26 in North Carolina and Tennessee. Can't believe I almost forgot I-17 in Arizona between Phoenix and Flagstaff, the mountainous scenery and forest there is also nice(though I prefer AZ Hwy 89A, since you see more of the scenery and even could visit Slide Rock State Park). My least favorites include I-80(any of the tollway/turnpike routes from IL east to PA), I-94 from Indiana to Michigan(mainly b/c the truck traffic is so very high, and running into random traffic jams in Indiana west of Michigan City isn't uncommon), I-65 from IN to TN, I-75 in Georgia, I-285 in the Atlanta area(ESPECIALLY this one), I-10 in Florida west of Tally(if you can drive along US 98 instead, along the Gulf coast), I-55 from IL to LA, I-70 from PA to the Saint Louis area(haven't driven 70 west of there, but I suspect that's probably nothing special from the few youtube vids I've seen except around mostly KC), and I-81 and I-85 and I-95 in Virginia.

I'd really like to see I-70 in Utah, someday. I bet I-15 in Utah would be nice too(near San Rafael Swill), and have less traffic vs. around Las Vegas and south of there(though I'm sure it still does get a lot, for those heading to/from Salt Lake City). I-90 in western Montana into Idaho and maybe also Washington would probably be nice, and ditto with I-80 in western Nevada and eastern California. I'm sure also the expressways that go through the mountains in NH and VT(I-89, I-91, and I-93, save for the part in MA b/c of traffic), would be nice as well. Wouldn't be surprised if I-87(particularly north of Albany), I-86 in southern NY(bet this is a great alternative to the NY Turnpike, if your destination is inbetween 86 and 90), and I-81 and I-99 by the NY/PA border had some nice scenic areas.

Of course, I think we all can agree that local and state highways are more interesting drives! The same for a lot of the US federal highways, as well. Though of course they don't get you to your destination as quickly as an expressway, so I know they're a lot of nice highway drives that'd be nice to see that I haven't discovered yet.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:03 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,233,285 times
Most stretches of rural interstate highways in the South suck. Boring, what development there is is often tacky, and hillbilly traffic enforcement officers run rampant. I-10 and I-12 through Louisiana? I-40 through eastern Arkansas? I-155 in northwest Tennessee? Oh, heck naw!

However, as exceptions to rural Southern interstate highways, I-75 from Dayton (I know it's in Ohio) all the way south to Atlanta is generally nice, I-64 through Kentucky and to Charleston, WV is a pleasant drive (though very undeveloped from Mount Sterling, KY to Huntington, WV), and the West Virginia Turnpike (I-64/77) can be gorgeous, especially after a lot of snow has fallen (and the roads have been cleared).

I also hate the stretch of the I-5 Freeway from the SR 99 Freeway split near Bakersfield all the way to Manteca (near Stockton). That is one ugly, God-forsaken stretch of road. (When driving through the Central Valley, take the SR 99, which is a state freeway and not an interstate, from the south split through Bakersfield, Fresno and Modesto, and then reconnect to the I-5 in either Stockton or Sacramento. At least there's civilization along the SR 99.) However, the rest of the I-5 Freeway, from Bakersfield south to San Ysidro and from Manteca north into Oregon and Washington and to the Canadian border, is beautiful.

I like the I-8 Freeway in eastern San Diego County, the I-10 Freeway east of San Bernardino into the San Gabriel Valley, the I-80 Freeway from San Francisco all the way to US 95 east of Reno, and most of Interstates 25 and 40 through New Mexico.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:28 PM

956 posts, read 1,775,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Most stretches of rural interstate highways in the South suck. Boring, what development there is is often tacky, and hillbilly traffic enforcement officers run rampant. I-10 and I-12 through Louisiana? I-40 through eastern Arkansas? I-155 in northwest Tennessee? Oh, heck naw!

However, as exceptions to rural Southern interstate highways, I-75 from Dayton (I know it's in Ohio) all the way south to Atlanta is generally nice, I-64 through Kentucky and to Charleston, WV is a pleasant drive (though very undeveloped from Mount Sterling, KY to Huntington, WV), and the West Virginia Turnpike (I-64/77) can be gorgeous, especially after a lot of snow has fallen (and the roads have been cleared).

I also hate the stretch of the I-5 Freeway from the SR 99 Freeway split near Bakersfield all the way to Manteca (near Stockton). That is one ugly, God-forsaken stretch of road. (When driving through the Central Valley, take the SR 99, which is a state freeway and not an interstate, from the south split through Bakersfield, Fresno and Modesto, and then reconnect to the I-5 in either Stockton or Sacramento. At least there's civilization along the SR 99.) However, the rest of the I-5 Freeway, from Bakersfield south to San Ysidro and from Manteca north into Oregon and Washington and to the Canadian border, is beautiful.

I like the I-8 Freeway in eastern San Diego County, the I-10 Freeway east of San Bernardino into the San Gabriel Valley, the I-80 Freeway from San Francisco all the way to US 95 east of Reno, and most of Interstates 25 and 40 through New Mexico.
I'd never traveled I-75 south of about Corbin, KY, to Chattanooga. But yeah, now that I think more about it, I-75 isn't that bad of an expressway from the parts I've seen in Georgia, Kentucky, Ohio, and Michigan. And in northern Michigan(think like north of Grayling, MI, on the way north to the Mackinac Bridge and Sault Ste. Marie), it was pretty nice. The only thing that can be annoying about I-75 in Georgia(a la I-94 in Illinois, Indiana, and Michigan), is that it has heavy truck traffic. That issue aside, the more I think about it, the more I realize it isn't that bad of an expressway.

I'll give you that. Hadn't traveled on any of the others you've mentioned in the western part of the US, but I imagine I-25 and I-40 in New Mexico would be nice. I-25 in Colorado(totally forgot to mention this one earlier) between Denver and Pueblo, was nice.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:38 PM

12,201 posts, read 10,425,124 times
Interstate 5 is incredibly convenient to get up and down California without taking the long, scenic route, but holy crap, going 80mph on there is considered slow and I can only imagine the domino effect of a crash at those speeds. And the scenery is dreadfully boring.
It was pretty funny though when I was in my early 20s and travelling with these girls from San Diego to Oakland, and some mountain snow started to fall while driving up the 5. They were all freaking out "What is this white stuff in the sky?!"

Old 06-18-2017, 01:11 AM

345 posts, read 788,712 times
Of course i hate the interstates where I live. 75, 285, and 85 in Atlanta especially the portions north of I-20 is traffic hell!

95 corridor, DC area to Boston has to be the worse in the country. Its like Atlanta traffic that goes on and on and on and on.... it never ends! You might get a brief moment to breathe for a second but don't get used to it, traffic jam ahead.

I see that the 35 corridor from DFW to San Antonio still has the construction on there(from a post on here). I haven't been since late '14, never liked that stretch at all, construction and traffic!

I-79 from Charleston to the PA line will twist and turn you to the the state line. Always found it annoying, while I actually do love WV as a state, the highway design though(definitely not just 79).....idk . For example, 79 into PA the topography doesn't change but 79 in PA tames a good bit, no more curves the whole drive.

And many more that are pretty bad out there found in states like Indiana and Michigan due to crappy roads, construction to fix the crappy roads, and traffic because of construction or other reasons (2014 is the last time I been in those states, could be different now). Los Angeles area of course is bad. Etc.

My faves....well I love the open road. Not much traffic, scenery is always a plus, non toll interstates, 75+ mph zones are awesome(need these on the east coast!). I found a couple stretches of interstate that have these qualities, from Utah to Iowa, Texas, even Illinois and Missouri. Nebraska lol. And all the other states in between I didn't mention. After dealing with traffic all the damn time, yeah give me boring. It almost doesn't phase me(so called boring stretches) because I hate traffic/volume so much that boring for many is heaven to me!

Old 06-18-2017, 01:35 PM

256 posts, read 168,289 times
I-5 is so varying. Through the central valley of California and between Eugene and Salem its all boring farmland, but gets to downright scenic through other parts (atleast for an interstate). I agree with whoever else said that I-80 through rural NV is just about the worst drive ever that doesn't involve bad traffic.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:48 PM

5,555 posts, read 6,986,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post

The big factor is all the Chicagoans going home from their weekend getaways in Michigan, mostly. We actually decided once to spend the night in New Buffalo rather than fight that Sunday traffic.
Try driving eastbound on I-94 on a Friday afternoon when all those Chicagoans are heading to Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or