U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most unassimilated immigrant community in America?
Miami Cubans 11 14.10%
Dearborn Arabs /Detroit area 34 43.59%
Rio Grande Valley Mexicans 13 16.67%
Southern California Mexicans 5 6.41%
San Francisco Chinese 8 10.26%
Boston Irish 1 1.28%
New Jersey Italians 1 1.28%
Louisiana French / Cajuns 1 1.28%
Upper Midwest Germans 2 2.56%
Hawaii Japanese 2 2.56%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 05:26 PM

12,414 posts, read 11,910,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordwillin02 View Post
I can't believe the poll is missing the blatantly obvious.

I'll give a hint, these groups in the poll don't kill Americans nearly as much as the obvious one...
The group you are referring to aren't immigrants, considering their ancestors didn't come here by choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 05:31 PM

11,171 posts, read 22,361,018 times
I'm shocked everyone is saying the Detroit area Arab community. Having been to the area a lot and been around in Dearborn, it always felt very nice and integrated. Upstanding community, open, lots of retail and commercial options in the area to draw people in. I don't see what people think is so isolated about it??

I would say from my perspective it would be Rio Grade Mexican community. Not much "American" integration going on there from my travels.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:02 PM

627 posts, read 273,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The group you are referring to aren't immigrants, considering their ancestors didn't come here by choice.
That's not the group I'm referring to.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:15 AM

12,193 posts, read 10,407,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I'm shocked everyone is saying the Detroit area Arab community. Having been to the area a lot and been around in Dearborn, it always felt very nice and integrated. Upstanding community, open, lots of retail and commercial options in the area to draw people in. I don't see what people think is so isolated about it??

I would say from my perspective it would be Rio Grade Mexican community. Not much "American" integration going on there from my travels.
I think it's due to the overall perception people have of Arabic and Muslim-based communities these days. I definitely agree with you on the Rio Grande area.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:21 AM

11,456 posts, read 6,568,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post

I'm pretty sure everyone there 2nd+ gen is assimilated

Old 03-28-2017, 05:46 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,696,278 times
Hasidic Jews or Amish. I can't think of a least integrated group. I would say Lebanese and Palestinian Muslims are one of the most integrated groups in America, a huge percent of them don't even were the hijab and rarely go to mosques.
Also what immigrant are you talking about? Saudi Arabian Muslims? We don't have a lot of those over here as Saudi is Relatively rich though. But the immigrant group that has probably blown up the most stuff, is the Irish, when they were building this railroads they blew up everything.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:52 AM

17,219 posts, read 19,521,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I can't think of a least integrated group. I would say Lebanese and Palestinian Muslims are one of the most integrated groups in America, a huge percent of them don't even were the hijab and rarely go to mosques.
I don't consider someone wearing a hijab or going to a mosque as being non-assimilated in America. That is simply an exercise of religious freedom (a very American value).

I think people are confusing assimilation with acculturation. Maybe some people consider those to be the same thing. I guess the farther away someone is from traditional WASP values, the less American they are?

Old 03-28-2017, 07:13 AM

1,772 posts, read 1,767,296 times
This poll seems to speak to me more of a bias against Arab Americans than anything else. The Arab community here is so incredibly diverse that there's really no way for them to form a separate community. They are from different nations, backgrounds, beliefs. You have Catholics, Protestents, Greek Orthodox, Maronite, Sunni, Shia, Atheists, and they hail from Iraq, Lebanon, Palestine, Yemen, Turkey...

What I'm getting at is that there is not really much of an established "Arab Community" so much as there are "Lots of Arab Americans living within the existing community." They work in every career field, interact freely with the existing community, and though they have concentrated some of their population in Dearborn and Hamtramck, they're probably one of the lesser segregated races in the area. Dearborn is probably only 35% Arab descent. Contrast that with some of the 95% Hispanic communities along the southern border and tell me Dearborn is less integrated.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:22 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,696,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I don't consider someone wearing a hijab or going to a mosque as being non-assimilated in America. That is simply an exercise of religious freedom (a very American value).

I think people are confusing assimilation with acculturation. Maybe some people consider those to be the same thing. I guess the farther away someone is from traditional WASP values, the less American they are?
I'm not saying that those who were hijabs or go to mosques aren't assimilated, I just said a huge percentage of them don't even look identifiable muslim. I know a muslim girl from Turkey who happens to look Chinese (Central Asians and their weird features) and doesn't wear a hijab yet holds some pretty conservative views, while another who wears hijabs and is a party animal.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:32 AM

21,182 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
This poll seems to speak to me more of a bias against Arab Americans than anything else. The Arab community here is so incredibly diverse that there's really no way for them to form a separate community. They are from different nations, backgrounds, beliefs. You have Catholics, Protestents, Greek Orthodox, Maronite, Sunni, Shia, Atheists, and they hail from Iraq, Lebanon, Palestine, Yemen, Turkey...

What I'm getting at is that there is not really much of an established "Arab Community" so much as there are "Lots of Arab Americans living within the existing community." They work in every career field, interact freely with the existing community, and though they have concentrated some of their population in Dearborn and Hamtramck, they're probably one of the lesser segregated races in the area. Dearborn is probably only 35% Arab descent. Contrast that with some of the 95% Hispanic communities along the southern border and tell me Dearborn is less integrated.
*ding* We have a winner! I agree, there's clearly a bias and a disconnect when not realizing how many varying Hispanic nationalities fail to assimilate across the board in many instances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or