U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has a true "melting pot" culture?
Philadelphia 4 6.45%
Baltimore 0 0%
Pittsburgh 1 1.61%
New Orleans 8 12.90%
Atlanta 1 1.61%
Charlotte 1 1.61%
Houston 32 51.61%
Dallas-Fort Worth 3 4.84%
Charleston, South Carolina 0 0%
Savannah, Georgia 2 3.23%
Washington, DC 10 16.13%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 09:24 PM

18,635 posts, read 27,042,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
It's not just my opinion that Houston is the most racially and ethnically diverse big city in the United States. Its a documented fact. Google it. Theres all kinds of articles on the subject.
I know the article you're referencing. But let me put it this way. Ethnically within the Latino population, Houston is not near as diverse as NYC or Miami. 77% of Houston Latino population is Mexican. Within the Black population, Houston is not nearly as diverse as Miami, DC, or NYC. Houston has a decent diverse Asian population but it doesn't touch NYC, LA, and the Bay Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 09:35 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,155,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I know the article you're referencing. But let me put it this way. Ethnically within the Latino population, Houston is not near as diverse as NYC or Miami. 77% of Houston Latino population is Mexican. Within the Black population, Houston is not nearly as diverse as Miami, DC, or NYC. Houston has a decent diverse Asian population but it doesn't touch NYC, LA, and the Bay Area.
I'll disagree somewhat as far as the Latino population is concerned. People tend to group all Mexicans together, but the FACT is that it is a very racially and culturally diverse nation itself. Many times you'll walk right past a Mexican and not even know it. In other words, a native of Tamaulipas and a native of Sonora are no more alike than a Dominican and a Rican.

Miami has a much greater proprtion of Caribbean Blacks, but they don't have as many Africans as Houston

Old 03-19-2017, 10:00 PM

2,984 posts, read 2,137,389 times
Uhm, Yes.

You're using a different source. I don't know how reliable wallethub is. The source I got my info from is the Kinder Institute at Rice University. I quote them "So substantial is the Houston region's diversity that it has become the nation's most racially/ethnically diverse large metropolitan area. It is more racially/ethnically diverse than the metropolitan region's of New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Miami, San Francisco and others".

I would copy and paste the links but I can't copy and paste on the device I use to post on this forum.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:52 PM

18,635 posts, read 27,042,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I'll disagree somewhat as far as the Latino population is concerned. People tend to group all Mexicans together, but the FACT is that it is a very racially and culturally diverse nation itself. Many times you'll walk right past a Mexican and not even know it. In other words, a native of Tamaulipas and a native of Sonora are no more alike than a Dominican and a Rican.

Miami has a much greater proprtion of Caribbean Blacks, but they don't have as many Africans as Houston
I can see if you look at that way. I would still put Miami and NYC over Houston with Latino's because they have more nationalities represented than Houston. Especially NYC. Houston is overwhelmingly Mexican. Miami is majority Cuban but it's not overwhelming and NYC has the most diverse with ease. However, the share of Mexicans within the Latino population is dropping because it has a fast growing Central American population from El Salvador and Honduras as well as a fast growing Colombian and Venezuelan population. Still Miami easily has a more diverse Latino population.

You are right with Africans in Houston but I would say that the Caribbean Black presence is far greater than the African (Nigerian mostly) culture in Houston. Again NYC dominates Houston as well on this. But that's a given.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:10 PM

3,511 posts, read 2,969,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Uhm, Yes.

You're using a different source. I don't know how reliable wallethub is. The source I got my info from is the Kinder Institute at Rice University. I quote them "So substantial is the Houston region's diversity that it has become the nation's most racially/ethnically diverse large metropolitan area. It is more racially/ethnically diverse than the metropolitan region's of New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Miami, San Francisco and others".

I would copy and paste the links but I can't copy and paste on the device I use to post on this forum.
Lol at reliability. Your source is from a Houston-based university, measures metropolitan areas rather than city propers, and is based off the Entropy Index, a calculation that only counts "the population of four major ethnic groups (white, black, Latino and Asian) and calculate[s] how close the total population was to having balanced percentages across the groups". Meaning, it's a homegrown study that is simplistic and inconsistent in what it measures.

Wallethub has been cited in the national press, such as NBC News, and has a methodology that is far less simplistic. Other studies, like the US2010 Project from Brown University and Penn State, also have Houston behind NYC, LA and DC (and others). I'm not doubting Houston's diversity, as it still ranks high on these lists, but the fact that the only study that shows "Houston" more diverse than NYC and LA is from Houston speaks volumes.

https://wallethub.com/edu/most-diverse-cities/12690/

Sylvester Turner calls Houston nation's most diverse city | PolitiFact Texas

Old 03-20-2017, 02:41 PM

406 posts, read 287,937 times
Out of all major cities in the country it's very obvious New York and Los Angeles are the largest melting pots with all different types of nationalities.

I agree that not all immigrants communicate with each other. I grew up in Staten Island and had cousins in Bay Ridge (Brooklyn), which at the time was majority Italian. The people that lived there didn't really interact with the neighboring area of Sunset Park which is majority hispanic.

Out of the ones you listed, I'd say that Houston is the most diverse. It's attracting a lot of people right now, and apparently it is one of the most diverse cities in the country after New York.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:55 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,792,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
OMG...Hialeah is one of the least diverse cities in the nation. It's not like I didn't already know that by just being there. It's like being in Cuba with American currency and newer cars.

As others have said, diversity is all about how it's measured and perceived. Even within cities and metros, diversity itself fluctuates as alike peoples tend to consolidate into individual communities like they have for hundreds of years in the US. Hialeah of today is really nothing more than today's version of Little Italy or Chinatown in ________<pick a city to insert> of yesteryear.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:22 PM

542 posts, read 312,269 times
New York City - by far. Sheer number of immigrants and how well they assimilate in NYC.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:29 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,879,218 times
Houston easily.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:16 AM

219 posts, read 130,777 times
DFW is the secondary American melting pot. We have people that move here from all around the country (CA, IL, NY etc. ) We also have a good amount from Africa countries and Asian countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or