Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has a true "melting pot" culture?
Philadelphia 4 6.35%
Baltimore 0 0%
Pittsburgh 1 1.59%
New Orleans 8 12.70%
Atlanta 1 1.59%
Charlotte 1 1.59%
Houston 33 52.38%
Dallas-Fort Worth 3 4.76%
Charleston, South Carolina 0 0%
Savannah, Georgia 2 3.17%
Washington, DC 10 15.87%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 01:07 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 4 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 975,507 times

Advertisements

Nyc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 01:39 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,171,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I used to live in the Baltimore area and generations of immigrants have always gone there, especially Irish, Germans, Italians, Polish, and Greeks as well as a lot of domestic migration from the Deep South, both black and white. Many people have mixed ancestries from various European countries, and most people can appreciate a good Greek spinach pie and a good Polish kielbasa though everyone is mostly American.

In LA you have a lot of Asian Americans (I am of Asian descent myself) who would hang out only with Asian friends, eat only Asian food, watch mostly Korean and Japanese dramas and anime even though Hollywood is right there. Los Angeles also has lots of Mexicans who speak little English even into the third generation and still live in exclusively Mexican neighborhoods.

In Miami the Cubans, Haitians, and Northeast transplants/snowbird all stay in their own separate worlds and often don't even live in the same parts of town.

In LA and New York most groups seem to keep their own distinct cultures and languages rather than interact with one another.
I do think New Orleans is a great melting pot where a lot of different cultures have really come together to create a unique style, which is what makes New Orleans such a unique city.
I disagree. While many groups might live separately, they hardly stay in their own separate worlds. There's a huge ton of group intermingling in any major city, but especially in New York and Los Angeles. Look at how many fusion restaurants there are. Go to any top 40 dance club over the weekend and you will see races from all over. Given legal mandates, the workplace is self-explanatory.

As far as your LA anecdote, I find that hard to believe. English is pretty much a necessity for survival these days, and the second and third generations are never that insulated. If anything, age is the greatest barrier to group intermingling. The older you are, the less likely you interact with other groups or speak English. Even fresh off the boat immigrants, if they are young, assimilate quickly into American society--they have no choice.

Again, I find it hard to believe you've left off New York and Los Angeles (and Chicago and the Bay, for that matter). Baltimore? Pittsburgh? Charlotte? Those are pretty much the very definition of black/white cities. No where even close to being a true melting pot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
That was a pretty arbitrary decision, that happens in all metro areas. Right or wrong we silo by culture, by race, by socioeconomics, etc. around the world...
Exactly.

Old 03-19-2017, 04:23 PM

992 posts, read 874,731 times
Overall, I would rank LA as number one, NY as number two, Miami as number 3, and Houston as number 4. On this poll, I picked Houston. I think you're wrong about NY and LA being super segregated by race. In LA, at least, there is quite a lot of mixing.

Old 03-19-2017, 04:44 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
Houston is the most racially and ethnically diverse region in the country, even more diverse than LA, NY, Chicago, San Francisco, Miami and New Orleans. You can't get too much more melting pot than that.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:20 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Houston is the most racially and ethnically diverse region in the country, even more diverse than LA, NY, Chicago, San Francisco, Miami and New Orleans. You can't get too much more melting pot than that.
Houston is definitely at the top on both categories but it's not more ethnically diverse than LA or NYC. It holds its own right behind these top two though. IMO, it's NYC. But on this list, it's between Houston and DC. I think DC slightly wins but it's not a runaway.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:49 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,536 times
Nyc!

Old 03-19-2017, 07:18 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Houston is definitely at the top on both categories but it's not more ethnically diverse than LA or NYC. It holds its own right behind these top two though. IMO, it's NYC. But on this list, it's between Houston and DC. I think DC slightly wins but it's not a runaway.
It's not just my opinion that Houston is the most racially and ethnically diverse big city in the United States. Its a documented fact. Google it. Theres all kinds of articles on the subject.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:40 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,171,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
It's not just my opinion that Houston is the most racially and ethnically diverse big city in the United States. Its a documented fact. Google it. Theres all kinds of articles on the subject.
No.

https://wallethub.com/edu/cities-wit...versity/10264/

https://wallethub.com/edu/most-diverse-cities/12690/

Old 03-19-2017, 09:13 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I know Houston has a large number of both domestic and international transplants and its true that Texas minorities seem to be more assimilated with the exception of the Rio Grande Valley (hence the other thread).

Are Mexicans more mixed in with others in Houston and speak more English, live a more diverse lifestyle than Laredo, etc?
Most Latinos in Houston are immigrants or the children of inmigrants, so there isn't as much assimilation as you'll find in San Antonio, which is the center of the Texas melting pot.

I still voted for Houston, though, even if New Orleans is the best answer

Old 03-19-2017, 09:17 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
I'm no expert on LA but the city is infamous for the friction that has existed between Blacks and Mexicans; something you just won't find in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.