U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 12:04 AM

12 posts, read 428,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
Perhaps you could look Oregon's Willamette Valley (Albany, Eugene, etc.)
Looks beautiful, but is it affordable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 07:54 AM

3,971 posts, read 3,507,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljbrandt View Post
These are some great suggestions guys, keep 'em coming.

Colorado Springs and Grand Rapids have both peaked my interest before, but it seems to be one of those (many) places that has a roughly equal good side and a bad side of town. I'm looking for a city that I'd be comfortable having my kids walk safely through 90%+ of it.

I will admit though, Grand Rapids has some really nice looking golf courses some a quick search.

I'll definitely have to do some more detailed analysis of the crime stats using other databases, such as Sterlings. But it's quite concerning to see a big red 'F' on the Area Vibes score for some of these places mentioned.

Some of the suburbs of Oklahoma and Indianapolis seem quite well regarded too, Edmond, OK and Carmel, IN for example, although very hilly or mountainous.
I think you're over generalizing based on numbers where in actuality you CAN walk safely through 90% of these cities with your kids. If you're truly looking for a life change it would serve you well to experience some of these things in person. Places like Grand Rapids have almost all crime confined to small sections of the city. It would be unfortunate to discount it without doing more research when it hits so many of your points. It's the fastest growing area in Michigan for a reason.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:58 AM

13,241 posts, read 24,468,192 times
Where is Colorado Springs on your list OP?

Old 03-21-2017, 07:59 AM

3,090 posts, read 2,133,726 times
Quote:
Colorado Springs and Grand Rapids have both peaked my interest before, but it seems to be one of those (many) places that has a roughly equal good side and a bad side of town. I'm looking for a city that I'd be comfortable having my kids walk safely through 90%+ of it.

Obviously you have to decide on how safe is safe. I would point out that in Colo Spgs there are 2 zip codes where the majority of violent crimes take place and they are typically perpetrated by persons the victims know, so it is not a wildly random problem. The city is 195 square miles. There really is no reason to walk through 90+% unless you really need something that absolutely can't be found within a few miles of your home, which is unlikely.

We have two Costcos, one fairly centrally located and one on the far east side, neither near the above two mentioned zip codes which are in the more southern part of the city.

We have over 20 golf courses if you include military and club courses. The Masters have had a few different events at the Broadmoor courses over the years. The altitude means your drives will carry further than at sea level. Colorado Springs, CO golf courses

You mention making a decent living. What would that entail? That can be a challenge in the Cos area, unless you are bringing a job with you. If so, then there is a point to the positive as Cos has been rated in the top 5 cities to be a telecommuter by a couple of different tech organizations. A by-product of the military and types of bases we have here is that we have a massive communications infrastructure already in place.

For views, what type do you want? You can find homes on the eastern side of the city with views of the mountains. Conversely, you can find homes in the foothills with views of the city and the plains. Even some foothills areas have vistas of the various hogbacks on the west side. Pikes Peak can be seen virtually everywhere in the city, unless your home has trees in front of that view or you are so close you have to look up.

We have over a dozen different school districts in the county and several of those districts as well as some individual schools within districts that are regularly top performers within the state. High school athletics as well as stem and robotics activities are also big here and many local teams are at state competitions for those activities as well.

Cos is also home to over 20 different craft breweries and several distilleries, so you will have plenty of selection there. Colorado Springs Beer Map - A Celebration of Local Beer

The Colo Spgs area has been a tourist destination for over a century. There is certainly plenty to do here. We are home to one of the US Olympic Training Centers so we have a regular stream of world class athletes coming here for training as well as some of the brightest in sports medicine that live here. We wouldn't see that if we were an unsafe place to be. Denver is an hour up the road for those times you feel the need to take in a major league sports event. Ski resorts are two hours west of here via US-24 without the traffic of I-70. Camping, hiking, biking, there is a lot going on in the Pikes Peak Region. The one thing on your list we lack is widespread greenery.

Your list is pretty broadly spread through out the US. I certainly don't envy you for having to whittle that down to a few locations on the final list.

Last edited by TCHP; 03-21-2017 at 08:12 AM..

Old 03-21-2017, 10:23 AM

992 posts, read 580,639 times
Quote:
Looks beautiful, but is it affordable?
I think so.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...48478959_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...48412666_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...02426555_zpid/

Last edited by Western Urbanite; 03-21-2017 at 10:35 AM..

Old 03-21-2017, 11:54 AM

23,686 posts, read 17,651,107 times
Quote:
These are some great suggestions guys, keep 'em coming.

I will admit though, Grand Rapids has some really nice looking golf courses some a quick search.

I'll definitely have to do some more detailed analysis of the crime stats using other databases, such as Sterlings. But it's quite concerning to see a big red 'F' on the Area Vibes score for some of these places mentioned.

Some of the suburbs of Oklahoma and Indianapolis seem quite well regarded too, Edmond, OK and Carmel, IN for example, although very hilly or mountainous.
I lived in Carmel for three years before moving back to Tennessee. Carmel is probably the most affluent city in Indiana. $250,000 will be a stretch - you may have to compromise on house size, condition, or be willing to live in a townhome, although sometimes you can get something nice for around that that is 2,000 sq. ft or more. Carmel is closer to Naperville than some of the prestigious North Shore communities though.

I'm not a golfer, but there are a significant number of golf courses and country clubs in the area. Public schools and the local park system ("Central Park" has a terrific gym/fitness center, as well as the best public water park in the metro) are fantastic. There is nearly no crime in Carmel.

There is a Costco in Indianapolis probably ten minutes from the Carmel city limits, and another one on the west side of Indy a few miles south of west Carmel. Unless you're shopping at Bloomingdale's, you can find virtually anything you need in Carmel or within a couple of miles of Carmel in the city limits of Indy. A new IKEA is going up in adjacent Fishers.

Coming from TN, the biggest adjustment for me were the lack of friendly people, limited outdoor recreation/boring terrain, and lack of sun in the winter. It's not all that much colder than where I'm from, but the lack of sun for sometimes days on end sucks - similar to Chicago. You also don't get many winter days that get up into the 60s or so that you get in the South.

I read a stat somewhere that Indianapolis has the least access to recreational water of any major city, obviously no mountains or beaches, and even decent state parks are an hour away from most of the metro.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:39 PM

648 posts, read 426,885 times
Peachtree City meets all of your requirements minus the Costco. I think the nearest is 45 minutes away. There is a Sam's club, but I know that's not the same. There are also a ton of midwest transplants here, and it's very convenient to Alabama via I-85.

It's a master planned, upper middle class suburb with over 100 miles of interconnected golf cart paths that meander around lakes, golf courses, parks, and green spaces. Kids as young as 12 can drive with parental supervision and kids 15 and older can drive solo. It's the preferred means of transportation at the local high schools. It' also one of the safest cities in the country and the schools are outstanding.

48. Peachtree City, GA | TIME

Peachtree City, GA - Official Website

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/15-...sh-high-school

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tV2b6rpBYk

Old 03-23-2017, 01:48 PM

12 posts, read 428,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Dad View Post
Peachtree City meets all of your requirements minus the Costco. I think the nearest is 45 minutes away. There is a Sam's club, but I know that's not the same. There are also a ton of midwest transplants here, and it's very convenient to Alabama via I-85.

It's a master planned, upper middle class suburb with over 100 miles of interconnected golf cart paths that meander around lakes, golf courses, parks, and green spaces. Kids as young as 12 can drive with parental supervision and kids 15 and older can drive solo. It's the preferred means of transportation at the local high schools. It' also one of the safest cities in the country and the schools are outstanding.

48. Peachtree City, GA | TIME

Peachtree City, GA - Official Website

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/15-...sh-high-school

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tV2b6rpBYk

Thanks PTC Dad

Since we live so close, this will definitely be a site that we visit soon and is already on our short list (wife likes the idea of staying relativity near her family). Any concerns about the community trending in the wrong direction with ATL migrants coming into he surrounding areas as of late....I heard this only anecdotally.

Old 03-23-2017, 03:34 PM

48 posts, read 48,757 times
You might also want to consider Southern New Hampshire. Nashua is a good size city even has a Costco. No state income or sales tax. Very low unemployment and crime rates, excellent schools and lot's of open land nearby with plenty of outdoor activities. It' only about an Hour from Boston but still feels pretty rural.

Coming from down south the winters could be a shock at first but I found that having a winter hobby..Skiing, snowshoeing, ice fishing or snowmobiling etc. gives you a reason to look forward to winters. If you are a little bit out of the city here some years you don't even need air conditioning in the summer. There is a reason New Hampshire is picked as one of the best states to live in every year.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:34 PM

648 posts, read 426,885 times
Quote:
Thanks PTC Dad

Since we live so close, this will definitely be a site that we visit soon and is already on our short list (wife likes the idea of staying relativity near her family). Any concerns about the community trending in the wrong direction with ATL migrants coming into he surrounding areas as of late....I heard this only anecdotally.
If anything it's getting more affluent due to the recent 30% pay raise for Delta Pilots over the next 5 years (I think PTC is home to over 3,000 pilots), and the influx of film studios. Pinewood studios in Fayetteville (just north of PTC) just announced Disney is planning to spend $1 Billion on the next 2 Avenger movies set to be filmed at Pinewood Studios, and The Walking Dead is still filming just south of Peachtree City. In fact the CEO of Chick-fil-A and Fayette County resident, billionaire, Dan Cathy is one of the backers of Pinewood Studio and the new Pinewood Forrest Development. Heck, you may want to even consider Pinewood Forrest.

I'd say with the Film industry's increasing presence, Delta Airline's growth, as well as the close proximity of Chickfila and Porche's headquarters to Peachtree City, things are only getting better.

Also real estate prices keep going up. In fact, PTC has been in the top 50 hottest real estate markets in the nation for the past 2 years, and the average home price was around 500K last year.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300332324.html

Could Pinewood Forrest be the next Serenbe? - Atlanta Magazine

Definitely come check it out, and rent a golf cart for the day to truly see Peachtree City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or