U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 01:12 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,308,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
I have lived in the NY metro area basically my whole life, and I love the area but HATE the weather. 8 or 9 months out of the year the weather is cold, dark, rainy, windy and just miserable. Summer is nice but only lasts about 3 months, and fall tends to get shorter each year.

I LOVE Cities like Sarasota FL, Naples FL, St Augustine, FL, Phoenix AZ, Houston TX, and L.A, because my field is strong in all those cities, but don't have much family support in those cities (except Sarasota and L.A.).

If I moved just for better weather would that be a dumb decision or do I stay?
8-9 Months of the year cold + dark? More like 4-5 max, with only 3-4 being really cold/dark and one being rainy. I love Summer and I love the heat, but here in NY a lot of people hate it. I thought the general consensus among NYers was that Fall and Spring had the best weather. Summer in NY is still my favorite time though.

Anyway, it's up to you. I don't think it's stupid at all. I'm not a fan of the weather here either myself, but I personally think NYC is well worth it. If you don't really care for the NYC life then you definitely should consider moving to somewhere with better weather because why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 01:26 PM

1,900 posts, read 830,113 times
Well I feel this is obvious..... but still... if the "more" important things are covered then weather of course can be a very valid factor in a decision of a new location. But if it is the only factor while all others are ignored (i.e. employment, col etc.) then I'd call silly of course.

On a side note and purely from my perspective or my subjective opinion on it, with no hard evidence to support it, I think people who live in sunnier (warmer) places are generally happier people, if all else is equal.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:15 PM

4,856 posts, read 2,984,533 times
I don't think NYC is dark 8 or 9 months a year.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:43 PM

7,822 posts, read 12,328,370 times
I don't know if I'll move JUST because of weather, though I live in a relatively temperature area in West Virginia. It may be different if I live in Minneapolis and suffer from seasonal depression.

However, weather can definitely play a factor. If I'm offered the same job in New Orleans vs Chicago, I would definitely go with New Orleans!

Old 03-19-2017, 02:51 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 20 days ago)

10,485 posts, read 14,320,905 times
How much does the weather affect your mood, your daily activities, your overall lifestyle?
If your idea of fun is hanging out at the gym and hitting the clubs after, it's going to be a little different than someone who lives for the beach and backyard BBQ.

Old 03-19-2017, 04:33 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,664,674 times
Not stupid at all. There are many different reasons. When I was living in Portland, OR a friend who had moved there finally had to move back to Florida because her Seasonal Affective Disorder became untreatable. She lasted eight years in Portland using vitamin D and special lights but finally couldn't take the overcast, damp weather there.

The weather wherever you live can have a profound affect on your well being. I would go nuts living in a sunny climate all year long.

Old 03-19-2017, 04:42 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,884,064 times
Snap reaction is to say "yes", but then you realize the psychical, economical, emotional, and psychological effects weather can have on a person. I mean apparently even shoveling snow can cause a heart attack.

If you lost your entire house to a hurricane when you were 10, I could understand being hesitant to get back to the coast as a grown up. And if the weather is really gloomy and rainy most of the year, then yeah, that affects your mood big time.

Weather is another factor, just like traffic, jobs, schools, proximity, natural disasters, taxes, culture, demographics, etc. I wouldn't move solely based on weather, "oh, Florida is sunny, I'm going there!!" or "oh, Colorado has snow and I like to ski, I'm going there!!", but I'd weigh it in the decision.

If you're able to leave and really want to, then try to land a job and go enjoy yourself.

Old 03-19-2017, 04:46 PM

18,529 posts, read 9,580,194 times
Weather or rather climate is a big factor in my decision factors on where to live.

Old 03-19-2017, 04:59 PM

6,570 posts, read 3,664,491 times
Weather, jobs/economy, and family issues rank among the top reasons to move or not. I live where the climate is wonderful but the economy is on the ropes. Retirees are moving in but many young people seem to be moving out. Family ties keep some young people from moving even though it would be beneficial for jobs or education.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:05 PM

43,557 posts, read 52,667,627 times
It's not dumb and I learned the hard way that I require TONS of sunshine to be happy. Luckily, I learned it early on before any bad major decisions were made.

SAD is real. Be aware. I really think that is why people from gloomy climates are such grouches. They can't help it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.