U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 12:07 PM

2,233 posts, read 1,513,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
People don't mind being cold. If they did, the biggest cities in the world would cease to exist. Lame statement.
Not lame at all. Before AC and modern medicine people built cities in cold climates because life expectancy was higher. No heat exhaustion or malaria, etc. now those days are behind us and the cold cities in our country will continue to diminish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 12:19 PM

17,271 posts, read 19,566,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post
I'd take the blowing sand and searing heat of my desert home over the threat of hurricanes, tornadoes, and blizzards, any day.
Wait a minute. Are you putting blizzards in the same category as hurricanes and tornadoes? lol.

Old 03-23-2017, 03:45 AM

706 posts, read 514,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Wait a minute. Are you putting blizzards in the same category as hurricanes and tornadoes? lol.
For a desert human, a blizzard would be a nightmare. The city already effectively shuts down after just two inches.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:05 AM

686 posts, read 401,075 times
Blizzards are awesome and fun. Then again, when we moved to FL, locals told me that anything less than a Cat. 3 is just an excuse for a hurricane party. Only been through a tropical storm and the fringes of a Cat. 1, but so far they've been right.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:48 AM

17,271 posts, read 19,566,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post
For a desert human, a blizzard would be a nightmare. The city already effectively shuts down after just two inches.

All you do is stay cozy inside, munch on some food, work from home, spend time with the family, maybe watch some movies, go outside and build a snowman, etc., until the roads are cleared.

Unlike hurricanes and tornadoes, blizzards cause very little physical damage to anything.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:57 AM

295 posts, read 204,738 times
Weather is a great reason to move. If you're an outdoor person and have a lot of outdoor hobbies, it's very difficult to live in a cold weather area (unless your hobby is snowmobiling). I started playing golf 3 years ago and one of the biggest reasons I'm anticipating a future move is so I can play all year round. Many courses here close down for 4-5 months of the year. Even if there is an abnormally warm winter day, only a few courses will open up. And the few that are open will be packed with people and the ground conditions will be very poor. I like cycling too and it's very unpleasant cycling in freezing weather with high wind chills.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:21 AM

4,857 posts, read 2,993,379 times
Quote:
All you do is stay cozy inside, munch on some food, work from home, spend time with the family, maybe watch some movies, go outside and build a snowman, etc., until the roads are cleared.

Unlike hurricanes and tornadoes, blizzards cause very little physical damage to anything.
This. Essentially, if we know snow is coming, we just stay home. The expectations from employers is to let you work from home. And that is awesome. Hot chocolate, watching movies, alcohol.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:23 AM

380 posts, read 406,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Seems like a step in the wrong direction If we're going to IMPROVE weather, I'd suggest Honolulu, San Diego, LA or S. Florida.
Not necessarily. Some people actually prefer hot and humid climate after living in bone-chilling cold places like Minnesota for years.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:21 AM

3,376 posts, read 4,829,117 times
Quote:

Depends on the job you got. If the visibility is down to mere feet in front of you and cars are slipping and sliding all over the place, this eighteen wheeler isn't going anywhere!!
Yeah, it might cause me to get fired for the umpteenth time, but a truck job is easier to find after an insubordination firing as opposed to a preventable accident firing.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:04 PM

5,616 posts, read 3,946,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Not lame at all. Before AC and modern medicine people built cities in cold climates because life expectancy was higher. No heat exhaustion or malaria, etc. now those days are behind us and the cold cities in our country will continue to diminish.
Tell that to NYC. Tell that to London. Tell that to Toyko. Tell that to Moscow. Tell that to Toronto. Tell that to Denver. Catch my drift?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.