U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 10:31 AM

29,873 posts, read 27,324,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Here's where you're wrong. Its easy to explain, so Ill keep this short and sweet:

1) Low income? All major cities in all major states are blue for the most part, that's where a vast majority of the poverty is. Detroit, Chicago, Newark, NYC, Miami, New Orleans, St. Louis... horrible poverty. Blue cities.

2) Crime? Same areas/cities also breed nearly ALLLLL the crime. Blue cities.

3) Obesity? That's not limited to blue/red states. That's a problem regardless of political stance!

4) Racism? Yes, some areas have issues. Every race has racists. A black guy walking through Wheaton, IL isn't going to have any problems. I white guy walking through South Chicago will. Now, tell me, who is racist? Stopping at words/thoughts like most white racists? Or widespread physical violence from black racists? Considering the Republicans are the ones who freed the slaves, stood with MLK (who was himself a Republican), etc, I think the racism leans heavily towards the left. You know, the same group of people who seceded from the US because they thought blacks were property. The same people who invented the KKK. The same people who signed the Jim Crow Laws into effect. Even your beloved Hillary was endorsed by the KKK Grand Dragon. Lovely stuff there. Funny how she hasn't been to any inner cities like she promised during her campaign. Nope, like the typical Dem she is, she's all talk, making empty promises to get votes. But Trump has reached out to the black community several times since taking office, and has an African American on his cabinet who is appointed to help out the struggling inner cities.

5) Teen pregnancy? The most prevalent in the blue cities, by far.
Good God, where does one start...

Old 03-20-2017, 10:34 AM

406 posts, read 287,705 times
Quote:
Here's where you're wrong. Its easy to explain, so Ill keep this short and sweet:

1) Low income? All major cities in all major states are blue for the most part, that's where a vast majority of the poverty is. Detroit, Chicago, Newark, NYC, Miami, New Orleans, St. Louis... horrible poverty. Blue cities.

2) Crime? Same areas/cities also breed nearly ALLLLL the crime. Blue cities.

3) Obesity? That's not limited to blue/red states. That's a problem regardless of political stance!

4) Racism? Yes, some areas have issues. Every race has racists. A black guy walking through Wheaton, IL isn't going to have any problems. I white guy walking through South Chicago will. Now, tell me, who is racist? Stopping at words/thoughts like most white racists? Or widespread physical violence from black racists? Considering the Republicans are the ones who freed the slaves, stood with MLK (who was himself a Republican), etc, I think the racism leans heavily towards the left. You know, the same group of people who seceded from the US because they thought blacks were property. The same people who invented the KKK. The same people who signed the Jim Crow Laws into effect. Even your beloved Hillary was endorsed by the KKK Grand Dragon. Lovely stuff there. Funny how she hasn't been to any inner cities like she promised during her campaign. Nope, like the typical Dem she is, she's all talk, making empty promises to get votes. But Trump has reached out to the black community several times since taking office, and has an African American on his cabinet who is appointed to help out the struggling inner cities.

Agreed 100%. Especially with your 4th point.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:50 AM

871 posts, read 821,894 times
Quote:

False.

"While the overall rate of poverty is higher in nonmetro counties than in metro, the difference between nonmetro/metro poverty rates varies significantly across regions"

https://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/rura...f-poverty.aspx

Quote:
False, by far.

https://www.usnews.com/news/data-min...in-rural-areas

Bonus falsehood!: MLK was not a Republican.
Van Cleave wrongly says Martin Luther King Jr. was a Republican | PolitiFact Virginia

What is pretty much undisputed is that when someone is obviously wrong three times (at least) in one post, they're a bald-faced liar.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:19 AM

12,414 posts, read 11,910,584 times
Quote:
Not true any longer.

A higher percentage of urban residents are still poor, but higher absolute numbers of poor people live in suburbs than cities today.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:03 PM

138 posts, read 84,500 times
Lets make some things clear. I know this is a controversial thing to talk about, that is why I wrote from a neutral Point of view. I'm not blue or red (not even American) so I'm not biased at all. I just want the facts.
So lets break it down:

1. avarage income: the bottom 10-15 states are all red and the top 9 are blue. Only 4 red states above avarage US income. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ates_by_income

2. People under poverty line: again, only 2 blue states in the bottom 15. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...y_poverty_rate

3. Crime: if we look at murder rate; 3 blue states in the bottom 15. 2 red states in top 10. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._homicide_rate

4. Obesity and teen pregnancy is by more prevalent in the South and both are good indicators of poverty.

These are just a few things to look at, if we look at how many have insurance, bachelors degree and even divorce we would see same pattern (the first two being less prevalent; the last one being more).

So if we stick to facts, ofc places like Detroit and New York have huge problems but when it comes down to red vs. blue states overall, that is what I'm asking for.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:07 PM

7,581 posts, read 3,992,169 times
the south generally has much lower cost of living. keep in mind there is a ton of people moving out of blue states to move to southern red states. obviously the salaries must be enticing.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:36 PM

1,826 posts, read 1,248,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
the south generally has much lower cost of living. keep in mind there is a ton of people moving out of blue states to move to southern red states. obviously the salaries must be enticing.
This does leave some questions. Aside from the fact that Brad's data is not taking into account COL, which is a major issue. It is rare for there to be so much migration from one part of the world to a "less desirable" part, except with maybe reverse migration. Obviously, despite what the states provided say, many parts of the South must be doing some things correct that make them better at attracting people. It can't just be weather because, one, everyone would be flocking to California and Hawaii, and two who the heck moves to Texas for the weather!?!?! The Northeast and Midwest must have god-awful weather if it is driving people to move to Texas for weather.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:40 PM

138 posts, read 84,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Yes, perhaps. But to quote myself "People under poverty line: only 2 blue states in the bottom 15."

If you living under the poverty line does not mean it's cheap, it means you are struggling.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:42 PM

4,852 posts, read 8,988,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
Yes, like all major cities in the country, the inner core of the big Texas cities are blue, but once you get into the suburbs its majority red (the wealthiest suburbs of Dallas and Houston, for example, voted Republican this last election, thankfully)
Wrong! Fort Bend County was blue in the presidential election.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:45 PM

12,414 posts, read 11,910,584 times
IIRC, if you factor in wages and COL, the Midwest tends to do the best, although the U.S. doesn't breakdown on regional lines.

This study found the top 10 performers were WY, WA, VA, ND, TX, OH, MI, CO, IL, and MN. The bottom 10 were NM, RI, SC, MT, NY, VT, CA, ME, WV, OR, and HI. So the top 10 are pretty much evenly split, but the bottom 10 lean blue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.