Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 02:45 PM

154 posts, read 197,852 times

Advertisements

If we look at it from a neutral and statistical Point of view; most red states (mostly in the South) have low avarage income, many people under poverty line, high crime rates, high obesity rates, racism, lots of teen pregnancy etc., and just often rank low among US states in most terms. Are there any republican/red states that actually do well (per capita so to speak)? I'm thinking what about outside the Deep South, like Utah or Arizona? Or perhaps Alaska or Montana?

*Republican/red state = state that often/'always' vote republican in state/national elections and where a majority of the people view themselves as conservative and/or republican.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:47 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
You aren't going to like the answers if the population is disaggregated.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:52 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
I'd say that Texas, Georgia, Florida, and North Carolina are doing quite well. Virginia is also a red state outside the DC suburbs. Colorado traditionally was a red state though its being transformed by California transplants and illegal immigrants unfortunately. Alaska is very wealthy and residents actually get free checks from the oil industry revenue.

While blue states like New Jersey, New York, Michigan (and Ohio/Pennsylvania which might have finally learned their lessons at last) have been hemorraghing jobs for years with their overregulation and high taxes. Tennessee, Texas and Georgia have gained more automaking jobs than Detroit has lost.

And even in the Red States with poor stats, those stats are often driven down by Democratic areas. For example, both New Orleans and Baton Rouge are Democrat on the local level and drag down Louisiana in terms of crime, poverty, education levels, etc because of their ghettoes. The city of Atlanta itself (the inner city not the suburbs) also drags down Georgia's stats. Missouri's stats are definitely dragged down by St. Louis and by ghetto suburbs like Ferguson. Memphis is also a very bad Democrat city in a mostly Republican state, same with the illegal immigrant crime and drug trafficking in South Texas.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:05 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,211,422 times
North Dakota and Wyoming are very low population red states, but they have above average incomes, low poverty and unemployment, and among the nation's highest share of intact family households. Utah does very well on most metrics as well, with the exception of per capita income due to its very high proportion of children.

The statistical reality is complex getting more granular than the state level, but it is interesting that of the 30 states voting Republican for president last year, only 2 (Utah and Kansas) have a proportion of college graduates above the national average. Of the 20 states voting Democratic for president, just 3 (New Mexico, Nevada and Maine) have a below average share of college graduates. Again this is regarding total populations (including non-voters), not the behavior of individuals, and some states diverged from their usual political leanings in 2016.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:10 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
And even in the Red States with poor stats, those stats are often driven down by Democratic areas. For example, both New Orleans and Baton Rouge are Democrat on the local level and drag down Louisiana in terms of crime, poverty, education levels, etc because of their ghettoes. The city of Atlanta itself (the inner city not the suburbs) also drags down Georgia's stats. Missouri's stats are definitely dragged down by St. Louis and by ghetto suburbs like Ferguson. Memphis is also a very bad Democrat city in a mostly Republican state, same with the illegal immigrant crime and drug trafficking in South Texas.
exactly, i always see blue state liberals on here beating up on 'red states' but the bad stats are largely due to the Democrat voters here.

and they make up the racism in the south today. when the south was racist, it was owned by the Democratic party. For example, FDR got 98 percent of the vote in SC in 1932.

one curious thing that i've noticed about liberals on here is they are really focused on state obesity 'rates' as though obesity is an infectious disease or something

Last edited by ClemVegas; 03-19-2017 at 03:22 PM..

Old 03-19-2017, 03:24 PM

1,180 posts, read 984,225 times
Quote:
I'd say that Texas, Georgia, Florida, and North Carolina are doing quite well. Virginia is also a red state outside the DC suburbs. Colorado traditionally was a red state though its being transformed by California transplants and illegal immigrants unfortunately. Alaska is very wealthy and residents actually get free checks from the oil industry revenue.

While blue states like New Jersey, New York, Michigan (and Ohio/Pennsylvania which might have finally learned their lessons at last) have been hemorraghing jobs for years with their overregulation and high taxes. Tennessee, Texas and Georgia have gained more automaking jobs than Detroit has lost.

Atlanta does not drag down Georgia's stats. The rural areas outside metro Atlanta are the poorest(https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/uni...in-poverty#map)

The city of Atlanta includes Buckhead, one of the most affluent places in the US. The core counties of the Atlanta metro all voted from Clinton in the 2016 election. Atlanta is also a fairly small city with a population of around 447,000 and Georgia with a total population of 9.9 million. Atlanta, even if it were the worst, could not account for the majority Georgia's low rankings. The most violent city in Georgia is College Park, not Atlanta.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:29 PM

the nice suburbs of ATL tend to vote Republican as do mnost burbs in the south.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:33 PM

1,180 posts, read 984,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
exactly, i always see blue state liberals on here beating up on 'red states' but the bad stats are largely due to the Democrat voters here.

and they make up the racism in the south today. when the south was racist, it was owned by the Democratic party. For example, FDR got 98 percent of the vote in SC in 1932.

one curious thing that i've noticed about liberals on here is they are really focused on state obesity 'rates' as though obesity is an infectious disease or something
It is well known that the two main parties essentially switched platforms(Why Did the Democratic and Republican Parties Switch Platforms?)

Red states do tend to rank lower when comparing health and education. Obesity has long term affects on the quality of life of an individual. Not to mention the cost to treat diabetes and hypertension which lead to loss of limbs and kidney disease. It is a drain on the workforce. Genetics and living in environments that encourage poor eating and a lack of exercise can be almost generational.

But I'm southerner and despite all of the south's faults I prefer it. The best people to improve the south and the people from here in my opinion. I think Georgia is a great place. It's getting more progressive every year.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:37 PM

that is Democrat party political propaganda. If they switched platforms, then GOP would support slavery, segregation, Jim Crow, lynching, etc. None of that is true.

You guys tried to say white racists started to switch with Nixon who was for civil rights. obviously that is not a plausible theory. you think if you repeat it enough, people will believe it.

i don't see anything progressive about most places that are run by Democrats. Detroit, Chicago, etc are progressive?

nobody is saying being obese is ideal. what I'm saying is I see liberals always talking about obese people. it seems like fat shaming to me. many liberals seem to love associating southerners with obesity and I think this is rooted in their politics. What they are trying to say is average GOP voter is obese. yet in the south obesity is probably more common among the poor Democrat voters.

I think obesity is a private medical matter between a physician and a patient. And i dont' think there are more obese people in the south than elsewhere. the per capita stats make less populated areas look worse than they are.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:38 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
I'd say that Texas, Georgia, Florida, and North Carolina are doing quite well. Virginia is also a red state outside the DC suburbs.
First, Virginia isn't "red" outside of Northern Virginia. Richmond, Norfolk, Newport News, Portsmouth, Hampton, Charlottesville, Blacksburg and other smaller areas are blue. Overall Clinton won Virginia in 2016 by 5% (50%-45%). Additionally the areas in Texas, Georgia, Florida and North Carolina that are "doing well" are largely blue, look at the voting maps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.