U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities pull above their weight in "apparent density" not "actual density"
Las Vegas 6 12.50%
New Orleans 22 45.83%
Orlando 1 2.08%
San Francisco 19 39.58%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 10:01 PM

16 posts, read 10,634 times

Advertisements

Surprised Miami hasn't been mentioned. It's highly dense, very international (MIA is the 2nd largest gateway airport after JFK), is a major tourist destination, and is the 3rd "skyscraper city" after NYC and Chicago, all while having <500k people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 11:28 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,310,086 times
I've been to all of these but New Orleans.

So out of the other 3, I would pick Vegas. When people visit Vegas they go to the strip and Fremont street, and those areas are always packed so it may seem like Vegas has a lot of people, but really it just has a lot of tourists. Most of the people you'll see in Vegas will be other tourists.

SF did actually feel kind of small to me, but I also felt like I was somewhere very important at the same time.

Orlando - I can't say anything about the actual city itself. I've been there but only for Disney and Universal.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:55 AM

3,961 posts, read 3,495,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burg_phil View Post
Surprised Miami hasn't been mentioned. It's highly dense, very international (MIA is the 2nd largest gateway airport after JFK), is a major tourist destination, and is the 3rd "skyscraper city" after NYC and Chicago, all while having <500k people.
That less than 500k number is meaningless since it anchors one of the most populated metropolitan areas in the country. It doesn't even cover 36sq mi of that metropolitan area.

I am starting a campaign to educate people about city pop. Worst, most arbitrary metric possible. The only thing you can garner from it is how many people live within it's arbitrary non uniform boundaries. Who's with me?

#citypopisuseless

Old 03-22-2017, 07:12 AM

13,420 posts, read 16,970,511 times
Tourist cites always feel bigger than they are because of ... tourists

Old 03-22-2017, 07:51 AM

10,793 posts, read 9,432,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
OK, thanks. But that doesn't change my answer. It is Las Vegas. On the Strip, and to some degree downtown, it seems like millions live here. But in truth it is a smallish, but growing, metro. I believe it has around just under 600,000 in the city, and about 2.1 million in the MSA. Both figures are higher than New Orleans, but we are comparing apples and oranges.

As for San Francisco, it should be noted that it is an unusually small land area city, thus limiting the total population to some extent. San Francisco has a large population in relation to its land area. Seattle is similar, but has more land area than SF, though still smallish.
I definitely got that vibe in Vegas as well. I get that vibe in New Orleans as well and it's even more extreme because New Orleans is a small metro area. But downtown it feels like a bustling city.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:03 AM

1,419 posts, read 578,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
That less than 500k number is meaningless since it anchors one of the most populated metropolitan areas in the country. It doesn't even cover 36sq mi of that metropolitan area.

I am starting a campaign to educate people about city pop. Worst, most arbitrary metric possible. The only thing you can garner from it is how many people live within its arbitrary nonuniform boundaries. Who's with me?

#citypopisuseless
I agree on this front, especially in how metros play a role.

To expand on that, I would like to add geography too. I think the topic for this thread is a little more appropriate for cities where the city core doesn't border or close to a suburb/neighboring city. So I feel this question would be more appropriate for cities like Chicago or Denver.

Places like SF, NYC, Miami, etc, their cores and busy areas, border other cities or very near, that are quite busy and add that much more of a bigger feel to it. I mean with San Francisco you have Oakland across the bay, NYC Jersey City has it's own skyline, downtown and everything. There is more of mish mash for those cities, where the metro and geography plays a role.

A city like Chicago I think this thread is more appropriate, becasuse the core part of the city, the densest and most active part, is pretty much pretty far from the suburbs, and those who commute into the city from outside strictly are in downtown. So I feel that is where it makes the most sense.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:43 PM

16 posts, read 10,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Tourist cites always feel bigger than they are because of ... tourists
I see your point, but would you agree this is equally true of SF?

Old 03-22-2017, 05:47 PM

5,552 posts, read 3,704,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post

I am starting a campaign to educate people about city pop. Worst, most arbitrary metric possible. The only thing you can garner from it is how many people live within it's arbitrary non uniform boundaries. Who's with me?

#citypopisuseless
I understand your campaign but don't completely agree with it. Cities operate their own government, and thus can pass laws and/or taxes that affect just those residents. A city can be large or small, and certainly can be part of a much larger area, (in most cases they do), but they are important to the individual residents who happen to live inside the city boundaries. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "non uniform boundaries".

Old 03-23-2017, 10:45 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,140,398 times
The last time I was in San Jose - From DT SF to Monterey it didn't seem as large as the actual population indicates.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:50 AM

3,961 posts, read 3,495,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I understand your campaign but don't completely agree with it. Cities operate their own government, and thus can pass laws and/or taxes that affect just those residents. A city can be large or small, and certainly can be part of a much larger area, (in most cases they do), but they are important to the individual residents who happen to live inside the city boundaries. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "non uniform boundaries".
Right I don't disagree with you on that. When comparing one city to another using population statistics, or determining city X feels bigger than it's population would suggest. Not taking all other factors that contribute to the cities feel is nave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.