U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which cities pull above their weight in "apparent density" not "actual density"
Las Vegas 6 12.50%
New Orleans 22 45.83%
Orlando 1 2.08%
San Francisco 19 39.58%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 03-23-2017, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
8,719 posts, read 7,669,607 times
Reputation: 7619

Advertisements

So the question is basically, which city has lots of tourists who don't live there?

Kinda dumb.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-23-2017, 07:38 PM
 
Location: Washington State desert
5,532 posts, read 3,683,135 times
Reputation: 4115
uh huh. I guess this entire thread is based on that. But it does offer some informational content.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 03-23-2017 at 08:22 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2017, 12:34 AM
 
Location: Seattle WA, USA
3,929 posts, read 2,211,473 times
Reputation: 2610
I know it's not in the US, but Victoria BC seems to be a lot larger than it is. The metro area only has a population of 367,770 but seems to be way larger, at least 500,000 if not 1 million.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Vi...656444!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.4222...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Vi...4d-123.3656444

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.4266...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.4252...7i13312!8i6656

Also I think a lot of the rust belt/legacy cities are going to feel a lot larger since they used to be back in the past, but have retained the infrastructure and buildings.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2017, 08:10 AM
 
Location: The Springs
1,770 posts, read 2,136,680 times
Reputation: 1850
Salt Lake City is unique. The city is only 190,000 with the metro of 1.3M and an urban area of 2.4M
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2017, 09:22 AM
 
Location: Mobile,Al(the city by the bay)
3,785 posts, read 6,517,375 times
Reputation: 1542
K
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I know it's not in the US, but Victoria BC seems to be a lot larger than it is. The metro area only has a population of 367,770 but seems to be way larger, at least 500,000 if not 1 million.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Vi...656444!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.4222...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Vi...4d-123.3656444

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.4266...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.4252...7i13312!8i6656

Also I think a lot of the rust belt/legacy cities are going to feel a lot larger since they used to be back in the past, but have retained the infrastructure and buildings.
Yeah I would say that It defiantly seems like it's a metro of maybe 1.5 million.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2017, 06:56 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
10,779 posts, read 9,411,925 times
Reputation: 6137
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I know it's not in the US, but Victoria BC seems to be a lot larger than it is. The metro area only has a population of 367,770 but seems to be way larger, at least 500,000 if not 1 million.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Vi...656444!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.4222...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Vi...4d-123.3656444

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.4266...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.4252...7i13312!8i6656

Also I think a lot of the rust belt/legacy cities are going to feel a lot larger since they used to be back in the past, but have retained the infrastructure and buildings.
That doesn't seem that crowded. It looks like a beautiful city though.

Here's New Orleans, only 385,000 people in the city (1.2 million metro):

Jackson Square (main park):
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9569...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Canal Streetcar (look how full it is):
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9531...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Busy street corner on Canal/Carondelet:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9537...8i6656!6m1!1e1

St. Charles Streetcar (downtown):
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9519...8i6656!6m1!1e1
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2017, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Seattle WA, USA
3,929 posts, read 2,211,473 times
Reputation: 2610
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
That doesn't seem that crowded. It looks like a beautiful city though.

Here's New Orleans, only 385,000 people in the city (1.2 million metro):

Jackson Square (main park):
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9569...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Canal Streetcar (look how full it is):
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9531...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Busy street corner on Canal/Carondelet:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9537...8i6656!6m1!1e1

St. Charles Streetcar (downtown):
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9519...8i6656!6m1!1e1
Yeah but the city its self has only 85,792 people, try finding another city in North America that has such a small population with such a large and dense downtown.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2017, 09:11 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
10,779 posts, read 9,411,925 times
Reputation: 6137
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Yeah but the city its self has only 85,792 people, try finding another city in North America that has such a small population with such a large and dense downtown.
Charleston, SC would be it:

City 120,083
Urban 548,404 (US: 76th)
MSA (2015) 744,526 (US: 75th)

Urban areas:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ch...310512!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ch...310512!6m1!1e1

Residential areas:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ch...310512!6m1!1e1
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top