U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which gives a better overall Ideal on a Cities true Population?
Independent City 4 50.00%
Consolidated City-County 4 50.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-22-2017, 11:40 AM
 
Location: ATLANTA
2,129 posts, read 1,426,806 times
Reputation: 1609

Advertisements

Consolidated City-County Governments, do they tell the True story about the City?? As we know there are several City-County Governments across the US, some that have been Consolidated for years and other's that were recently formed due to it's Inner City Population falling or just to gain a sense of Unity between City-County Governments. My question is do Consolidated Cities really tell the True story of that Cities Population or do you feel it just fabricates the Population giving the Cities massive jumps. Example Cities would be Indianapolis-Marion County, Indiana , Louisville-Jefferson County, Kentucky, Nashville-Davidson County, Tennessee, Macon-Bibb County, Georgia, Jacksonville-Duval County, Florida, Augusta–Richmond County, Georgia. Philly and City and County of San Francisco, California are examples as well. There are tons that are considering Consolidation and even others that have some Consolidated Services but not fully Consolidated as a government like Miami-Dade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-22-2017, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
992 posts, read 577,215 times
Reputation: 601
I really like them and think they should be mire universal. Seperate suburban municipalities don't make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2017, 01:41 PM
 
870 posts, read 751,115 times
Reputation: 1006
It would be great if they were proper mergers, with the incorporated suburbs becoming parts of the cities, but that is not how it has worked in the most high profile examples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2017, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Newark, NJ
156 posts, read 115,358 times
Reputation: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
I really like them and think they should be mire universal. Seperate suburban municipalities don't make sense.
What do you mean by serperate suburban municipalities not making sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2017, 02:31 PM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
11,810 posts, read 18,792,885 times
Reputation: 11136
No. They don't tell the true story. In each of the cases, the central city has its stature elevated above its weight when compared by UA, MSA and CSA. A similar story is true for oversized municipal limits that are not consolidated. For example, OKC, Memphis and Kansas City all are physically larger than NYC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2017, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
18,927 posts, read 6,850,118 times
Reputation: 5850
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Consolidated City-County Governments, do they tell the True story about the City?? As we know there are several City-County Governments across the US, some that have been Consolidated for years and other's that were recently formed due to it's Inner City Population falling or just to gain a sense of Unity between City-County Governments. My question is do Consolidated Cities really tell the True story of that Cities Population or do you feel it just fabricates the Population giving the Cities massive jumps. Example Cities would be Indianapolis-Marion County, Indiana , Louisville-Jefferson County, Kentucky, Nashville-Davidson County, Tennessee, Macon-Bibb County, Georgia, Jacksonville-Duval County, Florida, Augusta–Richmond County, Georgia. Philly and City and County of San Francisco, California are examples as well. There are tons that are considering Consolidation and even others that have some Consolidated Services but not fully Consolidated as a government like Miami-Dade.
You forgot Denver City and County, Colorado, as well as Broomfield City and County, Colorado. And then you have St Louis and Baltimore which are separate from their namesake counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2017, 05:34 PM
 
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
992 posts, read 577,215 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyDevil679 View Post
What do you mean by serperate suburban municipalities not making sense?
It is inefficient to have lots of small municipalities. For instance, I'd love for the City of Los Angeles to annex the 60-ish other municipalities of the LA Basin, form a consolidated city-county, and send the communities of Santa Clarita, the Antelope Valley, and the Pomona Valley to Ventura, Kern, and San Bernardino counties respectively. It would make region wide cooperation much better, and get rid of unnecessary bureaucracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2017, 06:39 PM
 
Location: Downtown & Brooklyn!
2,112 posts, read 1,304,477 times
Reputation: 1825
I think it works for Philly and SF since they are small counties. I don't feel like either of those city limits are larger than they should be. Especially SF.
I'm not sure about the other cities though since I'm not familiar at all with any of them, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of those other ones felt differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2017, 07:37 PM
 
5,682 posts, read 8,752,084 times
Reputation: 4911
It's not suitable to use for comparison purposes. To get a true comparison you'd need to look at the stats for the whole county of an unconsolidated city.

Of course there are some cities that comprise multiple counties, Atlanta being one that comes to mind. But it is kind of in a league of its own. Until some statistics wonk who doesn't own a map comes along and tries to compare it to Jacksonville...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2017, 08:43 PM
 
Location: ATLANTA
2,129 posts, read 1,426,806 times
Reputation: 1609
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
It's not suitable to use for comparison purposes. To get a true comparison you'd need to look at the stats for the whole county of an unconsolidated city.

Of course there are some cities that comprise multiple counties, Atlanta being one that comes to mind. But it is kind of in a league of its own. Until some statistics wonk who doesn't own a map comes along and tries to compare it to Jacksonville...
In reference to cities crossing multiple counties, in those unique cases and it's funny you said that but If that happens the city has to deannex from that other county. That was the situation in Macon,Ga. case. The city was in 2 counties as well, both Bibb and Jones Counties but un Annexed Jones county after Consolidating with Bibb County. The city also obsorbed Payne City, a municipality that was right in the middle of the city..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top