U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 08:31 AM

429 posts, read 296,902 times

Advertisements

Missouri is hard state for me to classify. It is just such a large state, geographically. Some days, I think it is Southern and other days I think it is Midwestern. For what it's worth, one of my colleagues is from Missouri and he considers himself Southern...but he also thinks he has a southern accent when he doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 11:44 AM

2,082 posts, read 2,904,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
Missouri is hard state for me to classify. It is just such a large state, geographically. Some days, I think it is Southern and other days I think it is Midwestern. For what it's worth, one of my colleagues is from Missouri and he considers himself Southern...but he also thinks he has a southern accent when he doesn't.
Missouri is a state that has cotton fields 2 hours south of St. Louis, which is a dyed in the wool midwestern city. It isn't meant to be classified as 100% one way or another because like you said the state is so different depending on which part of it you are in. A state is just lines drawn on a map after all. I grew up in SE Missouri & consider myself a southerner, but most of the state isn't like the southeast corner.

Then you have to consider the differences between the Bootheel & the Ozarks. The Bootheel is part of the Mid-South while the southern Ozarks are a mountain south culture. There is a midwestern Ozarks as well closer to Jefferson City.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:16 PM

4,407 posts, read 4,617,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Oklahoma is too far South to be Midwest. Its Great Plains, but not Midwest. The Midwest is a northern region. Also, accent-wise, Oklahoma is like Texas.
I agree. Some people on C-D seem to think there is a Great Plains accent and culture. No, the Northern and Southern Plains are completely different from each other and have more in common with the states directly to the East of them (or West if you are in the Western part of Plains states).

I have a friend who grew up and spent most of his life in North Dakota. He took a job in Wichita Kansas. He didn't expect it to be that much different. Afterall it's the Midwest and even in the Plains. Instead he experienced culture shock. From his perspective it was totally Southern and everyone sounded Southern. When he talked he frequently got the comment ( he would imitate them in a Southern accent) "You ain't from around here are you". So if Kansas is a transition state, Oklahoma is definitely the South. Yet I know many Oklahomans identify more with the Midwest.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:18 PM

4,397 posts, read 3,570,202 times
I don't get why so many people have to classify states that are clearly transitional into clean categories. Nothing is going to change drastically as you cross a state line. A place like Winchester does not remind me of the south one bit. The town itself has housing stock that is much older and denser than what you see across the south. It reminds me more of what I see in Lancaster, PA than back in Georgia. It's just over half an hour from PA. The people I've interacted with there aren't clearly southern (though I wouldn't necessarily say their clearly northern). It's definitely a transition zone. I don't have as much experience with the smaller towns along 81 but as for larger towns, I don't feel like I'm definitely back in the south until I reach Roanoke. The people have seemed more southern and the Zaxby's are there for whatever that's worth.

My one trip along 95, Richmond definitely seemed like I was back in the south or at least the edge. Pine trees returned in large numbers and a town I stopped at off I 85 just north of NC seemed very much like I was in Mississippi.

I think this map does a decent job in spots like Virginia. I don't see REPENT OR DIE signs in Pennsylvania like I do in rural Georgia. Northern Florida is definitely still southern and does seem to die out by the time you get to Orlando.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:29 PM

6,888 posts, read 6,212,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I agree. Some people on C-D seem to think there is a Great Plains accent and culture. No, the Northern and Southern Plains are completely different from each other and have more in common with the states directly to the East of them (or West if you are in the Western part of Plains states).
Being someone who lives in the great plains I am going to partially agree and disagree with this statement. The people and culture of the northern and southern plains are vastly different in many ways but share much of the same culture in terms of the wheat/cattle culture. Similarities with wind and weather and terrain.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:17 PM

9,108 posts, read 4,150,921 times
Those who don't consider Oklahoma a part of the South have never been here. Oklahoma has more in common culturally with Mississippi and South Carolina than it does New Mexico and Colorado (both states that border Oklahoma). It is also one of the only places in the country that is becoming more culturally Southern and not less. Oklahoma attracts transplants from the South but relatively few from other parts of the country. Oklahoma is basically the opposite of Virginia in this respect. Only the western panhandle has anything in common with the Southwest. Virtually nowhere in the state is really Midwestern, other than some Midwestern influences in Tulsa. While it's history may be different, in 2017 Oklahoma is every bit as "Dixie" as Alabama.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:30 PM

7,141 posts, read 9,923,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Missouri is a state that has cotton fields 2 hours south of St. Louis, which is a dyed in the wool midwestern city. It isn't meant to be classified as 100% one way or another because like you said the state is so different depending on which part of it you are in. A state is just lines drawn on a map after all. I grew up in SE Missouri & consider myself a southerner, but most of the state isn't like the southeast corner.

Then you have to consider the differences between the Bootheel & the Ozarks. The Bootheel is part of the Mid-South while the southern Ozarks are a mountain south culture. There is a midwestern Ozarks as well closer to Jefferson City.
From my limited perspective, rural Missouri seems to have some attributes of Southern states but is really too far north to be considered part of the South. For instance, someone posted a map which showed majority religious groups in the United States and Missouri looked like a Southern colony sticking into the Midwest.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:46 PM

2,082 posts, read 2,904,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
From my limited perspective, rural Missouri seems to have some attributes of Southern states but is really too far north to be considered part of the South. For instance, someone posted a map which showed majority religious groups in the United States and Missouri looked like a Southern colony sticking into the Midwest.
Where I grew up is at the same latitude as Richmond, VA. I get your point though. The Bootheel reaches farther south than Nashville and I think the northern border of Missouri is above Pittsburgh.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:32 PM

13,226 posts, read 17,984,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post

I'd say Missouri is three-quarters Midwestern and one-quarter Southern. An approximate boundary is a line from Joplin to Rolla to Cape Girardeau. North of there is fried ravioli and burnt ends. South of there is throwed rolls.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:12 PM

746 posts, read 723,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Those who don't consider Oklahoma a part of the South have never been here. Oklahoma has more in common culturally with Mississippi and South Carolina than it does New Mexico and Colorado (both states that border Oklahoma). It is also one of the only places in the country that is becoming more culturally Southern and not less. Oklahoma attracts transplants from the South but relatively few from other parts of the country. Oklahoma is basically the opposite of Virginia in this respect. Only the western panhandle has anything in common with the Southwest. Virtually nowhere in the state is really Midwestern, other than some Midwestern influences in Tulsa. While it's history may be different, in 2017 Oklahoma is every bit as "Dixie" as Alabama.
Interesting, source?

I don't really consider Oklahoma to be part of the South, maybe just the eastern/southeastern part of the state but even then, it's not completely Southern. Having grown up in southeastern Oklahoma, "Little Dixie", and now living in OKC, it feels quite different; even the people here in OKC sound different in their accent compared to SE Oklahoma.

I'd say Oklahoma is probably the most difficult state to classify because it's a mix and hybrid of classifications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or