U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 05:38 AM

23,067 posts, read 35,020,344 times

Advertisements

Winter Park, FL was founded by New Englanders.

https://cityofwinterpark.org/governm...-info/history/

Many of the towns along Pamlico Sound in North Carolina are reminiscent of Maine.

Oriental, NC:

https://gilwellbear.files.wordpress....5-38-22_27.jpg

Washington, NC:

https://www.pamlico.com/images/uploa...ngton_hero.jpg

Beaufort, NC:

https://www.coastalguide.com/images/...t-hero.jpg?t=c

Wilmington, NC:

http://www.southeasterntraveler.com/...ina-jb0831.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 10:10 AM

56,587 posts, read 80,870,855 times
I dare say that a place like Harpers Ferry or Shepherdstown in WV may work as well.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:52 PM

1 posts, read 534 times
Seasmart: I'm in your boat! I love Maine, but getting older and my arthritis is awful!! I'm a flatlander myself, and this winter (the one that keeps on going)... has been especially hard on these old joints! I have a friend that will be going to North Carolina (no set location as of yet) soon so I'm going to see how she likes it there... she'll be snow-birding. Back in 1987 I thought I was sick of the cold so we packed up the family and moved close to Clearwater... 5 minutes to the beach and it was wonderful. Until I spent my first SUMMER there; I was begging the sun to GO AWAY! The humidity was unbearable, and the afternoon thunderstorms had me hiding under my diningroom table - scardy cat I was! The humidity was terrible; the pool was hot, the beach was hot - we only got relief at the mall (very costly when you spend so much time there)! Finally came back up north to Mass in '92, then to Maine in '99. I MISSED the seasons so much. Really, by the time you get sick of the weather, it changes. Anyway, I JUST found this website tonight & it's great! GOOD LUCK to you!! (hope this long reply is ok... I'm new to all this!

Old 03-31-2017, 07:31 PM
BMI

7,261 posts, read 4,496,801 times
Las Cruces, NM

You'll thank me, it has the best climate in the USA.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:52 PM

12,842 posts, read 4,643,803 times
Johnson City, Tennesse or Prescott, Arizona could work.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:02 PM

119 posts, read 182,184 times
I lived in New England most of my life but now live in the southern Utah. Many people come to this area and the southwest because they hear it is recommended for arthritis. While the climate might be great please consider before you move access to medical care. Our only rheumatologist just up and left making the closest one a 650 mile round trip.
Rheumatology, neurology and endocrinology are all either non exsistent or in short supply unless you are in Phoenix in the much southwest. As someone who lived in New England, I never thought about having to travel 8-10 hours to a doctor but it is a reality.

As much as I have loved the weather for my health, we are moving back to New England.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:45 AM

100 posts, read 70,800 times
Take a peek at some of the smaller cities/larger towns in eastern/central Iowa. A good number of them are college towns, and many are built around New England-ish town square concepts. Within city limits, they tend to be fairly tree lined and self-sufficient, so long as you don't crave a lot of big box shopping.

They'll be as safe or safer than anything you'll find in the Mid Atlantic, and considerably cheaper to rent or to own, on the whole.

You'll get four seasons, though typically none too extreme.

Recommend taking a peek at least at some downtown and architectural pics around Mt. Vernon, Fairfield, Indianola, and Grinnell.

Just as a for example, Grinnell rents tend to be in the $650-800 range for 3 bedrooms, and 1 BR's can dip down toward $400. Plenty of nice housing stock around or below $100k.

It's a really great area for retirees who don't have to go through the hassle of plugging into a small town/college workforce. You get so much for your money that you can afford to set up your home like your own personal palace amidst the peace and tranquility of small town midwest.

Only negatives that creep in come if you're craving excitement or diversity. But if that ain't you, it's def worth a look. (For a little more diversity, Fairfield offers an interesting curveball with the Maharishi U. bringing in a small but noticeable new-agey vibe. It's kind of a hybrid New England village and Yoga retreat, crammed into a small Iowish town.)

Add in Decorah if you're up for someplace a little more spendy (but still considerably cheaper than the NE), or Pella as a sort of dream town if and only if you happen to be Dutch.

Last edited by Lo-Fi; 04-16-2017 at 07:54 AM..

Old 04-16-2017, 10:35 AM

412 posts, read 306,161 times
How about Charleston, SC or Savannah, GA? No use moving to PA for your arthritis, then you may as well stay in Maine.

Otherwise look west, maybe Colorado Springs?

Old 04-16-2017, 10:51 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,678,429 times
Asheville, NC and that general area has what you are looking for.

Old 04-16-2017, 11:24 AM

594 posts, read 486,615 times
You better listen to your friends and acquaintances if you know what's best....
See ya in Arizona !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or