U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 08:38 AM

4,875 posts, read 3,000,080 times

Advertisements

I'm willing to bet Ann Arbor is very intellectual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 09:20 AM

5,462 posts, read 2,849,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurana View Post
Generally, when you talk about intellectual cities, it's some order or other of Seattle, Boston, DC, NYC, Minneapolis, Austin, Portland and SF. But those cities, particularly Seattle, Boston, SF, DC and NYC get stereotyped as being full of workaholic affluent types who are considered intellectuals solely because they've been able to weasel their way into a professional job, like an economist, engineer, or a think tank worker.

Are there better cities than those I've listed where the "intellectuals" are just people who are knowledgeable about science, history, art, philosophy, politics, etc., who love to read and have a very high verbal IQ, as opposed to people who have high-powered jobs? Or are the cities I've listed still the best place to find the former type of people.
Weaseling does not substitute for smarts plus education plus willingness to work well. Some people are born into money or have connections that help them find jobs, but most earn their way to affluence. Just because someone gets a job doesn't mean he will keep it if the competition is better.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:55 AM

1,987 posts, read 1,242,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Savannah
Charleston, SC
Columbus, Ohio
New Orleans
Austin, Texas
Chapel Hill, NC
Raleigh, NC
I'm not as familiar with Charleston or Savannah, but among the cities below them, I'd say Columbus and Raleigh-Chapel Hill would fit the bill the most for the OP. They're solidly middle class and moderate places that don't push you over the edge, although can be fun. Columbus especially is a midwestern, practical, "come as you are" type place. Both are not touristy and seem to lack the "Peter Pan" effect. Eliminating some of those distractions allows for more of a free flow of new ideas, IMO.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:24 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,406,762 times
Columbus has one of the most used libraries in the country, the presence of Ohio State and multiple smaller colleges, and a large population of young professionals that work for organizations like Nationwide, J.P. Morgan Chase, Batelle, Abercrombie, Honda etc.

There's very little pretentiousness here (perhaps with the exception of some old money suburbs). The city overall definitely has retained a laidback Midwest vibe.

I wouldn't describe Columbus overall as "lower-middle class". A lot of the central city is comprised of students, professionals and upper-middle to upper-class. The vast majority of the suburbs range from solid middle-class to wealthy. Unfortunately like most cities ours is pretty segregated based on race and income. The east side is where the bulk of the black (African-American and African immigrant) population lives and many neighborhoods there suffer from poverty and violent crime. The west side of the city is mostly lower-income white people and a growing Mexican population and also is a hotbed for crime.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:08 AM

21,209 posts, read 30,427,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
I'm not as familiar with Charleston or Savannah, but among the cities below them, I'd say Columbus and Raleigh-Chapel Hill would fit the bill the most for the OP. They're solidly middle class and moderate places that don't push you over the edge, although can be fun. Columbus especially is a midwestern, practical, "come as you are" type place. Both are not touristy and seem to lack the "Peter Pan" effect. Eliminating some of those distractions allows for more of a free flow of new ideas, IMO.
I agree though would replace Raleigh with Durham which is much more intellectual overall, yet far less pretentious.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:13 PM

3,486 posts, read 4,381,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I would imagine places like New Orleans, Savannah, Chicago, Richmond, Louisville, Asheville, and Philadelphia. They seem like places that aren't stuck up and attract alternative/critical thinkers.
I can't comment on the broader question the OP asked, but I will echo the mention of Philadelphia, which has a lot of intellectual and artistically oriented people who haven't forgotten where they came from (in terms of class), whether they have high-powered careers or not. I don't know that I'd call it an intellectual city overall, but you can certainly find approachable intellectuals there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or