U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 04:47 PM

30 posts, read 36,690 times

Advertisements

Generally, when you talk about intellectual cities, it's some order or other of Seattle, Boston, DC, NYC, Minneapolis, Austin, Portland and SF. But those cities, particularly Seattle, Boston, SF, DC and NYC get stereotyped as being full of workaholic affluent types who are considered intellectuals solely because they've been able to weasel their way into a professional job, like an economist, engineer, or a think tank worker.

Are there better cities than those I've listed where the "intellectuals" are just people who are knowledgeable about science, history, art, philosophy, politics, etc., who love to read and have a very high verbal IQ, as opposed to people who have high-powered jobs? Or are the cities I've listed still the best place to find the former type of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 05:07 PM

18,627 posts, read 27,042,193 times
Could Atlanta work? Underrated city for education.

Old 03-25-2017, 05:30 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,745,723 times
I would imagine places like New Orleans, Savannah, Chicago, Richmond, Louisville, Asheville, and Philadelphia. They seem like places that aren't stuck up and attract alternative/critical thinkers.

Old 03-25-2017, 06:25 PM

6,053 posts, read 3,377,056 times
Minneapolis is a very middle class city as well as very pro-intellectual. Really, any college town in the Midwest is good for this or towns in inland New England or upstate New York.

Old 03-25-2017, 07:02 PM

13,566 posts, read 22,018,249 times
Montreal.

Old 03-25-2017, 07:07 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,234,516 times
I was thinking Columbus, OH

Old 03-25-2017, 07:44 PM

56,511 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Pittsburgh and Nashville with their multiple colleges come to mind.

Old 03-25-2017, 07:56 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,123,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurana View Post
Generally, when you talk about intellectual cities, it's some order or other of Seattle, Boston, DC, NYC, Minneapolis, Austin, Portland and SF. But those cities, particularly Seattle, Boston, SF, DC and NYC get stereotyped as being full of workaholic affluent types who are considered intellectuals solely because they've been able to weasel their way into a professional job, like an economist, engineer, or a think tank worker.

Are there better cities than those I've listed where the "intellectuals" are just people who are knowledgeable about science, history, art, philosophy, politics, etc., who love to read and have a very high verbal IQ, as opposed to people who have high-powered jobs? Or are the cities I've listed still the best place to find the former type of people.
Minneapolis. Very unpretentious and highly educated. Work/life balance us prized.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:38 AM

21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times
I would say most college towns are a good example of where to look for laidback intellectual types versus the "smug I'm more superior" types. As mentioned Chicago would be a good option as well as Columbus in terms of larger cities, and places like Durham/Chapel Hill or Madison for medium sized cities.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:34 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,052,118 times
Look for cities in regions with good public schools, especially good rural schools. Those kids often move to the nearest cities when they grow up. Places that fit that description are New England, upstate New York, the Upper Midwest and the Great Plains. Rochester, NY is one place that comes to mind, Winona, MN and LaCrosse, WI do as well. Minneapolis (and especially St Paul) works too, you are stereotyping it wrong, which is common. Minneapolis has a lot of white collar jobs in the suburbs but the cities proper are largely blue collar. The Twin Cities have high blue collar wages, mostly because they have good k-12 education and chronic labor shortages. One of the things that first attracted me to the Twin Cities is that it seemed to have one of the best educated and intellectually engaged working classes in the country.

Last edited by Drewcifer; 03-26-2017 at 08:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or