U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 06:08 PM

3,655 posts, read 4,600,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Nashville ranks highly for entertainment (of course) and career opportunities. Young people are flocking there in droves. Will you feel safe there? that's up to you, isn't it? None of us control your feelings.

One would think after Detroit Nashville would feel like an oasis of tranquility, but if you are suffering from PTSD then you might see people who scare you.
Nashville is a 8 hour drive from Detroit. Nashville has a pretty high crime rate as well. Nowhere even close to an oasis. And unless I missed it somewhere in the thread, the OP never specified what part of Metro Detroit he/she is from... most of Metro Detroit is safer than average and there are quite a few communities in Metro Detroit that make Nashville's crime rate look terrible in comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 08:01 PM

5,691 posts, read 8,756,281 times
Quote:
most of Metro Detroit is safer than average
I don't doubt that and I hope the OP is from one of those communities and doesn't have PTSD. You'll find safe places in Nashville but a side effect of popularity and high rents is homeless people.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:05 PM

870 posts, read 751,814 times
East Lansing might have just as many fun college amenities as anywhere else, but there isn't that much going on there in terms of arts and culture. Michigan State is an ag school and Lansing is a blue-collar town. It isn't especially comprable to Ann Arbor, as Big Ten college towns go East Lansing is a kindred spirit to West Lafayette... think few adults going out to nice restaurants or foreign films and more town versus gown divides where chain restaurants butt up against dive college bars

Old 04-01-2017, 09:45 PM

56,588 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
East Lansing might have just as many fun college amenities as anywhere else, but there isn't that much going on there in terms of arts and culture. Michigan State is an ag school and Lansing is a blue-collar town. It isn't especially comprable to Ann Arbor, as Big Ten college towns go East Lansing is a kindred spirit to West Lafayette... think few adults going out to nice restaurants or foreign films and more town versus gown divides where chain restaurants butt up against dive college bars
It is a balance, as Lansing is also a capital city. So, that crowd is more likely to want certain amenities.

It is a bigger area that Lafayette/West Lafayette as well as Champaign/Urbana, Bloomington or Iowa City.

Michigan State is an ag school, but as mentioned earlier, it has its own symphony orchestra and the Broad Art Museum. Lansing has its own symphony orchestra. You can find more here: Home | Arts Council of Greater Lansing

You have your art walk, film festival, music festivals, etc. For instance, this is an interesting lineup for this music festival: Common Ground Music Festival - Lansing, Michigan

These publications may offer some insight as well: Lansing City Pulse

The State News | Michigan State University's Independent Voice

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-01-2017 at 09:54 PM..

Old 04-02-2017, 03:51 PM

3,655 posts, read 4,600,098 times
Quote:
Well I'm from the eastside of Detroit and I don't have PTSD. There are very very very few people even in the worst parts of Detroit that have PTSD. Now street smarts? yes, alot of us have that. Toughness? yes, attitude? possibly. Actually I'm willing to bet most people in Metro Detroit with PTSD are the middle eastern immigrants who come from a MUCH rougher environment. I talked to plenty of them who seem completely normal until they tell me they have seen child suicide bombers, kidnapping in broad daylight, multiple executions in the street, bombs going off in their own apartment, ect with their own eyes.

Old 04-02-2017, 06:21 PM

3,026 posts, read 2,462,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwellerofCities View Post
Thanks again for the suggestion! I think you made some really solid points about the young presence of Lansing/East Lansing that I hadn't considered before, but I would otherwise have a number of concerns about living there. Is the area really noteworthy in terms of "entertainment and career opportunities"? I acknowledge there's a solid bar scene there, and the state government employs a lot of people, but I would not have otherwise much considered Lansing/EL in terms of entertainment and career opportunities. It's also on the smaller end for a "mid-sized city" (under 200K people if you include Lansing and EL), and it's not piggybacking off a much larger metro area like with the Ann Arbor example -- I'm just a bit concerned in terms of overall opportunities in the area (the ideal would be "lots of diverse opportunities in general"). To further bring ideals into the picture, I also never really much got the vibe of "strong presence of arts and arts community/culture, intellectualism, eclecticism/diversity" when visiting Lansing/EL -- but I'm willing to concede that maybe I haven't done enough investigation there? Quite willing to concede that on any one of these concerns, actually -- let me know what I'm missing! FWIW, I can see even with those concerns how it would be a viable option, and it's definitely a valuable suggestion that I've now considered. Thanks again. :-)
Ann Arbor is pretty exceptional in the U.S. when it comes to your "strong presence of arts and arts community/culture, intellectualism, eclecticism/diversity" criteria in proportion to its population. I think it's one of the most educated, if not the most educated, metro area in the country. Overall, I would say that the Lansing/East Lansing area overall is stronger than most in your culture criteria in proportion to its population. If you're looking in terms of raw numbers, you might be able to find more "culture criteria" in larger cities simply because there are more people, even though Lansing/East Lansing is more densely "cultured" for its size. It's not Ann Arbor, but you'll be able to find your culture in the Lansing/East Lansing area. The advantage is that sometimes because Ann Arbor is so cultured and intellectual, it can come across as a bit stuffy for those more laid back, common culture types, which isn't really an issue.

I would agree though that you're probably going to have similar issues with your job search in the Lansing/East Lansing area as in Ann Arbor though.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:35 PM

870 posts, read 751,814 times
I don't deny that EL/Lansing have those amenities but at the same time, it's lacking compared to Ann Arbor. East Lansing has a film festival, but there are no theaters within the city to actually host it let alone something like the State and Michigan theaters in A2. That's just one example, there is a reason that you see a ton of Michigan State Alumni license plates in Ann Arbor and almost no Michigan alumni license plates in East Lansing, one is just more desirable than the other.

I would think Grand Rapids is far preferable to someone interested in things like street festivals or coffee shop culture than Lansing is, especially because Lansing has a town versus gown vibe going on with EL being separated from the rest of the city.

Old 04-02-2017, 10:01 PM

56,588 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Quote:
I don't deny that EL/Lansing have those amenities but at the same time, it's lacking compared to Ann Arbor. East Lansing has a film festival, but there are no theaters within the city to actually host it let alone something like the State and Michigan theaters in A2. That's just one example, there is a reason that you see a ton of Michigan State Alumni license plates in Ann Arbor and almost no Michigan alumni license plates in East Lansing, one is just more desirable than the other.

I would think Grand Rapids is far preferable to someone interested in things like street festivals or coffee shop culture than Lansing is, especially because Lansing has a town versus gown vibe going on with EL being separated from the rest of the city.
That could be due to East Lansing being its own city and having its own scene. That is why there are 2 film festivals between the 2 cities: https://capitalcityfilmfest.com

East Lansing Film Festival

There are coffee shops in both as well.
Strange Matter Coffee Co. | a multi-roaster pour-over and espresso bar

Bloom Coffee Roasters

https://blueowlcoffee.net

Red Cedar Cafe | East Lansing Coffee Shop | East Lansing Pastries

Espresso Royale - Home

Home | Paramount Coffee

Other spots: https://m.yelp.com/biz/momo-tea-east-lansing

Soup Spoon Cafe | Lansing, MI

Music Venue - Avenue Cafe - Lansing, Mi

Old 04-02-2017, 10:24 PM

5,542 posts, read 3,690,388 times
A few beat me to it, but from an airline standpoint, Delta is the major airline at DTW. The hub routes, which tend to be the least expensive would be Atlanta, Minneapolis, NYC, Salt Lake. Delta still has flights from Cincy, but it is no longer a Delta hub. Southwest may be able to compete.

From a driving standpoint, well just a look at a map and you can figure that out. Grand Rapids, Toledo, even Indy or Chicago are all within a few hours+.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 04-02-2017 at 10:34 PM..

Old 04-03-2017, 12:16 PM

35 posts, read 22,970 times
Does anyone have additional info or opinions on Indianapolis, Fort Wayne, or Cleveland? I'm curious how these fit some of the ideals discussed in the OP and earlier in the thread. I know Indianapolis was mentioned a few times (but without much discussion), and the others have mostly gone unmentioned. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or