U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 05:53 AM

56,187 posts, read 54,646,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
The whole no billboards thing, which might not even be true.
And the movie 'Funny farm' comes to mind, which might not have even been set in Vermont, I can't remember.
It is true. Someone else on here said everything in Vermont is found in adjacent New York, and it is. Geographically, they look very similar. But NYS up in that same area has billboards and signs everywhere, and their absence is noticeable once you cross the state line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 10:17 PM

325 posts, read 208,104 times
Quietness, mountains, trees, Sanders, Lake Champlain, Burlington (not referring to Coat Factory), farms, cheese, little or no jobs available

Old 04-15-2017, 11:27 PM

7,826 posts, read 12,340,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Curious...
I find it to be an extreme anomaly, being so extremely liberal despite being completely rural with no major cities at all. The only other exception I know of might be parts of the California wine country. I've lived in Louisiana, Maryland, and West Virginia. Louisiana is only liberal in the inner cities, with conservative suburban and rural areas. Maryland is liberal in the Baltimore inner city and the DC suburbs and conservative elsewhere. West Virginia is mostly rural with some small cities, and the entire state is conservative with Obama and Hillary both losing every single county in the past few elections.

I find it very strange that someone like Bernie Sanders would come out of a completely rural state like Vermont. I would be less surprised if he ran from New York, Massachusetts, New Jersey, California or even Illinois. New Hampshire and upstate New York next door are both conservative places.

Also I think of the fall colors of Vermont. I wonder if that reputation is worth it. The Blue Ridge mountains and the WV portion of the Appalachians have lovely fall colors, I wonder if Vermont's really are THAT much more impressive.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:42 AM

21,342 posts, read 21,917,974 times
it's the maples that give Vermont the deserved reputation for excellent fall colors and no other state comes close as far as maple syrup production

Old 04-17-2017, 08:56 AM

5,093 posts, read 6,865,677 times
I think of Woodstock VT, maple syrup, Burlington, Sugar and Spice Pancakes in Rutland, Ben & Jerry's, and very friendly people.

Old 04-17-2017, 12:42 PM

56,187 posts, read 54,646,759 times
Another thing about Vermont is the QUIET. I go up to an old inn that has been turned into a writer's retreat. When I was there in October, the leaves were beginning to turn, but there was still some green. It was gorgeous and still warm enough that I could go out and sit on the hill and just contemplate those colorful mountains with the mist coming over the top and absolutely no buildings on them.

Then I noticed the silence. I could not hear a car, a plane, or any other man-made sound. I read a few years ago that there are a limited number of places left in the United states where one can sit for 20 minutes without hearing a man-made sound. This must be one of them. I could hear birds and crickets, a rooster, and the occasional moo from the herd of grass-fed beef that wanders around the properties in the area. That's not easy to find in many places. It's impossible to find silence like that where I live.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:34 PM

2,797 posts, read 1,649,695 times
Cold, syrup and old hippies.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:51 PM

19,880 posts, read 18,888,113 times
Endless green mountains.

Also,
fall foliage
old farms
twisty dirt roads that go nowhere
barns
rednecks
poverty
great state parks
no jobs
good swimming holes
kind people with old fashioned common sense
cows
old fashioned country stores
woodstoves
Yuppies who come from NYC and want to change everything

Old 04-19-2017, 09:20 AM

448 posts, read 391,573 times
Low crime, small population, no cities, cold, covered bridges, a scene for rural christmas paintings.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:21 PM

35 posts, read 16,752 times
Two things for me. Maple syrup and Vermont cheese. Some of the best cheese in the country!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.