U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 06:40 PM

1,382 posts, read 633,983 times

Advertisements

I guess some of you may have a misunderstanding of CA's education school day rules. California does require schools to schedule 180 teaching days a year and normally to keep its schedule but the act I mentioned is for force majeure events which make sense. As usually under contract law force majeure events are excusable breaches of contract. i.e Airlines arn't required to compensate delays due to rough weather though they can voluntarily do so.
Interestingly Colleges and Universities in those same states which are also public education institutions usually arn't mandated to make up days lost due to the same reasons, unless they do so voluntarily, though usually arrangements in making up coursework is between the student and the professor. Remember in College/University the student paid for that amount of classroom time shouldn't they be entitled to the class days they paid for. I don't know why they don't apply the same concept to k-12 in many states especially if school is closed because a higher power ordered them closed or by declaring a travel curfew.

CA Districts in places like Lake Tahoe where schools experience a number of cancellations due to snowfall in an average year are expected to build in that average number into the calendar. Usually two days. Though if they have a exceptionally tough winter in which days exceeds that the superintendent can choose to schedule a makeup in the school year or apply for the emergency exemption which are pretty much certainly granted. CA respects its superintendents decisions to close schools for safety and do not penalize them for doing so.

The idea of making up coursework online these days should really put snow make up a thing of the past anyways.

Based on what I heard from friends in MA and similar to what North Beach Person wrote It appears makeup days are more about fulfilling a contractual obligation than educational makeup. What education does it make up if most kids are not studying but playing games or watching movies. This is particularly true if it occurs on a legal holiday Presidents Day or Memorial Day, Spring break day, or end of June after finals and grades and even graduations are done but the day lost was in first semester.

If they really are serious about making up education lost due to school cancellations they should have better contingency plans for actually making up lost education ie via the Internet cyber school days as mentioned by flyonpa and OptimusPrime69, extending the school day and every period within it within the same quarter or semester to allow time for teachers to makeup the coursework and time, using Saturdays but only Saturdays before semester exams where most kids would using the time cramming for exams anyways whether there is school or not.

I am ok with using in service days as makeup days but taking away legal holidays and Spring break just go too far. Wiscokay's example seems better as they would delay the semester and its exams by the same number of days lost so students don't loose time with coursework or tests nor have to deal with school on Springbreak. I am sure for parents as well as students who strive to good grades all they want is to be able to gain back the learning they were disrupted from the unexpected event quickly, making it up at a school holiday or summer vacation in another quarter is not in their best interests, as the only reason to attend them is to maintain a perfect attendance record. That honor child would had gained more learning on a vacation or summer camp than being in a half empty classroom watching movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 08:59 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,124,669 times
Pre-internet rural Minnesota here...

We had 190 days scheduled each year. State mandated 180. So we had 10 snow days baked in.

I remember 2 years we had to go longer that the preset end of year cause we used more than 10 days. But half of the students in my school lived on rural gravel roads and those were hard to plow and clear after big storms. Now living in the burbs of twin Cities school rarely closes cause all the kids live very close and it's all city/state roads that get cleared very quickly.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:39 PM

1,382 posts, read 633,983 times
Good explaination Mr. Roboto about Minnesota and pre scheduled days. Though I would like to ask whether the pre scheduled "snow days" actually helped you and other students and teachers make up the disruption in teaching and learning due to the school cancellation. I.e if the snowdays occurred before the end of semester how will the coursework be made up?
Since there wasn't "Internet" available and one would need to be in school or mis coursework. School coursework are usually quarter or semester specific so what happens when there is unexpectedly a week long delay but the "snow days" are in another quarter? Do they extend the quarter to allow coursework to be made up and completed? Then make up the days of the other quarter with the built in "snow days."

I do notice this scheduling more than 180 phenomenon in other states as I have relatives living there some of them teachers themselves. This is unheard of in CA. Most districts schedule exactly 180 no more no less and no make up buffer with the exception of those in Lake Tahoe or other high elevations. Make up days are most unheard of for 98% of schools around the state no matter what happens. Though I know that these so called "education reforms" since the 1990s has been aimed toward increasing time in the classroom nationwide and have a much lower tolerance for interruptions of any kind. Though not all learning take place in the classroom. I surely miss the days when all schools around the states/country started after labor Day and ended at the week of June 16 sharp for pretty much all non year round schools.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 04-04-2017 at 04:52 PM..

Old 04-06-2017, 12:39 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,383,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Growing up in Miami we had "hurricane days" when schools would be closed the day before an impending hurricane and depending on the damage from the storm...several days after as well. We usually didn't end up physically making up the days by taking away from other holidays or our Summer break, but we would have to do some type of extra online work..... usually easy stuff like reading a few chapters of a book, etc... And the truth is.... I never actually did any of the online stuff for make-up. It was just busy work IMO.

Hmm that's interesting. I never had anything like that in Miami. I don't think I had any online class work until I got to college. Only work we did on computer was in an actual computer or programming class. The thing about hurricane days is they would only be 2-3 days a year WHEN there was a hurricane at all, so it wasn't something that held people back. Worst hurricanes I went through were Wilma and Katrina but I can't remember how many school days we missed. Katrina happened very very early in the school year so it didn't matter so much and Wilma was 2 months in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or