U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 01:01 AM

565 posts, read 564,645 times

Advertisements

Look at Tacoma. It has a diverse population, I actually work with a few people who are refugees, a very accepting and progressive culture. University of Washington-Tacoma (UWT) is a great school and Tacoma is more affordable than nearby cities of Seattle and Bellevue. Other schools in Tacoma are UPS, PLU, TCC, Bates, Clover Park, and soon The Northwest College of Art and Design. Most neighborhoods in Tacoma are safe, the South end and Eastside are underfunded and used to have a lot of crime, but they are doing better.
You can live in Tacoma without a car, I have done it my entire life. The closer you are to transit hubs (downtown, mall) the better the transit will be. Tacoma offers a lot of amenities (Big name concerts, world class museums, local art/ music scene thriving, clubs/ bars, hiking, beaches, diversity), and is also very close to Seattle which offers even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 01:30 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,403,806 times
Move to metro Detroit. It's affordable, plenty of entertainment options and there's a huge Arab/Arab-American population. Don't listen to other posters who are suggesting rural Tennessee. That's not a place I would be comfortable living in as an immigrant from the middle-east.

Old 04-11-2017, 04:09 AM

4,403 posts, read 4,610,677 times
How about Phoenix? It has the 4th largest Iraqi population in in the U.S. It is booming, currently the fastest growing metro in the country. Plus it is affordable for a big city.

Old 04-11-2017, 02:49 PM

5 posts, read 2,509 times
Thanks!
Phoenix seems to be a little dangerous for me as I'm not familiar with very big urban cities but I'll definitely check it out.
Idk much about Detroit except its gangs and car manufacturers!
What do you think about Austin? It seems to be good. Idk
I'm looking for simple jobs like cleaning or fast food. Do you know how difficult it is to get a job?

Old 04-11-2017, 03:42 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,403,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexgiwyl View Post
Thanks!
Phoenix seems to be a little dangerous for me as I'm not familiar with very big urban cities but I'll definitely check it out.
Idk much about Detroit except its gangs and car manufacturers!
What do you think about Austin? It seems to be good. Idk
I'm looking for simple jobs like cleaning or fast food. Do you know how difficult it is to get a job?
A lot of Phoenix is suburban in nature and nothing to be scared about. Most American cities are fairly safe as long as you don't buy drugs, associate with gang members or live in blatantly high crime/low-income neighborhoods.

Although a significant portion of the city of Detroit is in rough shape it's experiencing a renaissance of sorts in it's core and neighborhoods like downtown, midtown or corktown are perfectly nice. Metro Detroit has some of the nicest suburbs in the country and one of the largest concentrations of Arabs.

Austin strikes me as a city where cost of living is increasing rapidly. If you're looking for affordability I wouldn't suggest that because of the high demand to live there but a lot of people have a positive impression of Austin.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:04 PM

7,598 posts, read 9,455,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
A lot of Phoenix is suburban in nature and nothing to be scared about. Most American cities are fairly safe as long as you don't buy drugs, associate with gang members or live in blatantly high crime/low-income neighborhoods.

Although a significant portion of the city of Detroit is in rough shape it's experiencing a renaissance of sorts in it's core and neighborhoods like downtown, midtown or corktown are perfectly nice. Metro Detroit has some of the nicest suburbs in the country and one of the largest concentrations of Arabs.

Austin strikes me as a city where cost of living is increasing rapidly. If you're looking for affordability I wouldn't suggest that because of the high demand to live there but a lot of people have a positive impression of Austin.
Austin, TX, is also very car-dependent, and sprawls widely. The OP might be better off in a city that has decent mass transit..

Old 04-13-2017, 08:09 AM

27 posts, read 21,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soursop View Post
Refugee from where?
does it matter ?

Last edited by tommy82; 04-13-2017 at 08:51 AM..

Old 04-13-2017, 08:17 AM

27 posts, read 21,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Check out Carrboro, North Carolina

It has a population of 21K and is largely a college town given it's location right next to Chapel Hill and the University of North Carolina. Rent is fairly affordable with a good amount in the $600-$650 per month range and plenty of options to share for considerably less. There are plenty of jobs in Carrboro and Chapel Hill that would pay a decent enough wage to live comfortably there and it's pretty safe overall. There's also a free bus service that runs through both towns which is a nice asset for saving money. It's also a very friendly community with people from all over the US (and the world) attending school there so it would be a comfortable experience for you I think.

Over 16 Apartments for Rent in Carrboro, NC
https://raleigh.craigslist.org/searc...private_room=1
Visit Carrboro | Carrboro, NC - Official Website
About UNC - The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Town of Chapel Hill, NC : About Chapel Hill Transit
How about delivery jobs (for students)
in Carrboro or other town in NC is there ok with this ? thanx for advice

Last edited by tommy82; 04-13-2017 at 08:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or