U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you move back to your old college town?
YES! Redo these memories! 22 44.00%
NO! It wont be the same! 26 52.00%
Hmmm. Not sure..... 3 6.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 12:03 PM

6,808 posts, read 3,864,772 times

Advertisements

"First and foremost, many if not most of your college friends probably won't be there anymore."

This may actually be a positive point in some cases!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 12:07 PM

44 posts, read 33,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Moving somewhere to relive old memories is a bad idea, all around. One of the worst decisions I ever made was moving back to my hometown in 2012. At the time I did it, one of the factors was nostalgia for simpler days. However, moving back to a place associated with a previous time in life won't bring back the old days. You have to consider whether its somewhere you would want to live today, regardless of how fondly you remember it from a past season of your life. You can't "Redo those memories." First and foremost, many if not most of your college friends probably won't be there anymore.
Agreed. Its a great thought and I can see why it might be attractive option to some because of the good times, but its just that. A nice thought....

Old 03-31-2017, 12:09 PM

44 posts, read 33,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
"First and foremost, many if not most of your college friends probably won't be there anymore."

This may actually be a positive point in some cases!!
Agree with that too lol! Its nice to see all the answers, pretty split vote too.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:13 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,731,477 times
No I'm spoiled with this Texas weather. I'm not going back to central Maine, unless it's for a summer visit. The state bird, the black fly, will carry you off to their nest if you're not careful, though.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:16 PM

9,006 posts, read 4,115,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxJCtheRipperxX View Post
Agreed. Its a great thought and I can see why it might be attractive option to some because of the good times, but its just that. A nice thought....
Correct, and after the nostalgia wears off, you very quickly remember why you didn't stay there in the first place. After I moved back to my hometown, I was somewhat happy with it for only a few months and have been pretty miserable since.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:51 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,157,019 times
A small town in Virginia. Had a great 4 years, but never really loved the town itself, and without the connection to the university, I really have no reason to be there.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:26 PM

7,583 posts, read 4,003,555 times
i think that most people who moved back to their college town would be doing so because they like the area, not because of an expectation that it would be the same as living there as a student.

Old 03-31-2017, 05:30 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,308,630 times
Many people dream about returning to their college town -- my late father did too, to the tiny college town (really just a village) where he spent four happy years almost 70 years before. A co-worker is planning to retire to her university town in 10 years. My own college town was a beautiful small city, and I've thought about it too. That's the power of nostalgia (from the Greek for "return home"). We feel the pull of what seemed then a safe, comfortable home. But remember that most of us were age 19 or 20 -- with little or no experience of big disappointments, of grief or death -- and so we wish to return to that more carefree youth, when parents were alive, life was divided into neat semesters, we could make friends fairly easily at school (everyone was as single as we were), and join college activities directly. But returning to our old college town in our mature years will be totally different socially and in many other ways. We must think through it all very critically before making the plunge. That said, this is a normal fantasy to have, and it's widespread.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:17 PM

351 posts, read 550,712 times
When I left Columbia I said I absolutely will never live this far north again! Didn't like the winters. But I was actually back there this past weekend and it is a pretty nice town. I could go back there if I had a job.

My other college town, or one of them, Santa Barbara, yeah would move back there if I could afford it. I actually lived in Isla Vista. Wouldn't go there if I had a family, but as a middle aged bachelor? hmmmm, if there is a place in IV that could accommodate the tastes and needs of a middle aged professional (questionable), I might could give it a shot.

Going back to my college town wouldn't be about reliving old memories though. It would be about moving to a place that I find really nice and could feel good about being in, in the now.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:34 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,556,257 times
Lafayette works well after college because it doesnt rely on the university for its identity. There are lots of festivals and art and music wholly divided from the college culture. It merely adds to the gumbo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or