U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you move back to your old college town?
YES! Redo these memories! 22 44.00%
NO! It wont be the same! 26 52.00%
Hmmm. Not sure..... 3 6.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 08:26 AM

3,745 posts, read 2,561,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
I never left my college town
Ha..same!

Started my career and bought a home here. I'll be around for a while!

There are times when staying in your college town in "grown up" life is annoying; and there are times when it's awesome.

The fact that my college town is part of a larger metro area (where most of my friends and family also live) also helps.

If Chapel Hill were isolated somewhere else in the state and not part of the greater Research Triangle area...I don't think I would be as keen on staying as I have been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 10:18 AM

4,345 posts, read 7,420,095 times
I attended a well respected nursing school in Toledo, Ohio and, while I got a great education, would I move back there? Oh, goodness no.

It's not that it's a terrible city, it's more that it is stuck in a rut politically and is suffering for it. The city and its government are firmly entrenched in the pockets of the labor unions and that is not a good thing for any city, it stifles growth and guarantees that the same tired, old faces remain in control of the whole enchilada, even when they don't have a clue.

Nope.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:53 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,381,283 times
Well I'm planning to move out of the college town I live in now, and head up to Minneapolis this summer, and no, I would not move back to Denton or Texas in general. I'd visit, for sure. Now I plan to finish my education in Minneapolis so will that count as my college town as well?

I also went to college in Cisco, Texas and Miami, Florida and would certainly not move back to either.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:55 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,381,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Alamosa, CO? Not only no, heck no!

Not because it wouldn't be the same, but because it hasn't changed a lick in 41 years.
Oh, well at least that means the music's better up there. Unless its nothing but disco. I keep forgetting that 40 years ago it wasn't the 60s anymore.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:16 PM

17,234 posts, read 19,531,226 times
I live just a half hour from my college town and I rarely even go there now.

Old 04-01-2017, 04:14 PM

686 posts, read 399,998 times
To Fairfax, VA? Not unless it was on the very outer fringes of the county.

Old 04-01-2017, 04:52 PM

900 posts, read 794,282 times
I went to UCSD, which makes my college town La Jolla. Sure, it would be cost prohibitive, but that weren't a factor I'd move back in a heartbeat.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:43 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,476,180 times
I could see myself moving back to Austin. In some ways, it is still our "second home" in a way that DFW never was.

The older I get, the less that appeals to me. That has less to do with it being a "college town" and more with it having become and increasingly difficult city to live in day to day.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:51 AM

870 posts, read 751,467 times
I think the hardest part of moving to your college town, or staying there, is watching friends progressively leave. Going back with some distance between college and adult life, though, can be very rewarding.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:30 AM

4,392 posts, read 3,557,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
I think the hardest part of moving to your college town, or staying there, is watching friends progressively leave. Going back with some distance between college and adult life, though, can be very rewarding.
Yes. Even just the semester after graduation I came back but most of my friends had already left. I went back again last fall and nearly everyone I knew had graduated (including grad school). It's definitely different when you go to bars and it's no longer filled with people you know or would bump into on the weekends. It's definitely different.

But, I'd still move back to College Station. It does have a huge college presence but there are also a lot of family friendly areas (for whenever that may happen). Economy is pretty strong. Still some cheap housing options. Close to the major Texas cities where many friends now reside. Next door Bryan isn't stellar but there is a small non-college young crowd there. Plus, any time I'm feeling nostalgic (which is at least once a week), I could just hop on over to campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or