U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you move back to your old college town?
YES! Redo these memories! 22 44.00%
NO! It wont be the same! 26 52.00%
Hmmm. Not sure..... 3 6.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 11:18 PM

4,403 posts, read 4,605,807 times

Advertisements

I went to Wisconsin-Oshkosh. I didn't like that town and I haven't been back there in 31 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 01:22 AM

15,460 posts, read 25,405,649 times
I went to UC San Diego, I'd move back in a heartbeat. My wife, who grew up in SF and used to live there too, would as well.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:23 AM

571 posts, read 567,625 times
My college "town" was Seattle. Love it.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:44 AM

1,161 posts, read 654,080 times
No, I wouldn't ever move back to my college town. Not because I didn't love my college experience, but because I've moved on in life and so have all my friends.

My college town was in a straight up ghetto. There were/still are no jobs, a very high violent crime rate, and the housing stock is complete crap. The only safe parts are the university campus and the immediate surrounding neighborhood. It was great while we were in college because everything was cheap, the neighbors didn't complain when we had loud parties, and Center City Philadelphia was only a 20 minute drive or train ride away. But now that I am several years removed from undergrad and all the craziness of college, I have no reason to go back there. I live only 20 minutes away in the city now, and have only been back twice in the three years since I've graduated. A lot of my close friends live in the city, or close by in the surrounding suburbs, but none actually stayed in our college town.

It was really the people and being that age of thinking anything was possible that made my college experience, not the location it happened in.

Last edited by MB1562; 04-06-2017 at 12:06 PM..

Old 04-06-2017, 01:07 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,043,534 times
I went to college in Minneapolis, which isn't a "college town." I'd probably say no if the city were a true college town.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:25 AM

15,504 posts, read 17,724,856 times
Never left. In fact I still live in the same neighborhood. But it is a demographically diverse neighborhood (not all college students, though they are a strong presence) in a fairly large city.

If it were frat row in a college town of 10,000, not on your life.

Old 04-09-2017, 02:33 PM

14 posts, read 7,928 times
I don't think I would move back to Scranton, PA...but I would move to one of the rural areas surrounding it. The area has a tough job market, though.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:01 PM

76 posts, read 53,502 times
Yes and I did. Fayetteville, AR is a great place to live.

Old 04-21-2017, 03:00 PM

814 posts, read 937,215 times
I finished my undergrad in a small town in Ohio. It's not that it "wouldn't be the same," it's more that it would still be very much the same. Although it actually seems to have gotten a lot better in the past decade - the Downtown area has been impressively revitalized in conjunction with the university and it's pretty heartening to see - it's still...a small town in Ohio. Definitely not, in other words.

I started my undergrad in Boston, and that's a completely different question. It's not a city I'm aching to move to, but I wouldn't be at all opposed if it made sense.

Old 04-22-2017, 04:01 AM

392 posts, read 801,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxJCtheRipperxX View Post
My old college roomie and I were texting the other day about how fun those days were. We went to college at a beach town on the east coast of South Carolina. Cost of living is very low there even though in college we thought $585 for rent was nuts back in 2012 haha. I live in South FL he lives near Boston now and we would drop over for that now......At the same time, we both know it wouldn't be the same, we are both basically married now, all the people we knew 5-8 years ago are gone, and why tarnish a place with such fond memories?

Question at hand, if you left, would you move back to the town you went to college in if you had a job and knew of a place to stay? Why or why not?

For me I say no, just because I know it wont be the same. He says yes he would because he misses the usual spots we would eat at and etc...

FYI, not a serious question, have fun with it and what your first thoughts are.
No, never. I went to school in Champaign-Urbana (UIUC) for six years (BA and MA).

I returned twice for a football game and a wedding, and both times I realized it's a bubble. Furthermore, it is way too small for me to not ignore the fact I'm living in the middle of corn and the town is either a) townie or b) college student. Time to move on. I have since moved back to Chicago, then moved to Tokyo, and have been able to travel rather freely thereon. Champaign-Urbana will be a positive memory, but not somewhere I'd return to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or