U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 06:24 AM

6,839 posts, read 6,181,041 times

Advertisements

Sounds like there needs to be a stricter definition of "four seasons".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 06:25 AM

44,651 posts, read 36,106,549 times
I vote for Virginia as having the most even split of four seasons (one reason why it's my favorite state).

Three months of winter - and yes, you'll get some snow. But not debilitating snows.

Three months of spring, including spring storms and rain and wind. As it should be.

Three months of humid, hot summer - off to the many beaches!

Three months of crisp fall - off to the mountains!

Old 04-05-2017, 10:13 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,136,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Denver. Snow season can be a little long, but winters aren't bitter like they are in the Upper Midwest. Summers are mild with daytime highs in the 80s and 90s. Spring and fall are variable. Could be 70 one day and 40 the next.
I may disagree with you a little. We usually have 2 seasons. Winter/Summer. It was in the 50s and 60s most of the winter, now that spring is here, we are getting our weekley 12 inch snow dumps. It's April 5th and when I left for work it was 18 degrees. That will continue through April and most likely into May. Then by the middle of June it will be in the upper 90s. Snow has been recorded in Colorado Springs in every month but July and August.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:02 PM

397 posts, read 270,040 times
Harrisburg, PA

Old 04-05-2017, 02:21 PM

2,530 posts, read 1,670,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Metro Atlanta has four real seasons! I know many do not realize it since we are in the Deep South, but we also have a high average elevation (second highest major city in the country behind Denver).

We have in Atlanta: Mild winters, but it can get quite cold and we even get a little measureable snow; summers that can get quite hot, but fade into memory after June, July, and August; and best of all the longest and most beautiful springs and falls. In April, Atlanta is a painter's pallet of gorgeous azaleas and dogwood blossoms. In the autumn, Atlanta's urban forest is ablaze with color: oranges, golds, scarlets. The weather is often PERFECT in the spring and fall, too: low to mid 70's. Some people may feel that lovely Atlanta doesn't get enough snow for their tastes, but I think that Atlanta has the PERFECT four season climate!
What about Phoenix, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Tucson, and Reno? They're all as high or higher in elevation than Atlanta.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:59 AM

2,804 posts, read 1,295,354 times
Quote:
Metro Atlanta has four real seasons! I know many do not realize it since we are in the Deep South, but we also have a high average elevation (second highest major city in the country behind Denver).

We have in Atlanta: Mild winters, but it can get quite cold and we even get a little measureable snow; summers that can get quite hot, but fade into memory after June, July, and August; and best of all the longest and most beautiful springs and falls. In April, Atlanta is a painter's pallet of gorgeous azaleas and dogwood blossoms. In the autumn, Atlanta's urban forest is ablaze with color: oranges, golds, scarlets. The weather is often PERFECT in the spring and fall, too: low to mid 70's. Some people may feel that lovely Atlanta doesn't get enough snow for their tastes, but I think that Atlanta has the PERFECT four season climate!
You may love the Atlanta weather, but it isn't real 4 season weather, the winter is too mild and blends too much with the fall and spring to be considered a real season by most people.

At 1005 ft, Atlanta only has high elevation for a city east of the Mississippi. In fact, that is so unimpressive that as a benchmark, Des Moines, Iowa is 955 ft. SLC is 4,327 feet and Boise, were I grew up is a measly 2,704 feet because it is deep in a valley and is one of the lowest points in the state.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:04 AM

Boise, Idaho has great 4 season weather, although due to the high desert, doesn't have as impressive Fall colors as New England or the Midwest.

St Louis and Boston both have pretty well defined 4 seasons.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:08 AM

86,981 posts, read 102,540,351 times
About halfway between I-70 and I-40 is the southern border of 4 seasons until you get to the Pacific states.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:32 AM

142 posts, read 74,319 times
Quote:

You must have a different definition of four seasons. Atlanta may have great weather for all four seasons, but it's far from a balance of all 4 seasons.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscokay View Post
You must have a different definition of four seasons. Atlanta may have great weather for all four seasons, but it's far from a balance of all 4 seasons.
*Three seasons.* Atlanta summer is absolutely miserable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or