U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state will emerge as the next to challenge Florida and Texas?
Alabama 0 0%
Georgia 32 64.00%
Louisiana 2 4.00%
South Carolina 9 18.00%
Tennessee 7 14.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 06:00 PM

4,392 posts, read 3,554,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I'm not sure on the amount but all of the energy companies that used to be in Nola are now in Houston, except for Entergy. So not all of that is self made.
Not to mention I wouldn't call sitting on oil reserves "self made".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 07:42 PM

7,129 posts, read 9,898,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Which Sunbelt state do you see emerging as a competitor to Florida and Texas where rising costs of living are already showing signs of pricing many out of the market in terms of housing costs and other factors?
Of the states listed, I think Georgia is the best choice. But I agree with others who said - where is North Carolina? Or Virginia?

However, I am not sure if Georgia or Tennessee or Alabama will ever match Texas or Florida. They lack the sheer size of Texas or the extremely long coastline of Florida.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:25 AM

2,452 posts, read 1,277,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I'm not sure on the amount but all of the energy companies that used to be in Nola are now in Houston, except for Entergy. So not all of that is self made.
I didn't say it all was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Not to mention I wouldn't call sitting on oil reserves "self made".
Nope, but the capitalization of said resources is the definition of self-made.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:29 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,391,002 times
North Carolina hands down. And it's not even Close. Tallest mountains on the east coast. Beautiful coastline and the cities. Primarily Raleigh and Charlotte are growing like crazy. Also name recognition as someone else stated. Research Triangle Park is world renowned. As is Charlotte's banking prowess. Heathcare Duke University and UNC hospitals alone are class leading. And then the Universities. Good proximity for travel also.

Side note UNC won the NCAA once again just days ago.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:17 AM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
None of these.

With the exception of Georgia, none of these states have the metros of significant size to match TX or FL. FL is always going to be a draw due to tourism and weather. TX has multiple large metros and natural resources.

I'd put South Carolina directly behind GA, as it has multiple metros that are growing and doing well. TN is behind that, with Nashville doing exceptionally well, but the rest of the state is struggling. MS, AL, LA are just basket cases.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:17 AM

21,182 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
None of these.

With the exception of Georgia, none of these states have the metros of significant size to match TX or FL. FL is always going to be a draw due to tourism and weather. TX has multiple large metros and natural resources.

I'd put South Carolina directly behind GA, as it has multiple metros that are growing and doing well.
Just curious but outside of Atlanta, where else in Georgia is there evidence of another metro area emerging as an economic power? I agree with South Carolina as yes, it does have a few areas that are growing significantly.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:30 PM

3,750 posts, read 3,866,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
AZ. We've already passed TX.
2015 to 2016 numbers

Arizona +113,506

Texas +432,957

Arizona has a long way to go.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:35 PM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
Quote:
Just curious but outside of Atlanta, where else in Georgia is there evidence of another metro area emerging as an economic power? I agree with South Carolina as yes, it does have a few areas that are growing significantly.
I meant Atlanta and being in the same league of MIA, DFW, etc. The rest of GA really doesn't have much, but the same could be said about the rest of the states. NC is more diversified. VA, outside of NoVA and maybe Richmond, doesn't have much either.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:45 PM

21,182 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I meant Atlanta and being in the same league of MIA, DFW, etc. The rest of GA really doesn't have much, but the same could be said about the rest of the states. NC is more diversified. VA, outside of NoVA and maybe Richmond, doesn't have much either.
SC has Columbia, Greenville-Spartanburg and Charleston which are all thriving and showing aggressive growth. VA is pretty solidified with NoVA, Richmond and Virginia Beach-Norfolk. The point being one city doesn't carry a state in this conversation I don't think.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:16 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,357,039 times
Quote:

I'd keep an eye on Augusta. Was recently chosen as site of the U.S. Military's Cyber Command Center and the state of Georgia is also building their Cyber Security Center there. The state's board of regents are also attempting to upgrade Augusta University to better compete with Georgia's other big Tier 1 colleges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or