U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-06-2008, 11:19 AM
j33
 
4,625 posts, read 12,869,909 times
Reputation: 1668

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Who can stand to live around that many politicians all the time?
No kidding, if I had to live in a town with both Illinois politicians and Chicago politicians I think I'd just go insane.

Actually, we have a fair amount of Illinois politicians skulking about our streets, but thankfully just not all of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-06-2008, 12:21 PM
 
47 posts, read 122,525 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
No kidding, if I had to live in a town with both Illinois politicians and Chicago politicians I think I'd just go insane.

Actually, we have a fair amount of Illinois politicians skulking about our streets, but thankfully just not all of them.
You should build a wall among state boarder it was in Berlin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2008, 02:14 PM
 
5,859 posts, read 14,055,227 times
Reputation: 3486
There are so many variables at work here. Most capitals were designated before the industrial revolution. It is industry and commerce that largely determines the ultimate sizes of cities, not whether or not they are a capital. Industry and commerce do not necessarily seek the same attributes of a location as politics does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2008, 03:13 PM
CNI
 
194 posts, read 521,759 times
Reputation: 63
Often state capitals have many entities located within their boundaries that do not contribute to the tax base. Federal court buildings, state institution, colleges, etc. While these institutions do add to the quality of life, they can take up prime downtown and city real estate that might otherwise be used for corporate development (and the taxes that accompany it).
This may hinder growth by putting more of a tax burden on residents than they would undure in other cities.
Also, in VA, state legislators from far flung areas typically like to treat the capital as if it is also their home turf and they interfere with local decisions that should be made by capital residents. This can also hinder growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2008, 07:38 PM
 
Location: Yakima, Washington
216 posts, read 890,330 times
Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Pierre, South Dakota is the nation's smallest capital city.
Actually Montpelier, Vermont is the nation's smallest capital with a population of 8,035 at the 2000 census.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2008, 08:31 PM
 
5,859 posts, read 14,055,227 times
Reputation: 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNI View Post
Often state capitals have many entities located within their boundaries that do not contribute to the tax base. Federal court buildings, state institution, colleges, etc. While these institutions do add to the quality of life, they can take up prime downtown and city real estate that might otherwise be used for corporate development (and the taxes that accompany it).
This may hinder growth by putting more of a tax burden on residents than they would undure in other cities.
Also, in VA, state legislators from far flung areas typically like to treat the capital as if it is also their home turf and they interfere with local decisions that should be made by capital residents. This can also hinder growth.
Not so in St. Paul. We have our own economy that would sustain itself without the presence of state government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2008, 08:49 PM
 
Location: Katy-zuela
4,852 posts, read 8,997,774 times
Reputation: 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
It does seem that way. Not here in Georgia, where Atlanta is the capital, but certainly in many other states.
I was thinking of the same; that kind of exception should be written in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
No kidding, if I had to live in a town with both Illinois politicians and Chicago politicians I think I'd just go insane.

Actually, we have a fair amount of Illinois politicians skulking about our streets, but thankfully just not all of them.
I want it back in Houston. Those Austinites stole it from us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2008, 06:30 AM
CNI
 
194 posts, read 521,759 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Not so in St. Paul. We have our own economy that would sustain itself without the presence of state government.
It was never implied that any state capital does not have a viable economy w/o the presence of state government.
You are proclaiming St. Paul is viable w/o state government. Fine. Thanks for sharing.
In response to the OP's thread, I am theorizing that some capital cities would have MORE population if the capital's government had a larger tax base, residents had less of a tax burden, etc.


To a certain extent...Apples - Oranges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2008, 02:04 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
251 posts, read 634,288 times
Reputation: 71
Quote:
I want it back in Houston. Those Austinites stole it from us!
And Houston took it from San Antonio, the original regional capital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2008, 02:13 PM
 
812 posts, read 3,584,501 times
Reputation: 370
Sacramento's down the list a few compared to other CA cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top