U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-23-2008, 03:26 PM
 
1,178 posts, read 3,441,078 times
Reputation: 403

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Pierre, South Dakota is the nation's smallest capital city. It's located in the center and on the banks of the Missouri River, South Dakota's largest body of water. It's kind of a special capital.
I thought Carson City, Nevada was the smallest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-23-2008, 06:32 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 20 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,006 posts, read 102,606,536 times
Reputation: 33064
Pierre, SD: 13,876
Carson City, NV: 52,457

Per City-Data

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 04-23-2008 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2008, 06:40 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
251 posts, read 634,167 times
Reputation: 71
Quote:
The only reason it was moved further east was because it was too close to Mexico (when they claimed that Texas ended on the Nueces River). You can have it if you want it; it's a perfect setting for the state capital compared to Austin.
No, that's ok. I wouldn't want to spend more money on A/C when all that hot air comes blowing in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2008, 10:20 PM
 
Location: Alabama!
5,849 posts, read 15,943,673 times
Reputation: 4348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post
And alot of state capitals are the states largest city, or really close to it, and really important to the state economically. these states are
Alabama: Montgomery
Sorry, Montgomery is the 4th biggest city in Alabama...not even close to the largest city (Birmingham). The biggest thing in Montgomery is the state government.
Most of the state capitols were established many, many years ago when population centers were much different from today. But the politicians aren't going to change capitol cities now just because other cities have grown.
It's ALL politics...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2008, 10:35 AM
 
909 posts, read 2,705,287 times
Reputation: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Sorry, Montgomery is the 4th biggest city in Alabama...not even close to the largest city (Birmingham). The biggest thing in Montgomery is the state government.
Most of the state capitols were established many, many years ago when population centers were much different from today. But the politicians aren't going to change capitol cities now just because other cities have grown.
It's ALL politics...

montgomery has a little more than 200,000 thousand people doesnt it? and if you re-read the statement you will find that i said one of the states largest citys. maybe you should re-think that statement. because 200,000 people is more than alot of state capitals, and i thought that montgomery was the 2nd largest city in alabama. seems pretty close to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2008, 11:04 AM
 
7,278 posts, read 13,529,272 times
Reputation: 3610
The US has a strong physiocratic tradition. In many states, capitals were deliberately chosen away from the major cities as a way to both ensure that a single city wouldn't monopolize government and keep the sort of agricultural tradition that many value as the source of wealth and power.

There's always been a sort of anti-urban undercurrent in the US that you don't see as heavily in, say, Western Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2008, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Chariton, Iowa
681 posts, read 2,772,073 times
Reputation: 446
Montpelier, VT is technically the smallest state capital in the US. Est 2006 pop: 7,954. It has been for a long time.

Now, if you want to talk "area population", Montpelier is part of the Barre Micropolitan area, with 59, 564 residents. So while it might not be the smallest state capital area, it is technically the smallest state capital city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2008, 08:55 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 20 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,006 posts, read 102,606,536 times
Reputation: 33064
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpHawkeye View Post
Montpelier, VT is technically the smallest state capital in the US. Est 2006 pop: 7,954. It has been for a long time.

Now, if you want to talk "area population", Montpelier is part of the Barre Micropolitan area, with 59, 564 residents. So while it might not be the smallest state capital area, it is technically the smallest state capital city.
Well, I'll be dipped!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 12:58 PM
 
497 posts, read 395,633 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post
montgomery has a little more than 200,000 thousand people doesnt it? and if you re-read the statement you will find that i said one of the states largest citys. maybe you should re-think that statement. because 200,000 people is more than alot of state capitals, and i thought that montgomery was the 2nd largest city in alabama. seems pretty close to me.
Yes Montgomery as 200 plus k ppl and it's the 2nd largest city, it just passed Mobile last year in population by like 10k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 04:11 PM
 
871 posts, read 1,957,625 times
Reputation: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProperMan View Post
Most state's capitals are less populated than largest city in the state.
E.g. NY capital is Albany population 95 000, biggest town is New York City population is 8 000 000.

And this true for most states i checked, why its so?
because these capitals were chosen before they knew which cities would develop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top