U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 11:49 PM

2,035 posts, read 4,556,257 times

Advertisements

Louisiana is extremely music/artist friendly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 01:28 PM

35 posts, read 22,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godgers1244 View Post
Thanks for all the replies guys. Based on what I'm Hearing Ohio, and Nashville seem to make the most sense. Although Washington is an interestng option I never considered. Thanks again!
Dude, I would really think twice about Nashville. From what I've heard and read, the competition is so stark there that it's nearly impossible to actually get noticed. You'll most likely be fighting tooth and nail with other musicians just to play shows for free. (I'm not even exaggerating; this is how it is in a lot of the classic "music" cities now, although I can't speak as well to Nashville specifically.) Based on that, I think Nashville would make a lot more sense if your focus was on collaborating with other musicians and you weren't so concerned about playing shows or building a following, but I think based on your OP, any of the other suggestions would be much better for you. (FWIW, rent in Nashville also isn't exactly cheap these days, unless you're comparing to places like NY, LA, etc., although you might be able to find cheap rent if you're willing to commute more -- not sure about that.) The general consensus these days seems to be that location isn't all that important anymore even if you're looking to "make it big"... If you build up a strong local following anywhere these days, then I think you're in a fairly good position. The bulk of songwriter income these days is live shows anyways! I think you'd be far better served focusing on somewhere where rent is cheap and where there's a lot of places you can play! Of the suggestions given, I'd put in another vote for one of the Ohio cities suggested. I also think many of the other suggestions given are worth considering. Just keep in mind that competition or being in a destination music spot isn't necessarily a good thing these days, especially because you say you are doing everything yourself. It doesn't hurt to be a bit of a novelty even, as long as you're playing to an audience that is going to appreciate what you have to offer. You need somewhere this is cheap enough to afford you the time/energy to work on your art (again, the midwest is a good bet), somewhere that has enough infrastructure to afford you opportunities to play, and somewhere where the audience is there to appreciate it. Columbus is a mid-sized city (with a 2M metro population!) and a college town (that's a receptive audience!) in the midwest (aka, reasonable rent)... it sounds pretty good to me, at least on paper.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:56 PM

870 posts, read 752,136 times
Nashville and New Orleans

Old 04-06-2017, 02:50 PM

21,189 posts, read 30,372,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godgers1244 View Post
I am a 24 yr old aspiring musician. Singer/songwriter. I do it all myself, but want to move to a new city with more opportunities for gigs and to find some people to form what will be my band. I've had this vision for years. I've put in the work as far as writing songs, saving a little money etc. I don't have some kush corporate career. I've just been grinding to get by. So my question to you guys is simple. Give me a city, not named New York, Austin, or L.A that is possible to make rent in, and has some opportunities ala (bars, venues, and close enough to bordering states to play more shows). Places I have found that interest me include Nevada, and Ohio. Both have large cities with music opportunities, and border other states that wouldn't be a huge commute. My rent budget will be max 1000 on my own. I will work 2 jobs if I have too. Public transportation is a plus but not necessary. I'm just looking for somewhere to lay the ground work for my dreams. I don't need a speech or lecture/reality check. I've been scrapping by my whole life, I don't see why it's not worth going all out for my dreams. I just don't want to live in a total **** hole. My genre is alt rock, but I also do solo acoustic/soft rock. I can do a number of side gigs to help pay the bills. So with this rant over, what are your suggestions?
Check out Chapel Hill-Carrboro NC which has a nationally known/well-established music scene with proven talent and plenty of success stories which keeps it "on the map" for talent. The cost of living is very doable and there are plenty of clubs in town, in neighboring Durham or Raleigh (and across NC) that are an easy drive for varying gigs. Chapel Hill-Carrboro has free public transit, but is also largely walkable and geographically condense for pocket-friendly Uber or Lyft rides when needed.

http://catscradle.com/
Home
About | Local 506
Haw River Ballroom

Old 04-08-2017, 02:53 AM

6,060 posts, read 3,384,906 times
Denton.

We're a music and college town. Jazz and country are the most prominent local genres but you can find anything really. Plenty of alt rock and hip hop. Not a big city but definitely not a small town. Conveniently close to Dallas and Fort Worth.

However I must warn you, roads are HORRIBLE.

Old 04-09-2017, 02:40 PM

412 posts, read 306,313 times
Nashville, Memphis, Austin or Chicago. Those are the 4 music capitals in the US (aside from LA and NY) and are all very affordable.

Old 04-10-2017, 04:12 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,759,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVanderbilt View Post
Nashville, Memphis, Austin or Chicago. Those are the 4 music capitals in the US (aside from LA and NY) and are all very affordable.
LOL what

Old 04-10-2017, 08:28 PM

412 posts, read 306,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
LOL what
Forgot New Orleans .

Old 04-11-2017, 10:36 AM

760 posts, read 589,308 times
From what I've heard from friends in the music industry, Austin and Nashville are pretty much already tapped out.

I've heard that Minneapolis is currently one of the best for emerging artists. Low COL, high appreciation for indie music, endless venue options, not over saturated. It's also just an amazing city all around. The art scene, while smaller than other major metros, is talked up as very encouraging and welcoming.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:16 PM

44 posts, read 33,732 times
I too would suggest Cincinnati, that style is pretty popular (lived there in high school). I might even recommend staying on the Kentucky side (Erlanger up to Newport) because you can find some VERY cheap places that aren't S***H**es. If you are in Newport you can even walk to more than a few places if you can get your foot in the door. I have more than 1 buddy who have gotten day gigs playing at local places in Newport. Google "Newport on the Levee" and look at all the places in that area you can play (great view too). If I still lived there I might be able to help you more, but keep it on your radar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or