U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 12:25 PM

27 posts, read 23,786 times

Advertisements

Detroit plenty of space
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 10:31 AM

200 posts, read 234,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoevge View Post
Thanks for this. We are actually visiting Columbus this week. It looks pretty great, especially the German Village. I love walkability and despise the American car culture city layout. We love hiking and are slightly concerned about the "flatness," but otherwise it looks like it could be great.
If you can find work here, Columbus is a good choice. Their metropark system has some good hiking and within an hour's drive south is the Hocking Hills region (yes hills) with lots of hiking and cabin rentals. Not too far from WV either.

Columbus Metroparks Hiking Trails
Parks & Trails - Metro Parks - Central Ohio Park System

Hocking Hills Hiking Trails
https://www.hockinghills.com/hiking.html

Old 04-06-2017, 10:43 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,036,731 times
I'd second (third? ...) Philly. A short flight to WV, reasonable COL (for a NE metro area), lots of local and state parks nearby (and 1+ hrs out, you have mountains to the north & northwest and the NJ Pine Barrens aka "Pinelands" to the East). Tremendous variety of affordable housing stock adjacent to Center City (downtown), and if you are OK w/ a 1/2 hr train ride into town, you can live in NW Philly and have a decently priced house, shops/restaurants (along Germantown Ave.), and easy access to Wissahickon Creek (a semi-wilderness within the city limits).

Old 04-06-2017, 10:45 AM

1,898 posts, read 843,980 times
Philly, and Chicago may work for you. There are lots of small cities that may work but it will depend on what kind of job you find. Portland Maine for Instance or Burlington Vermont, but both would be flying home and no idea on job markets for your field. You could take a look at Stamford CT, a little cheaper then Boston but close to NYC.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:49 AM

29,874 posts, read 27,333,728 times
I would have mentioned Philly but given the reasons they dislike Pittsburgh, I'm not sure Philly would be the best fit. Not saying all of those criticisms of Pittsburgh apply to Philly, but enough do. Seems like the OP wants a more polished city and not one with a couple of rough edges, which is too bad; I think that gives Philly a certain 'charm.'

Old 04-06-2017, 10:57 AM

5,300 posts, read 3,298,118 times
I've lived in 5 different states and in about 7 different cities over the past 10 years. It took me a while, but I finally found the place to call home. Chicago isn't perfect, but it meets 95% of my needs and wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or