U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 12:45 AM

992 posts, read 577,215 times

Advertisements

I don't get all these California references. Neither I nor anyone I know cares about high school football. (Frankly, I don't get why you'd be interested in high school sports, but that's irrelevant.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 05:36 AM

10,097 posts, read 7,534,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
I don't get all these California references. Neither I nor anyone I know cares about high school football. (Frankly, I don't get why you'd be interested in high school sports, but that's irrelevant.)
You're in downtown LA. Not even in inner loop Houston do they care all that much about HS football. I am talking about the smaller cities and towns headed more eastward.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
You're in downtown LA. Not even in inner loop Houston do they care all that much about HS football. I am talking about the smaller cities and towns headed more eastward.
There aren't very many small towns in CA. Its a very urbanized state.

Old 04-09-2017, 12:11 PM

1,536 posts, read 2,263,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post
Personally, having lived in Oklahoma and Texas, I feel the football culture is much more prevalent in Oklahoma than in Texas (and I currently live very close to Allen and McKinney). I suspect many of the other states not mentioned have stronger football cultures than the states people have listed. I have lived in Florida and California, and personally don't feel like most people there, in general, give a rat's *** compared to say someplace like Alabama or Indiana.
Been to a couple of games in OKC visiting my cousin up there and it definitely didn't feel any more prevalent in OK then in Texas. Then again i'm from East Texas where HS football is even above religion to a lot of folks. It's all we pretty much have. I mean, a lot of East Texans and Texans played for OU and help make that football program more relevant in recent years then a lot of other college programs.

Old 04-09-2017, 12:33 PM

4,154 posts, read 4,727,127 times
Quote:
They always have some of the best teams in the nation. A couple of years ago, a team came from CA and destroyed Aledo, a perennial Texas powerhouse. The CA team lost four or five games that year, and Aledo went to the state finals. Teams in the PAC 12 are stacked with CA players. For what it's worth, MANY people here in Texas don't care about high school football, either. I know people who played in those small football crazy towns here in Texas, and they were happy to get away from it. They were completely burned out from that "culture" when they left.

Old 04-09-2017, 01:31 PM

1,439 posts, read 801,578 times
I don't care about high school football but I live in a major metro area where there's lots of other options for live entertainment including college football. I also don't have kids who will play football.

Old 04-09-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
They always have some of the best teams in the nation. A couple of years ago, a team came from CA and destroyed Aledo, a perennial Texas powerhouse. The CA team lost four or five games that year, and Aledo went to the state finals. Teams in the PAC 12 are stacked with CA players. For what it's worth, MANY people here in Texas don't care about high school football, either. I know people who played in those small football crazy towns here in Texas, and they were happy to get away from it. They were completely burned out from that "culture" when they left.
True, but that's just because CA is a really big state. About half of CA is in greater LA and another quarter is in the Bay Area, and both areas have very low per-capita high school football interest, but there are so many people there are going to be a few great teams.

Old 04-09-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
True, but that's just because CA is a really big state. About half of CA is in greater LA and another quarter is in the Bay Area, and both areas have very low per-capita high school football interest, but there are so many people there are going to be a few great teams.
I think you mean most of coastal CA is very urbanized and developed. Head east and it's as Americana as anywhere in AZ or Colorado. I live in LA and work in Calabasas, high school football is sorta big here. Not Friday Night Lights big but still big. I went to some of the smaller towns and cities in central CA like Atascadero and they had some HS football culture. I don't get why you're trying to make CA so different from the rest of the country.

Old 04-09-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
There aren't very many small towns in CA. Its a very urbanized state.
Ok clearly you don't travel much in the state.

Old 04-09-2017, 11:17 PM

2,123 posts, read 4,316,016 times
I see all this Mittland, Odessa stuff ... WTH ??????

Texas High School State Championship Doubles the Attendance of New Mexico Bowl | Bleacher Report

I'm an old guy but went to PN-G. Those 70's PN-G teams regularly packed the Astrodome with 32-35K. This is no mega school but a school whose enrollment was and is around 1400. That's quite a tradition. Whipped them Mojo's in '75 for the state championship.

All-Time Attendance Records | pngindians.com

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_N...es_High_School

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING comes even close to comparing to Texas high school preps football.

I can concur with the New England pizz poor HS football, style and tradition, but I have no experience with some other regions but I did live in Maine for a couple of years.

Texas High School State Championship Doubles the Attendance of New Mexico Bowl | Bleacher Report
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or