U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 04:07 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,808,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
I'm an old guy but went to PN-G.
Hear ya go Bob, just for you:

I-N-D-I-A-N-S, Scalp 'em, Indians, Scalp 'em!
I-N-D-I-A-N-S, Scalp 'em, Indians, Scalp 'em!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 01:00 PM

3,946 posts, read 4,043,310 times
Have you ever been to Albuquerque - for pleasure? Neither has anyone else.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:55 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,069,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Texas,Florida,California then there's everybody else HA!
TBH, when it comes to strong high school football cultures, Ohio is right up there with these three. In fact, you could make an argument that the big 3 as far as culture is concerned is Texas, Florida, and Ohio (replacing California). It translates to college atmospheres. There is nothing in the Pac 12 on the level of UT, A&M, Ohio State, Florida State, or Florida. Talent is a different story.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:04 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,732,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
TBH, when it comes to strong high school football cultures, Ohio is right up there with these three. In fact, you could make an argument that the big 3 as far as culture is concerned is Texas, Florida, and Ohio (replacing California). It translates to college atmospheres. There is nothing in the Pac 12 on the level of UT, A&M, Ohio State, Florida State, or Florida. Talent is a different story.
This. The Big 10 has an excellent feeder system. Ohio and western Pennsylvania have very strong football cultures. I don't know if western PA is the same as what it once was. The coal miner's work ethic had a lot to do with it. Even back in the day in New England, the "mill towns" usually had strong teams. Nowadays, it's the wealthiest towns with the best facilities that dominate, similar to the way they do here in Texas. Towns like Midland and Odessa are just a shell of what they used to be, while wealthy schools like Katy, Allen, Lake Travis, The Woodlands, and Southlake, etc. have become perennial powers.

Last edited by thenewtexan; 04-10-2017 at 07:56 PM..

Old 04-10-2017, 09:30 PM

79 posts, read 54,104 times
My apologies, I haven't been able to move this post to a better forum, as I was suggested to do.

So, overall it sounds as though it's not entirely location by state as much as by size of town/city, and small towns, generally go in for high school football more?

Have asked because I'm trying to get away from high school football culture. The last three places I've lived have been obsessed with it. That's fine for them -- I'm not bashing it -- but I'd prefer to be away from it.

Your responses have been a big help, and I thank you.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:11 PM

17,686 posts, read 4,076,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokemoki View Post
My apologies, I haven't been able to move this post to a better forum, as I was suggested to do.

So, overall it sounds as though it's not entirely location by state as much as by size of town/city, and small towns, generally go in for high school football more?

Have asked because I'm trying to get away from high school football culture. The last three places I've lived have been obsessed with it. That's fine for them -- I'm not bashing it -- but I'd prefer to be away from it.

Your responses have been a big help, and I thank you.
You are welcome.Best of luck.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:23 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,069,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
This. The Big 10 has an excellent feeder system. Ohio and western Pennsylvania have very strong football cultures. I don't know if western PA is the same as what it once was. The coal miner's work ethic had a lot to do with it. Even back in the day in New England, the "mill towns" usually had strong teams. Nowadays, it's the wealthiest towns with the best facilities that dominate, similar to the way they do here in Texas. Towns like Midland and Odessa are just a shell of what they used to be, while wealthy schools like Katy, Allen, Lake Travis, The Woodlands, and Southlake, etc. have become perennial powers.
The only state where that hasn't quite reached that point is Florida but it's starting to happen there. In the larger classifications, inner city Miami and the rest of the county was dominating Florida high school football. Teams like Northwestern, Carol City, Central, Norland have all won numerous titles the last few years. Then you had teams like Belle Glade continuing to win state. In the 80s, inner city Dallas and Houston schools competed more for championships. Teams like Dallas Carter and Houston Yates. Now, they'd be lucky to get past round 2.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:33 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,541,684 times
Maybe not representative of the entire state of New York, but I grew up on Long Island and few people cared about high-school football. Pretty much only the friends of the players ever went to the games. The players weren't popular, either -- like not at all. On the other hand, we did have a player who ended up having a cup of coffee in the NFL and people were pretty excited about that.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:17 PM

2,123 posts, read 4,319,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southeasttexas View Post
Hear ya go Bob, just for you:

I-N-D-I-A-N-S, Scalp 'em, Indians, Scalp 'em!
I-N-D-I-A-N-S, Scalp 'em, Indians, Scalp 'em!!!

I might be considered a not so tight fan, haven't been to a game in 15 years.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:05 PM

773 posts, read 474,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I agree. I don't know why so many people are mentioning Pennsylvania without Ohio. Ohio is definitely stronger than PA. I don't think Ohio is quite on the level of Florida and Texas but there are several programs in Ohio that can compete with anyone in the country

Overall I've heard that Florida has the most talent.

Weakest; pretty much anywhere in New England and New York. I would say Wyoming, the Dakotas and Idaho but the population is just so low that it's not even fair

Last edited by Jame22; 04-11-2017 at 07:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or