Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 09:46 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,071 times

Advertisements

For pure talent and volume of talent: Texas, Florida and California

After that, it's any combination of: Louisiana, Georgia, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, South Carolina, Mississippi, Alabama and others.

I'd say TX is the strongest and deepest overall. The top 5 to 10 teams in each state are probably comparable most years. However Texas has far more depth; a much less noticeable drop from the top tier to the second and third rungs. The 50th best school in TX might wipe the floor with the 50th best in any other state, CA and FL included. As for football culture, I'd say all of the south has strong tradition along with much of the midwest.

Texas football is strongest in the rural and suburban communities. Big cities like Dallas and Houston often produce better basketball teams than football teams. Dallas ISD hasn't won a football state title since 1950 (if we ignore 1988 Dallas Carter, likely one of the best H.S. squads ever assembled in TX) but have had some serious talent on the hardwood including producing 3 state titles in the last 4 years. 2001 Dallas Lincoln, led by Chris Bosh won the state and mythical 'national championship' as the #1 ranked boys hoops team in the nation. Dallas and Houston schools often have more raw talent than the surrounding burbs, but they don't have that singular community dynamic that flows from pee-wee up through high school. A school like Dallas Skyline could have a handful of future NFL starters in a given year but get knocked out in the 2nd round of the playoffs by a rural or suburban school with only one or two D-1 college prospects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 10:04 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Just to bring this back up but I agree with you. Regarding Ohio, Ohio State notices this as well. They know they live in a heavily talented state. But in addition to the rest of the Big 10 recruiting your state as well as other FBS non-Ohio schools recruiting it, you have instate schools like Bowling Green, Toledo, Cincinnati, Youngstown State, etc. getting these kids. Ohio State still gets most of the best players in Ohio but the Buckeyes recruit out of state with the best of them. They got three top players from Texas in February.

The state of Texas is worst. More college teams and more college teams in the FBS. Texas and to a smaller extent, Texas A&M, have for the longest lived on the laurels that we don't have to recruit out of state. They relied to much on Texas. The Florida schools don't do that. They never have. Florida is rich in talent but they have always left the state to get players. I don't think any of Miami's NC quarterbacks were from Florida. Warrick Dunn was from LSU country. The most Texas and Texas A&M would usually go is Louisiana if they leave Texas. Texas has some players from California but not much. Texas is now starting to buck the trend as well as they have many offers to both instate and out of state players. If Herman can win 9 games this year, I can see that trend continuing in a major way. He already has two players from Oklahoma and one from Florida.

Before Strong got to Texas, Texas rarely recruited Georgia and Florida. Something I have always found weird. I would not be surprised if Texas has now pulled in more Florida recruits in the last three years than they ever have in its rich program history.
UT might be the worst at this, especially when it comes to QB's.

In their own backyard they missed out on Drew Brees, Andrew Luck, Andy Dalton, Matthew Stafford, RGIII (star in college) and Johnny Manziel. Jameis Winston (from Alabama) desperately wanted to go to UT but Mack Brown had other ideas.

Heck, the Horns could have had a backfield of Adrian Peterson and Vince Young....possibly even with Jamaal Charles in spot duty!

Old 07-14-2017, 10:15 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
If I were the first to reoly, I would type "you mean besides Texas..."

Old 07-14-2017, 05:40 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
The Little Texas portion of New Mexico has a strong football culture

Old 07-14-2017, 07:31 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,791,886 times
You guys are underrating Southern California and New Jersey.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:15 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,448,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
The Little Texas portion of New Mexico has a strong football culture
Are you referring to Lea County, NM? Lovington, NM is about 25 miles from TX and it's a hometown of Brian Urlacher - Go Wildcats!

Old 07-14-2017, 09:41 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
You guys are underrating Southern California and New Jersey.
New Jersey is good but it is behind Texas, Florida, California, Georgia, Louisiana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.

Old 07-15-2017, 04:38 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Are you referring to Lea County, NM? Lovington, NM is about 25 miles from TX and it's a hometown of Brian Urlacher - Go Wildcats!
Lea County,New Mexico is part of Little Texas.Football is also big in Artesia which is in Eddy County in America's Land of Enchantment.I think I have seen Lovington play b4.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:43 AM

3 posts, read 2,480 times
In the Rio Grande Valley (southeast Texas/border with Mexico) it have a weak culture for football, maybe because the Hispanic kids are more into soccer by the influence of the border cities.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:47 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,628,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enriquehdz View Post
In the Rio Grande Valley (southeast Texas/border with Mexico) it have a weak culture for football, maybe because the Hispanic kids are more into soccer by the influence of the border cities.
Yep, there is a weak football culture and the heavy "Hispanic" populace is the reason for several reasons. When's the last time a RGV/deep South Texas team won a state title? Can't recall one. San Antone and Austin is represented well along with West Texas teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.