Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 02:14 PM

11 posts, read 7,569 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I could really use some help deciding what city/state to move to from Houston, Texas. I've been living in Texas for over 3.5 years and I haven't put down roots or felt like I'm home for quite a few reasons.

I'm looking for:

1. Good number of job opportunities, especially for a Graphic and visual Web Designer.
2. Beautiful nature and nice weather. I like rain and don't mind snow in the winter (as long as it's not too cold for several months) and hate almost constant humidity and heat. Having 4 seasons would also be nice!
3. Friendly people and the chance to meet them and have a social life.
4. People with open minds and progressive thinking.
5. Decent, somewhat affordable living.
6. Not very conservative.
7. Good cultural scene.

Lately, I've been thinking of Washington but I'm still researching and open to any suggestions or insight.
I want to settle and build a life.

I'd LOVE to hear from you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 02:17 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Perhaps Denver but I hear it's getting increasingly expensive. I'd also check out Salt Lake City.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:23 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
If living amongst abundant greenery is important look to the PNW; otherwise, look at Denver and Salt Lake City.

Don't blame you for wanting to get outta Houston. We lived in DFW for several years and the Texas Triangle pretty much blows if you're outdoorsy.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:29 PM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaNewWay View Post
I'm looking for:

1. Good number of job opportunities, especially for a Graphic and visual Web Designer.
2. Beautiful nature and nice weather. I like rain and don't mind snow in the winter (as long as it's not too cold for several months) and hate almost constant humidity and heat. Having 4 seasons would also be nice!
3. Friendly people and the chance to meet them and have a social life.
4. People with open minds and progressive thinking.
5. Decent, somewhat affordable living.
6. Not very conservative.
7. Good cultural scene.
Durham NC nails every one of your criteria points. The job market is quite good, very affordable with nice two bedroom apartments renting under $1000 a month and salaries competitive to much more expensive cities, it's a beautiful area with lots of tree coverage and greenery, the weather is moderate with pretty much an even four season climate, the people are extraordinarily friendly and open to transplants with a diverse population from all over the world, the population is very well-educated in general and open-minded/progressive, left of center politically and offers a tremendous cultural scene with both visual and performing arts. Though you didn't bring it up the food scene is national caliber with excellent restaurants and some of the best farmers markets in the US.

https://www.durham-nc.com/things-to-do/performing-arts/
https://www.durham-nc.com/things-to-...mpany#searchBr
The ArtsCenter | Carrboro, NC
Durham Arts Council - About Us
https://www.carolinaperformingarts.org/
The Nasher Museum of Art at Duke University -
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...62_rect/10_zm/

Old 07-08-2017, 03:10 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,050 times
Below I have listed a few areas that could out well. They're all up & coming tech areas that are still affordable. Each area basically has all 4 seasons, but the people in these cities are very friendly, especially Nashville (good ole southern hospitality). Good luck in your search!

Raleigh, NC
Indianapolis, IN
Nashville, TN

Old 07-08-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Perhaps Denver but I hear it's getting increasingly expensive. I'd also check out Salt Lake City.
Two good recommendations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
If living amongst abundant greenery is important look to the PNW; otherwise, look at Denver and Salt Lake City.

Don't blame you for wanting to get outta Houston. We lived in DFW for several years and the Texas Triangle pretty much blows if you're outdoorsy.
The PNW does seem attractive. Yes! It does blow! Where do you reside now and why did you choose that city in particular? If you don't mind me asking, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Durham NC nails every one of your criteria points. The job market is quite good, very affordable with nice two bedroom apartments renting under $1000 a month and salaries competitive to much more expensive cities, it's a beautiful area with lots of tree coverage and greenery, the weather is moderate with pretty much an even four season climate, the people are extraordinarily friendly and open to transplants with a diverse population from all over the world, the population is very well-educated in general and open-minded/progressive, left of center politically and offers a tremendous cultural scene with both visual and performing arts. Though you didn't bring it up the food scene is national caliber with excellent restaurants and some of the best farmers markets in the US.

https://www.durham-nc.com/things-to-do/performing-arts/
https://www.durham-nc.com/things-to-...mpany#searchBr
The ArtsCenter | Carrboro, NC
Durham Arts Council - About Us
https://www.carolinaperformingarts.org/
The Nasher Museum of Art at Duke University -
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...62_rect/10_zm/
Pretty good information. I'm glad you mentioned it; I'm passionate about food and love to eat from different cuisines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Below I have listed a few areas that could out well. They're all up & coming tech areas that are still affordable. Each area basically has all 4 seasons, but the people in these cities are very friendly, especially Nashville (good ole southern hospitality). Good luck in your search!

Raleigh, NC
Indianapolis, IN
Nashville, TN
Lovely. Do you live in Nashville?

Old 07-08-2017, 06:59 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,050 times
Quote:
Two good recommendations!

The PNW does seem attractive. Yes! It does blow! Where do you reside now and why did you choose that city in particular? If you don't mind me asking, of course.

Pretty good information. I'm glad you mentioned it; I'm passionate about food and love to eat from different cuisines.

Lovely. Do you live in Nashville?
I lived about 20 minutes south of Nashville for almost 2 years, a few years ago, currently in the Bay Area now.

I enjoyed Nashville. There was always something going on, a lot of good "community" vibes in not only Nashville, but the towns nearby (I lived in Franklin, TN). There are some decent hikes, lakes, etc...nearby as well. Friendliness is a strong point there as well, Southern hospitality is a real thing!

Old 07-08-2017, 07:11 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tech_Valley

The Albany-Schenectady-Troy metro is in the center of this area and may be worth a look.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:15 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Quote:
We moved back to Colorado in 2011. We live in the suburbs of Denver.

It's more expensive than Houston and DFW, but for my money it's worth every penny because I have the Rocky Mountains at my doorstep and I don't have to live in air conditioning for 1/4-1/3 of the year.

It's not as lush as the southeast, but that's fine by me because it means almost no humidity and fewer bugs & vermin.

Old 07-09-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
I lived about 20 minutes south of Nashville for almost 2 years, a few years ago, currently in the Bay Area now.

I enjoyed Nashville. There was always something going on, a lot of good "community" vibes in not only Nashville, but the towns nearby (I lived in Franklin, TN). There are some decent hikes, lakes, etc...nearby as well. Friendliness is a strong point there as well, Southern hospitality is a real thing!
Sounds nice. Yes, in Houston people are also nice in general and since I haven't been to many places in the U.S. yet, I have no good perception of the friendliness meter by the region.

What do you think of the Bay Area? Pros & cons.. (I know a con is the cost of living).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tech_Valley

The Albany-Schenectady-Troy metro is in the center of this area and may be worth a look.
Albany.. hmmmm... I'll look into it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
We moved back to Colorado in 2011. We live in the suburbs of Denver.

It's more expensive than Houston and DFW, but for my money it's worth every penny because I have the Rocky Mountains at my doorstep and I don't have to live in air conditioning for 1/4-1/3 of the year.

It's not as lush as the southeast, but that's fine by me because it means almost no humidity and fewer bugs & vermin.
I agree with you and the nature is definitely far more beautiful in Colorado. No humidity and less bugs are always great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.