U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 09:39 PM

988 posts, read 592,610 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are approaching the empty nester stage. But we are younger than most in that category, and certainly have more of an affinity to what is a typical 20s and 30s (well maybe 30s) urban lifestyle than most people our age.

We'll likely be right about 50, and our "spirit" is more like 40.

Right now we are a couple of years away from wrapping up our suburban Chicago life, where we've raised our kids (youngest is 17). We've always wanted to downsize, move to the city where we can enjoy that life. We'd like to balance this so we are doing the city thing, but not surrounded by 25-30 year old "bros" wondering who those old people are.

My question is this. What city cores are conducive to someone in our situation? Chicago certainly could work, we know a few others that have done this in our city and that's certainly our main target. But before we get too set on that, I'm wondering if others are better for "younger empty nest" types?

Assume a combined income of about $200K with some debt. Manhattan and SF are too rich for us, but I'd think anywhere else could work. We'd be looking for a condo in a good 'hood, 2BR, 1300-1500 square feet.

I appreciate any thoughts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 09:57 PM

613 posts, read 977,188 times
I've seen many younger empty nesters in Seattle when I lived there. You might really enjoy it.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:48 PM

6,308 posts, read 6,960,359 times
To me it's strange that you might be concerned that Chicago's urban lifestyle might not be designed for young empty-nesters. I guess for a city with amenities of that level, I feel this should never be an issue. In certain neighborhoods sure, but not the city at large.

So is there something else that is making you wonder what could be better than Chicago? Any other factors you are considering? I would consider all the usual suspects that are cheaper than NYC/SF...ie, Philly for sure, Boston and DC perhaps a bit cheaper than the others but maybe also skewing a bit younger as well (again...plenty of neighborhoods that would be suitable). In other ways I like LA, Seattle, MSP and Baltimore. Even Atlanta and Miami could fit. But really there's no reason to me that Chicago isnt the best option...

Old 04-05-2017, 07:52 AM

988 posts, read 592,610 times
Yes, Chicago may very well be the best option. We've spent a LOT of time out and about here, even in our 40s. It's a great city for that. My only hesitation is that the neighborhoods we seem to like the most are very dominated by those under 35. I've asked this question before just focusing on Chicago, and people usually come up with other neighborhoods that are "older" that aren't as appealing to us.

Wondering if any city has more of a mix of ages in the "cooler" spots, if that makes sense. Where it's very common to see people in their 40s and 50s at the bars/restaurants/bakeries, etc.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:08 AM

3,952 posts, read 3,485,687 times
Can you give some criteria for a city you would move to? It's hard to tell what you'd consider based on your posts, outside of getting the feeling that you're looking for a Chicago-esque equivalent, which gives you like maybe 6 choices.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:24 AM

12,414 posts, read 11,910,584 times
I don't think it's so much a matter of picking the right city as it is picking the right neighborhood. Every city has neighborhoods that empty nesters would be comfortable in. Basically look for the neighborhoods which passed out of the gentrification stage many decades in the past. A lot of the original set who moved in during the 70s/80s/90s will have aged in place, resulting in a pretty "grown up" neighborhood with residents of all ages. These neighborhoods won't be cheap, but you should fit right in.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:32 AM

13,237 posts, read 24,403,441 times
Denver has some neighborhoods that would fit.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:39 AM

992 posts, read 576,934 times
Los Angeles, Denver, Portland, Seattle, San Francisco.

Old 04-05-2017, 01:51 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,824,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Wondering if any city has more of a mix of ages in the "cooler" spots, if that makes sense. Where it's very common to see people in their 40s and 50s at the bars/restaurants/bakeries, etc.
We are finding a gap in singles and couples aged between 30-60 in Pittsburgh. We have narrowed the disappearance down to those who moved South never to return and generations that waited to have kids later in life. You may want to consider moving to the South or West like everyone else or settle for what it is and live in a Northern city.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:12 PM

12,414 posts, read 11,910,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
We are finding a gap in singles and couples aged between 30-60 in Pittsburgh. We have narrowed the disappearance down to those who moved South never to return and generations that waited to have kids later in life. You may want to consider moving to the South or West like everyone else or settle for what it is and live in a Northern city.
That's really not true, as we discussed on the Pittsburgh forum. Certainly on the neighborhood level there are plenty of neighborhoods where there are more older residents than 20somethings, like the Cultural District, Allegheny West, the Mexican War Streets, or parts of Squirrel Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or