U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 02:30 PM

4,180 posts, read 13,061,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
Those pictures of Baltimore were awesome! Looks so nice! If there wasn't so much crime i'd move there in a heartbeat. One side of my family is from Maryland dating back to the days of George Washington and would love to be a part of it, but the crime keeps me away. Someone go beat all the bad guys up! ;D

Baltimore has many neighborhoods to choose from where the threat of crime is not a anymore a factor than any other city. I walk Baltimore daily and have never had a problem with crime. I am just careful what neighborhoods I choose to walk in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 01:29 PM

2,359 posts, read 8,193,423 times
Syracuse, NY

-Located at the intersection of two interstates I-90 and I-81

-Located between the Adirondacks, the Finger Lakes Wine Country, Lake Ontario and the Catskills

-Abundant freshwater supply from Lake Ontario, Skaneateles Lake and Otisco Lake

-Four Ski Resorts just a half hour to the south, numerous snowmobiling trails a half hour to the north. Lack of snow is almost never a problem in the winter.

-Hilly terrain, flat terrain, farms, wineries, orchards, waterfalls, State Parks, beaches, forests and seven lakes are all within a 45 minute drive

-30 annual festivals and events, a Symphony, a Opera, Performing Arts Center, a couple art Museums, a very large regional mall, a decent sized "International" Airport

-Good suburban school districts, safe suburbs, low traffic

-A inner harbor that has a lot of potential, a lakefront with a lot of potential,

-Ottawa and Montreal are less than 5 hours to the north, Boston and NYC are less than 6 hours to the southeast, Toronto and Cleveland are less than 6 hours to the west, Philly and DC are less than 6 hours to the south.

What does it lack?

-Sunny warm weather from November to April...winter is almost as cold as Montreal and almost as much snow as Quebec City and almost as cloudy as Ottawa

-Good paying jobs

-An attractive skyline

-Modern, new, beautiful buildings that would make the city look less depressing. The city looks like its stuck in the 1970s...lots of gray, brown, white and red brick buildings.

-Low Property Taxes. Taxes are high mostly due to the State of New York's Medicaid program

Old 03-15-2008, 06:50 PM

30,237 posts, read 67,413,573 times
Scranton, Pennsylvania

STRENGTHS
  • Location: We're two hours or so from both New York City and Philadelphia and are located in the foothills of the Pocono Mountains. We're situated along I-81, I-380, I-476, I-84, and very near to I-80. We have a growing international airport. There could potentially be a commuter train linking Scranton to Hoboken, NJ (PATH transfer to Manhattan) as soon as 2015. You truly can't beat our location.
  • Quality-of-Life: I like to say that Greater Scranton (pop. 550,000) has all of the amenities of a much larger metropolitan region wrapped up into a more intimate and more affordable package. You can enjoy the NEPA Philharmonic, off-Broadway shows, many universities and colleges for lectures, seminars, theatrical productions, etc., art galleries, parks, etc. We're located very near to prime skiing (there's actually even a ski resort within the city limits called Sno Mountain), white-water rafting, hiking, mountain biking, etc.
  • Cost-of-Living: Want a 7-room, 3-bedroom, 1.5-bath, 1,500-square foot home on a 50' x 150' lot with an off-street parking spot and an above-ground pool in a walkable neighborhood? Be prepared to pay only about $120,000, on average, with annual property taxes of perhaps $2,000. Even though our salaries may be relatively-low, our housing prices have made us the nation's fourth-most affordable housing market.
  • Safety: Violent crime in Scranton is rare, especially the "random" variety. I feel perfectly safe even walking through the "sketchy" parts of town, and I plan to photograph them soon as part of a new blight-oriented urban photo tour later this year. I never feel uneasy in our area.

WEAKNESSES
  • Perception: I've never seen a city that believes in itself less than Scranton does. Whenever ANY positive tidbit is announced, whether it be new loft housing, new urban forestry initiatives, a new medical college, "The Office," new film office, etc., these positives are met with a sea of complaints and gripes. The more and more Scrantonians belittle their own hometown, the less likely it will be for others to see its potential as well.
  • Intolerance: This area is overwhelmingly Caucasian, Roman Catholic, and heterosexual, and those of us who are non-Catholic, non-white, or non-straight (or heaven forbid all three!) feel the sting of intolerance. As an openly-gay male I blame the mental health issues I have today upon traumatic experiences I endured locally when I "came out." It's hard to believe that a city just 45 minutes from NY or NJ, two liberal states, is still in the Archie Bunker days. I had to endure an unsavory conversation at work recently when my co-workers were implying that Heath Ledger "must have died of AIDS because all gays should die of AIDS." People around here don't exactly win any awards for being intelligent.
  • Lack of Education: Building upon that last sentence, people around here avoid college like the plague, and the ones who DO further their educations generally move deeper into the BosWash Corridor to further themselves professionally. Scrantonians hold a deep grudge against the University of Scranton, and the upcoming Commonwealth Medical College is likewise facing resentment. People still think they can graduate from high school and land a relatively high-paying job with great benefits at a major manufacturer. Those days are over, but that "entitlement" mindset that a high school diploma guarantees one a high-paying job remains. Most in my city who complain about the poor job market don't possess the necessary skills or degrees to match employers' expectations and then inevitably blame the CITY for it.
  • Aging Infrastructure: Take one look at the suspension of my sedan, and you'll realize you're in pothole-infested Northeastern Pennsylvania, where numerous bridges have a rating of 2 out of 100 for structural integrity! I-81 is still only four lanes, even though projected traffic estimates indicate that it should be six or even eight lanes. Rush-hour snarls are now commonplace in various choke points.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:15 PM

784 posts, read 2,051,879 times
Pittsburgh, PA

Old 11-10-2008, 04:26 PM

1,680 posts, read 3,189,074 times
Cleveland, although the city is improving somewhat.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:37 PM

414 posts, read 640,068 times
Philadelphia, no question. Plenty of business here and many more that WANT to be here, but our tax code dates from the stone age.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:48 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,458,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Village Idiot View Post
Which city do you think has the most potential, yet consistently fails to reach it? Perhaps it's located in a beautiful setting that has been overly developed or too heavily industrialized. Perhaps it has an underutilized waterfront, or great older buildings that have been replaced by character-less modern structures.

Which city does less with more and why?
Los Angeles and to a certain extent San Diego. I just think with the climate and natural setting the cities could be a lot better. There is a lot of auto-oriented development in Southern CA despite it having an ideal climate for people to be outside walking around. LA has a ton of indoor malls despite having one of the most pleasant climates around. I just wish SoCal had denser, more walkable neighborhoods and areas that were really urban like SF or Chicago to take advantage of the amazing climate.

A lot of people mention rustbelt cities on these types of threads but those cities many times had already reached their potential back when they were booming and have fallen since. While LA is a much younger city and has yet to realize its full potential IMO.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:36 PM

3,133 posts, read 8,342,706 times
Cleveland and Erie

Old 11-10-2008, 08:21 PM

2,368 posts, read 6,836,107 times
I think Cleveland does the least with the most potential. Being right by Lake Erie they should definetly have a better lakefront area then they do.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:42 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,334,251 times
I wouldn't say baltimroe does the least with its potential at all. Its got TONS of potential, and many areas of the city aren't getting any recognition for its potential, but others, its like WOAH is that [insert Baltimore neighborhood]? I mean up until the 70s, the harbor was abandoned, doesn't that something as in that's the main thing in the city today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or