U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 12:49 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,769,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
I wonder when this move towards the cities and suburbs will reach critical mass and people will give up and start to return to smaller towns in greater numbers. Who knows? Maybe it's already happening with all the new technologies enabling people to work from home virtually anywhere.
People will never move from cities, the trend has 2500 years behind it. The question is this -- will be begin to build cities in a fashion that will make them solvent again? Do we continue to try to build our way out of congestion with more freeways, or make more sensible decisions. Do we continue to seperate land uses, or create mixed-use areas (the latter being more similar to the model of most small towns). The debate is not an anti-sprawl one, but it is about designing all development better so that it is more conducive to both our lives and the greater good. Small towns are just that -- small. 80% of America lives in a major urban area. That should tell us where we need to focus most of our efforts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 01:18 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,510,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNI View Post
Richmond, VA.
Norfolk, VA.
Virginia Beach, VA.
No Virginia city will EVER be able to capitalize on its potential with VA's insane laws prohibiting cities from annexation.
The state is run by suburban and rural legislators who are intent on killing urban areas.
Any of the above cities should be a MAJOR player between D.C. and Charlotte/Atlanta.
Especially Richmond. It is on I-95. Has a sizable # (for its size) of fortune 500 companies based there, it is a Federal Reserve city (arguably the most underachieving Fed Reserve city), has a basically undeveloped and underutilized riverfront...I could go on.
Not saying it's all bad. Just a high degree of potential being squandered in VA cities.
I agree with this. Having lived in two of these and having a sister that lives in the other, they all have great potential, but fail to capitalize

Old 12-08-2008, 09:38 AM

4,114 posts, read 9,258,543 times
Cincinnati is really beginning to realize its potential and use it. The effects are contagious and the redevelopment efforts of neighborhoods and downtown are snowballing. But five years ago it might have been my TOP pick for this list.

The ultimate example I can think of is Detroit.

Others include Philadelphia, Baltimore, Birmingham, and Louisville.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:55 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,349,521 times
Philly, Baltimore, And Louisville (and probably Bham, but ive never been or follow that city), are defienntly realizing their potential. There's no way they could be contenders for doing the least with potential (philly and Baltimore i can speak for, but louisville is just my impression from when i was there because it seemed like a lot of restoration going on)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or