Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 11:04 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,182,897 times

Advertisements

I agree with Chitownwarrior, St. Louis and Baltimore are probably the most urban cities for their size and are definitely have potential to be on the next tier of cities with proper leadership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 01:13 PM

694 posts, read 2,652,056 times
Quote:
Are you kidding? Portland (I assume you are talking about the one in OR) is beautiful, vibrant, safe, clean, gorgeous setting, economically thriving, great transporatation system, progressive leadership, beautiful public and private spaces and an excellent mix of old and new architecture.

What do you see as Portlan'd's true potential, danco, and how are they missing the mark?

As I said is it wrong that it is not being overdeveloped ?
Although west of the city is getting very cookie cutter.
All metros could be safer though. Portland has it's share of tweakers/
homeless, and gangs in Gresham. The rail is a little iffy at night.
All things considered Portland is a nice size city. ( more livable than Seattle )

Old 03-11-2008, 01:17 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I think it looks horrendous!
That thing has got to be one of the most atrocious residential structures in the world.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:38 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,453,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Baltimore: One of the truly underrated cities in this country. Love the pictures, I could see myself living there.

This thing needs to go though, what a monstrosity. I am surprised this thing got the green light:

Architecturally, it's like 1930's art-deco meets 2000's suburban development. In a BAD way.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:09 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,947,562 times
Those pictures of Baltimore were awesome! Looks so nice! If there wasn't so much crime i'd move there in a heartbeat. One side of my family is from Maryland dating back to the days of George Washington and would love to be a part of it, but the crime keeps me away. Someone go beat all the bad guys up! ;D

Old 03-11-2008, 02:35 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Atlantic City, NJ. Could easily be Vegas at the beach, but they can't get out of their own way. It's SLOWLY turning around, but I don't expect any miracles in my lifetime. It's a shame.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:02 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,961,017 times
I think Charleston, SC should have a lot of potential, it's located right next to the ocean easy access to I-95, and a nice climate(not for me, LOL),for most people.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:22 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
El Paso, TX. It could be a gem in the Desert SouthWest, but due to poor leadership, and being a sanctuary city, its is not living up to its potential.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:23 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
The City of Atlanta.
Geographically, one of the best situated cities I know of. Mountains, a couple of hours away. The beach (east coast/ gulf), a half days drive. A truely international city with the busiest airport in the nation. But the government that has run, or is running this city fail time and time again. The mis-appropriation of funds and under-the-table politicing will forever black-eye the Phoenix of the South.
Not to mention the sorry sports franchiases (except the Braves).

But from all the articles that I have read over the past few years (not from the C-D), I would have to agree with a lot of the other posters- St. Louis and Baltimore are definitely at the top of the list.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:28 PM

36 posts, read 124,510 times
Galveston, TX

They have come A LONG way since I moved to TX 10 years ago,and I think that the
booming cruise ship activity helps. I think that it is now becoming a "hot spot" but still
seems a little less than what it should be.

Galveston still seems to be Houston's little secret and I'm sure a lot of people like it that way. Personally I would like to see Galveston as a national destination and I think it
really has the potential to become such. Maybe if they legalize gambling...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.