U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 07:43 PM

5 posts, read 1,977 times

Advertisements

So I'm relocating to work in the southeast, traveling to visit clients in FL, AL, GA, SC, TN, NC, KY, and VA. Only requirement is that I live in the territory, but I'd like to minimize travel time somewhat. Meaning ideally a city that allows me to drive a good portion of the territory, and has access to a good regional airport for getting to the rest.

I'd prefer to live outside a major city. My wife and I are into gardening/landscaping projects so we're looking for a half acre to an acre to play with. Still want to be in a neighborhood though so kids have friends nearby. Schools matter, but we're not rich. I'm not looking for the cheapest either, maybe the best overall value for a large family.

Atlanta suburbs seem like an obvious choice. I was looking at the Conyers/Covington, GA, area for instance, but I know nothing about it. It looks suspiciously low-priced! Other southeastern cities to check out or to avoid? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 08:02 PM

5,718 posts, read 8,785,833 times
Greenville SC is extremely well located for driving but may be too small for you.

How much do you expect to drive vs flying.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:03 PM

Thanks, I've seen Greenville mentioned before on "best cities" lists for various things so I'm interested. Housing looks relatively expensive though. I'd certainly drive everything you can reach in 3-4 hours by car. Any experience with the Greenville airport? I'm noticing there aren't direct flights from GSP to Orlando or Louisville or Birmingham, for instance.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:13 PM

6,324 posts, read 6,992,048 times
Atlanta and Charlotte make the most sense, giving you a good radius within driving range and also being airline hubs for those areas farther out. I'd imagine they both have plenty of good value towns nearby, though I wouldnt know about the school quality.

Jacksonville is another option, good place to raise a family and in both Clay County and Nassau you can find acreage for low prices with good schools. St Johns County is the best school district in the state and may work as well but it is relatively more expensive. Check out Green Cove Springs, Fleming Island, Julington Creek and Yulee. The latter would put you a bit closer to the airport. Primary issue with Jax as I see it is the difficulty in getting to KY, western TN and Virginia. There are direct flights to Nashville, DC and Cincy, but then you'd still have to drive a few hours to get to parts of your territory. Allegiant had service to Memphis and Richmond as well, but those routes seem to have been pulled (even though they still advertise them)

Old 04-07-2017, 07:07 AM

21,228 posts, read 30,461,228 times
Check out the SC suburbs outside of Charlotte. The Clover SC area has one of the best school districts in SC (#5) and new build construction homes on larger lots for well under 200K. https://www.niche.com/k12/d/clover-school-district-sc/ The area is a pretty easy 30 minute drive to the Charlotte airport. Also the Ft Mill, SC area has top-rated schools (#2 in SC) and is 20 minutes from the airport. Home prices are higher however not excessive with desirable newer builds in the 225K range and generally closer/more convenient to amenities than Clover which is still largely undeveloped. https://www.niche.com/k12/d/fort-mil...l-district-sc/

Old 04-07-2017, 07:16 AM

4,888 posts, read 3,007,868 times
that is a huge patch. Would being next to a major airport help (Atlanta).

Old 04-07-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Jacksonville is another option, good place to raise a family and in both Clay County and Nassau you can find acreage for low prices with good schools.
I see what you mean. I'm surprised Jacksonville is that affordable, but being 5 hours from Atlanta probably makes this a no go. Hoping to hit more of this territory by car.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:31 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,293,371 times
Atlanta and Charlotte would seem to make a lot of sense. Both are fairly central to the states you mentioned, big cities with nice suburbs and top 10 airports (Atlanta obviously #1). Since your territory goes all the way up to VA and KY you could also look at Raleigh and Nashville which would both be driveable to a lot of the areas and each has a decent airport.

Greenville is nice but the airport is a bit small. You could also consider Richmond and Louisville, but you are getting pretty far towards the northern end of your territory with those two.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:59 PM

29,962 posts, read 27,470,347 times
Another vote for Atlanta (1st option) and Charlotte (2nd option).

Old 04-07-2017, 01:04 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,838,544 times
I think that Charlotte is going to be best bet for being centrally located to the entire region. Your biggest challenge with Charlotte (and Atlanta for that matter) is traveling to the southern half of Florida. Columbia, SC might work as well but it's a smaller city with a smaller airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or