U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2017, 02:30 PM

2 posts, read 1,458 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Moving soon and been looking for a place to live with a few qualities.

The major ones are:
- Mild, warm/cool weather. Not really hot/really cold (e.g., not 100+ degrees or lots of snow)
- Green climate, not an arid/high desert/yellowish brown area
- Rent around or less than $1k
- Has a river or other nearby body of water

Additional qualities would be having good biking or hiking areas with outdoorsy stuff and having a panda express and a natural history museum.

I live somewhere that's the opposite of this and I am craving a change! I had been thinking Eugene, OR but I want to scope out other areas.

Anybody have any suggestions? Even if they are not exact, I would love to hear them. Am I being unrealistic? Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 03:01 PM

21,197 posts, read 30,388,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytheropod View Post
Hi all,

Moving soon and been looking for a place to live with a few qualities.

The major ones are:
- Mild, warm/cool weather. Not really hot/really cold (e.g., not 100+ degrees or lots of snow)
- Green climate, not an arid/high desert/yellowish brown area
- Rent around or less than $1k
- Has a river or other nearby body of water

Additional qualities would be having good biking or hiking areas with outdoorsy stuff and having a panda express and a natural history museum.

I live somewhere that's the opposite of this and I am craving a change! I had been thinking Eugene, OR but I want to scope out other areas.

Anybody have any suggestions? Even if they are not exact, I would love to hear them. Am I being unrealistic? Thank you!!

If you can do without the natural history museum I would recommend Charlottesville VA which offers the green climate and topography minus the frequent loss of sunshine. https://www.visitcharlottesville.org/

Old 04-08-2017, 12:58 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,390,242 times
I dunno about rent as it seems expensive, but sounds like Portland. Or maybe you can try Salem, Oregon or a surrounding town. Weather fits it to a T. Warm summers, cool winters, very lush and green.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:38 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,072,738 times
Northern CA, Western WA and Western OR would all likely work, though $1k rent is getting harder and harder to find. On the total other end of the country, a large part of VA and the Carolinas would likely fit your criteria, close to mountains, not too far from the ocean.

But it would be helpful to have additional information. What kind of culture are you looking for? Are there certain work requirements? Do you need to be near a big city? All those variables can better help with suggestions.

Old 04-08-2017, 05:57 PM

2,549 posts, read 1,641,749 times
Northern California and Pacific Northwest. Try Eureka CA, Astoria, OR or Port Angeles, WA. Jobs may be difficult to find.

Why do you need a Panda express?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or