U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 06:18 PM

75 posts, read 125,349 times

Advertisements

I am looking for suggestions for coastal living on the eastern coast. I currently live in Vermont and am downright miserable here, there are very few jobs, little to nothing to do and I need to get away from the cold weather. I am single, no kids or pets but would like to foster or adopt someday.

Here is the list that I have come up with.

Little to no snow
Walkable, safe area
Art communities
Job opportunities
Things to do/entertainment opportunities
Bonus - great thunderstorms
Affordable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 08:55 PM

2,414 posts, read 2,424,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingforgreatweather View Post
I am looking for suggestions for coastal living on the eastern coast. I currently live in Vermont and am downright miserable here, there are very few jobs, little to nothing to do and I need to get away from the cold weather. I am single, no kids or pets but would like to foster or adopt someday.

Little to no snow
Walkable, safe area
Art communities
Job opportunities
Affordable
"Affordable" compared to what or to where? Useful suggestions can't be provided if it isn't known how you usually bring in living monies or expect or hope to bring in livng monies, what your other financial assets are to sustain you with or without regular predictable income coming in, and what your employable useful skills are to qualify you for particular positions. Or whether you instead have tended to live a rather transient-like life (getting by somehow from day-to-day, week-to-week, and month-to-month however you can). Or if you are open to sharing your living abode with whatever number of roommates or housemates wherever you'd relocate to.

About that last point mentioned above: Anyplace at all (even New York City or Beverly Hills or Boston or Palm Springs or any other high-cost locale) can be "affordable" for anyone, relatively speaking, if one is willing to share one's living arrangement with whatever number of roommates or housemates (and, of course, the more persons one splits expenses with, the less costly it is for all involved).

So what are the answers to the above questions so that anyone here can offer useful suggestions? It might also help to know: (1) if you are male or female, (2) what age generation you are now (e.g., young adult, middle-aged, senior), and (3) what your post-secondary education or training has been in (if any pursued at all) or if you plan to pursue some type of post-secondary education or training (then we can know what type of job positions you might viably qualify for). And what type(s) of "things to do / entertainment opportunities" you are looking to partake of and be reasonably proximate to (though you did mention "art communities"). And if you own an automobile of whatever type or realistically expect or hope to wherever you'd be relocating to.

Last edited by UsAll; 04-07-2017 at 10:24 PM..

Old 04-08-2017, 06:13 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,366,193 times
Quote:

Little to no snow
Walkable, safe area
Art communities
Job opportunities
Affordable
Check out Jacksonville FL suburbs like Jacksonville Beach and Ponte Vedra Beach which feature fairly walkable core neighborhoods (Walk Scores in the 60s and 70s) along with easy access to the booming Jacksonville job market. It's generally an affordable area for most and like many beach towns has a respectable arts community.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:21 AM

1,427 posts, read 2,570,244 times
My cousin recently moved from the Harrisburg, PA area to Lake Worth, FL. She loves Lake Worth, and her home was surprisingly affordable. It's her (mid 50s) and her father (80+) living together. Of course insurance can be pricy near the coast, but that's a cost of doing business.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:21 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,969,122 times
Jacksonville's perk is "affordable coastal living" for a large city. Jax Beach up through Neptune Beach is fairly walkable and artsy. No snow and pretty good thunderstorms. Pretty much hits on all your desires

Old 04-08-2017, 01:31 PM

3,254 posts, read 1,633,014 times
Have you looked into Tampa Bay by chance?

I was in Tampa Bay and I really thought it was a very nice metro area.

No snow.
It is very artsy also. Lots of arts-filled beach towns along the Gulf Coast
Very good job growth depending on the area.
Lots of rain and thunderstorms.

It is also relatively affordable. I was looking up some listings and it seems like Tampa, Clearwater and St. Petersburg have some very affordable rentals.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:01 PM

23,072 posts, read 35,028,118 times
Quote:

Little to no snow
Walkable, safe area
Art communities
Job opportunities
Affordable
We just bought an historic home in an older, Victorian neighborhood in Brunswick that we are renovating. I can get downtown in 5 minutes (there's only a Catholic school and church between me and Main Street). The downtown area is in gentrification mode, but there are still some phenomenal deals to be had on vintage Victorians. Can you imagine what this house would fetch in a coastal town in the Northeast, or Savannah or Charleston for that matter?

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...53_rect/14_zm/

It checks off about everything on your list, as it is about 6 miles from the beach communities of St. Simons and Jekyll Islands. Between the three, there's always a festival, exhibition or a theater production going on.

Oh, and we got you covered for thunderstorms. Had a doozy night before last.

http://royaltyautoservice.com/wp-con...unswick-ga.jpg

http://www.brunswickga.org/

Old 04-08-2017, 10:22 PM

11,884 posts, read 10,385,743 times
Wilmington, NC

Old 04-09-2017, 01:35 AM

75 posts, read 125,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Wilmington, NC
I have been strongly considering Wilmington.

Old 04-11-2017, 03:07 PM

252 posts, read 394,210 times
Artsy + No Snow + Coastal Living = Desirable
The factor of which further more means usually ridiculously expensive real estate prices and super crowdedness ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.