U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 11:27 PM

29,905 posts, read 27,345,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Virginia is like this too. A lot of Virginia including Richmond is definitely Southern and it was the capital of the Confederacy. However Northern Virginia does not feel Southern at all. But its unlike the Northern Panhandle of West Virginia which was never Southern. I believe NOVA used to be Southern but the culture has been transformed by Northern transplants and illegal immigrants.
IMO, you have to distinguish between inner NoVA (Arlington, Alexandria, Tyson's Corner, etc.) and outer NoVA (Dumfries, Garrisonville, Stafford, etc.). Inner NoVA doesn't really feel Northern to me, just suburban Americana. I think outer NoVA is more exurban Americana with Southern undertones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 11:35 PM

7,820 posts, read 12,324,125 times
The Southernness of Northern Virginia has always been interesting to me since it USED TO be Southern, at least in the closer in suburbs by Washington DC.

I'm still not sure I would totally classify it as part of the Northeast though. Maybe its more similar to some parts of the Raleigh and Charlotte suburbs that are dominated by transplants and foreigners.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:16 AM

44,713 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I find it fascinating that you can speak so matter-of-factly about this when WV is essentially like TX--a border state with a mix of regional cultures.
Except that Texas was actually part of the Confederacy, while WV was not. And generally speaking, with few exceptions, those states that were part of the Confederacy are considered "the South."

I would also be the first to tell you that East Texas has a much more "southern" vibe than the rest of the state.

I love being fascinating - thanks!

Old 04-16-2017, 08:20 AM

29,905 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Except that Texas was actually part of the Confederacy, while WV was not. And generally speaking, with few exceptions, those states that were part of the Confederacy are considered "the South."
Texas would probably be one of those exceptions. How many discussions have been had here as to whether states like Texas and Florida truly belong in the cultural South today???

Also KY didn't secede and it is generally considered more Southern than TX.

Quote:
I would also be the first to tell you that East Texas has a much more "southern" vibe than the rest of the state.
Same goes for southern WV. Again, parts of each state are more Southern than the rest and neither are considered 100% culturally Southern.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:57 AM

4,853 posts, read 2,978,355 times
Call a West Virginia citizen a yankee and see what they say

Old 04-16-2017, 01:09 PM

44,713 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Texas would probably be one of those exceptions. How many discussions have been had here as to whether states like Texas and Florida truly belong in the cultural South today???

Also KY didn't secede and it is generally considered more Southern than TX.

I've actually never before heard anyone say they thought Kentucky was more southern than Texas but I guess there's a first time for everything.

Old 04-16-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Call a West Virginia citizen a yankee and see what they say
Yes at least in the southern half of the state people would NOT like that. In fact my pastor sometimes refers to "Yankees" though thats more about the Northeast than the Midwest since we border Ohio and the parts of Ohio that border WV are very similar to us. People in northern WV do consider themselves northern and they are the ones who engineered statehood against the wishes of people in most of the counties. Most people in present day Charleston for example wanted to stay with the South. Back then Wheeling was the capital and the center of business and it was and still is an extension of Pittsburgh. They didn't want to lose their business connections to Pennsylvania.

Today the Northern Panhandle is the most different part of the state in terms of accents, foods, etc. And some of them especially in the narrowest points above Wheeling (where the state is 5 miles wide) are embarassed to call themselves West Virginians. The Eastern Panhandle has a lot of transplants from the Baltimore and DC areas and some commute to Metro DC, but these are the atypical people from those areas who came seeking rural living and more traditional values so their values and lifestyles are not as alien as those in the far north.

Old 04-16-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I've actually never before heard anyone say they thought Kentucky was more southern than Texas but I guess there's a first time for everything.
I only consider East Texas to be in the South. The Southerness of the Panhandle, South Texas, and particularly West Texas is questionable. There is no way El Paso is a Southern city. Dallas is so international and has so many transplants and immigrants it feels like a city that could be anywhere. Fort Worth felt more western than southern when I was there.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:22 PM

992 posts, read 577,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I only consider East Texas to be in the South. The Southerness of the Panhandle, South Texas, and particularly West Texas is questionable. There is no way El Paso is a Southern city. Dallas is so international and has so many transplants and immigrants it feels like a city that could be anywhere. Fort Worth felt more western than southern when I was there.
I agree, but the vast majority of Texas is in San Antonio, Austin, DFW, and Houston, which are southern. Therefore, the state can be considered generally Southern. And Fort Worth is NOT western. El Paso is, I guess.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:35 PM

920 posts, read 1,015,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
New Orleans is definitely southern, it just has unique aspects. But unique aspects don't remove a city or area from a general culture by themselves. The delta region and Tennessee Appalachia are very different, but they're still southern. I don't see why SE Louisiana is any different.

However, Miami/S. Florida isn't "southern." They belong in a separate Carribean island nation.
The majority of white Southerners are Protestant and the majority of white New Orleanians are Catholic.
The majority of white Southerners are of Anglo stock and the majority of white New Orleanians are not of Anglo stock.
The accent of a typical white New Orleanian is probably more similar to that of a white New Yorker than a white Southerners.
New Orleans' Afro-Caribbean influence predates Miami's by more than a century.

Last edited by Aceter; 04-16-2017 at 09:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or