U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 05:18 AM

4,206 posts, read 2,823,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Virginia is like this too. A lot of Virginia including Richmond is definitely Southern and it was the capital of the Confederacy.
Just asking for clarity: being the Capital of the Confederacy, which came to an end 152 years ago; and only lasted for four years of an otherwise long city and state history; a Confederacy of which Virginia was one of the final states to even join; of which there is plenty of documented Unionists and Union loyalties; and a move to Richmond as Capital had everything to do with location and less to do with Richmond or Virginia being so staunchly, arrogantly anti-Union and/or pro-Confederacy as other Confederate states...

Being the Capital of the Confederacy is your baseline for calling Richmond and Virginia southern, today?

There are plenty of traits to point towards Virginia being southern. Less so for Richmond City, although there is still enough to give a convincing argument. The CSA period accounted for four years of Richmond's long history, yet some of you choose to define the city by it. Richmond was incorporated as a city 119 years before the Civil War even started. European exploration of Richmond dates to 254 years before the Civil War, and has been inhabited by Europeans since 1609. The city and parts of the state have long had cultural ties to northern locations, well before the Civil War...

But most importantly, there has been 152 years of history since the war. The "capital" period was a 4-year window of a city that has been in European (re:American) existence for over 400 years. Nobody from or living in Virginia, and nobody whose spent significant time within Richmond, defines this city by that 4-year period....

Newsflash: if the United States was settled in it's current form 240 years ago, encompassing all states and territories, Virginia, and certainly Richmond, would not even be considered southern. Virginia is considered southern because it is a founding state of this nation at a time that this nation was so drastically smaller...

The gotdamn war ended 152 years ago. Some of you guys need to let it go...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 07:56 AM

44,651 posts, read 36,106,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I only consider East Texas to be in the South. The Southerness of the Panhandle, South Texas, and particularly West Texas is questionable. There is no way El Paso is a Southern city. Dallas is so international and has so many transplants and immigrants it feels like a city that could be anywhere. Fort Worth felt more western than southern when I was there.
I agree. That being said, Texas - the entire state - was part of the confederacy.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:26 AM

6,795 posts, read 11,763,458 times
Vancouver, WA. A moderately conservative city in a very liberal region: Greater Portland (though it's not extremely conservative, probably similar to Orange County, CA or Fort Worth, TX.) You'll know you're there when you cross the bridge and suddenly see a lot of pickup trucks. It feels more like a city in Texas or Wyoming than one in the Pacific Northwest.

I guess it's kinda understandable since it's one of the best "tax havens" in the US, with WA having no state income tax and OR nearby having no sales tax.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:41 AM

4,843 posts, read 2,973,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Vancouver, WA. A moderately conservative city in a very liberal region: Greater Portland (though it's not extremely conservative, probably similar to Orange County, CA or Fort Worth, TX.) You'll know you're there when you cross the bridge and suddenly see a lot of pickup trucks. It feels more like a city in Texas or Wyoming than one in the Pacific Northwest.

I guess it's kinda understandable since it's one of the best "tax havens" in the US, with WA having no state income tax and OR nearby having no sales tax.
Misread this. I thought you wrote Vancouver, CA.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:59 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,136,931 times
When you think of the "California" lifestyle, some of the cities in CA are pretty trashy and backwards that don't really fit the mold: Like Fresno and Bakersfield for example.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:00 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,160,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
When you think of the "California" lifestyle, some of the cities in CA are pretty trashy and backwards that don't really fit the mold: Like Fresno and Bakersfield for example.
Who thinks of Fresno and Bakersfield when they think of California lol

Old 06-27-2017, 06:21 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,011,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Who thinks of Fresno and Bakersfield when they think of California lol
Actually, I do. I know that California isn't all glam, and that it's one of the top agricultural states in the country. A lot of people don't see past the glitz...some of us do.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:31 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,626,102 times
The South is the largest region and probably the most diverse. Dallas, Miami, and New Orleans are all Southern.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:08 PM

211 posts, read 172,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I agree. I think that New Orleans is deliciously southern to it's very core.

I visited West Virginia a couple of years ago and went to the Greenbrier Resort. Everywhere I looked, there was "southern paraphernalia" but I hate to break it to them - the Greenbrier is not a southern resort and it's not in a southern state. Wannabees! LOL

I think that Springfield, MO feels southern though it's technically not. Same with Oklahoma City.

I think that there's a distinctly southern vibe to some of the cities in Ohio, which definitely surprised me.
Springfield feels like "southern-lite" to me... 25 miles south to Branson is where you get more of richer southern feel. The accents are instantly thicker, the dirt is more red, and the hills/mountains are much more dramatic

Old 06-28-2017, 12:27 PM

211 posts, read 172,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Cleveland? Detroit? Kansas City? Indianapolis? Columbus? Minneapolis? Omaha? ... most of these Midwestern cities are dominated by SFH's. On the flipside, you still have Southern cities like New Orleans, Savannah, Charleston, Birmingham, and Richmond with a gritty, dense inner city.
Midwest cities outside of STL & Cincy may lack the row housing, but are VERY much full of tightly packed brick apartment buildings and dense bungalow housing for days...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or