Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 12:53 PM

218 posts, read 220,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Austin is not like the boswash corridor. A tiny sliver around UT does not make you like DC or Boston. And Dallas lacks thin & educated people? The most pretentious, image conscious city in TX lacks thin people? The plastic surgery capital of Texas? You're right, all of Uptown/Central Dallas, Highland Park, and North Dallas is filled with fatties LMFAO. You're also right that all of the companies that have moved to DFW selected those without a college degree. Tell that to my NYC transplant friends. So clueless.
I get a laugh out of Gaylord_Focker, he is so clueless, yet is so sure of himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 01:12 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,303,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
I have been told over the years by many Texans that Houston is not the " real" Texas. I would say say that most bigger cities do not fit into their respective region (if you ask people who don't live in the cities).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
It's a city built on oil, has a tall skyline. It is very Texan, it's the alpha city of Texas.
It depends on how you look at it. Gaylord lists the tall skyline as one of the reasons the city is "very Texan." Meanwhile, many of the rural folk in the state would exclude it from "real" Texas just for the fact that it even has skyscrapers (or is a large city).

Houston is among the most authentic cities in the state regarding history (only San Antonio and El Paso have more), but the landscape/weather/scenery, out of all the cities in the state, fit least with the common thought of Texas (Houston is set in a lush landscape with high annual rainfall, whereas Texas is often seen as dry).

Old 06-28-2017, 01:28 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Cincinnati has such rugged terrain it is often compared to Pittsburgh. It feels very different from the layout of most Midwestern cities.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:29 PM

218 posts, read 220,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Very southern and that's something to be proud of. to me, it's the jewel of the south. I think of jazz music, sultry summer nights, great food, party atmosphere.
I love how in New Orleans it's "sultry", but in Houston it is just plain unbearably "hot".

Old 06-28-2017, 10:46 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Some more.....

Gary, Indiana - a completely inner-city ghetto while Indiana overall is a rural state
Biloxi, Mississippi
Bakersfield, California

Old 06-29-2017, 08:51 AM

12,839 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdz1979 View Post
I love how in New Orleans it's "sultry", but in Houston it is just plain unbearably "hot".
I wouldn't want to be sitting outside in the afternoon in New Orleans either. If that makes you feel better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.