U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 07:34 PM

5,914 posts, read 6,338,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post

Anyways, some other cities that seem to be out of place for their region to me might be Pittsburgh and Cincinnati.
True dat. Once you leave the Cincinnati area (the I-275 loop) the culture changes big time depending on the state. I could write a book about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 09:34 AM

16 posts, read 10,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I can see someone saying that about Chicago but I am curious about Ann Arbor. All I know about the city is that is a big college town (or I think it is anyway).
Ann Arbor has a lot of transplants from the NYC area (mostly college students). Still, I don't think that it feels very Northeastern to me. Maybe a commuter rail line to Detroit would enhance that.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:36 AM

1,004 posts, read 604,353 times
Memphis for Tennessee (West TN is more Deep South while the rest of the state is Upland South). Or St. Louis for Missouri

Last edited by JMT; 04-15-2017 at 05:37 AM..

Old 04-11-2017, 09:38 AM

16 posts, read 10,655 times
It's been alluded to in other posts, but I feel the SF and the Bay Area in general feel more Northeastern than Western, mainly due to density and public transit.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:45 AM

221 posts, read 132,082 times
Austin in TX.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:58 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,629,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I hate the idea that any city thats "progressive" isn't "REALLY the South" because God forbid that the South is anything more than racist rednecks toting guns and waving rebel flags. I don't think New Orleans "doesn't fit" in the South. New Orleans is VERY unique and distinct, but it wouldn't fit ANYWHERE besides the South. Nowhere in the country do you have that cultural and historic blend of French, Spanish and African among other cultures, besides the South. Nowhere do you get that same sultry year round warm weather, than in the South. Nowhere do you get those live oaks with massive mossy branches forming beautiful canopies in the city, than in the South. New Orleans is one of the flagship cities of the South.

Cities that fall in this category are more places like Louisville, which is literally on the border with a northern state. Or Cincinatti which is like the reverse. St. Louis is still solidly Midwestern but it seems to have ties to the delta South via the Missisisppi River. It seems like a northern brother of Memphis. I'm planning to go up there next month.

I agree, St. Louis is like Memphis and Chicago had a baby.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:03 PM

4,866 posts, read 2,997,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrienlester View Post
Austin in TX.
And another. Too easy.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:07 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,241,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Put down in what way? That Texans take pride in being bigger and better? Yes, that's uniquely Texas. No other state or city worries about things like that. People in DC don't talk about passing Phoenix in population. They just don't care. They don't brag about # of highway lanes and they don't believe the sunsets are better in their area. No worries about whether or not we're more densely populated than Chicago. It just isn't in our thought process. That stuff is unique to Texans, outside of Austinites, who are anti-growth and could care less about comparing themselves to other cities.

Pride is a good thing and striving to be the best is as well.
Austin is the epitome of Texas pride! Are you for real? I feel like I'm being trolled here. Many there believe they are the best city in America, with the best nightlife, best food, most educated, most fit, most liberal, with the most construction cranes ad nauseum. I've never encountered in real life anyone from Houston bragging about Houston. Half the people in Dallas are from elsewhere. But people in Austin are very damn proud of their precious city. They are infatuated with it. It's like a borderline religious cult. People there are very concerned with what #1 subjective list they appear in. Talking with some of them is like speaking to a Chamber of Commerce rep. How is "Live Music Capital of the World" not arrogant? I'm sorry, but as an outsider not originally from Texas I just don't know where you're coming from.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:35 PM

71 posts, read 55,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
I also have a hard time with Pittsburgh, clearly a Northern city, but is it Northeastern, Midwestern, or something else??
Interior Northeast.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:30 PM

4,866 posts, read 2,997,189 times
Austin doesn't belong in Texas. Dallas or Houston should be the capital. Texan through and theought

Last edited by JMT; 04-15-2017 at 05:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or