Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 08:16 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
The ambient stress level in Denver will be higher than where you are. Cost of living and lifestyle will change as well. If the new job is about the same or higher stress than your current job I'd stay put. Don't be angry or stressed out 24/7. It sounds like you are happy but busy with your current life and work.
Sounds about right. I'd still like to get that city-life in and places like ABQ and Phoenix, and hell, even dare I say Lubbock have the right amount of it for about the same rental prices as I have grown accustomed to. The job I was going for was to initially gain some experience driving those "doubles" sets of trailers that get pulled behind a semi-tractor. I've noticed I've already built up some sort of understanding with the area and company I'm at now. Until I could truly find some other place that will offer things like the same days off I have right now, I'll keep my eyes peeled for openings in the locations that ACTUALLY fit my budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 10:21 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Sounds about right. I'd still like to get that city-life in and places like ABQ and Phoenix, and hell, even dare I say Lubbock have the right amount of it for about the same rental prices as I have grown accustomed to. The job I was going for was to initially gain some experience driving those "doubles" sets of trailers that get pulled behind a semi-tractor. I've noticed I've already built up some sort of understanding with the area and company I'm at now. Until I could truly find some other place that will offer things like the same days off I have right now, I'll keep my eyes peeled for openings in the locations that ACTUALLY fit my budget.
I like Lubbock.I think it is a good town.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:43 AM

I also put in app for driving beer trucks locally and then using it to transfer to ABQ. Everyone's still going to want a nice, tall cool one!!! Yeah, after a raging, few weeks getting busted on the milk circuit, it's slowing back down again for me after one of the drivers finally had their shoulder heal up.

Old 04-16-2017, 10:04 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,357,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I'm leaning more and more towards flaking out on this job I'm still in the process of getting approved for in the Denver area. I was attracted to the area for a little while, mainly after spending a day or so there every week back in 2010/2011. Then I ended up in eastern NM after taking a job out here and while this isn't the most ideal part of the state, I've felt I've grown tolerable enough of it that I could weather the everyday existence of the place with little issue.
I would say the reason I gunned for a job up in Denver over the last, few months was more out of spontaneous, reactionary reasons.
1) My current job was pushing me down the 70-hour plus route/week again and the random start times were kicking me in the teeth.
2) Looking elsewhere for work I was comfortable with and a comparable pay-rate, the Denver area was the only spot that was strong on hiring.
So I put in a couple of apps, got interviewed with one trucking outfit that took a strong interest in me and went with it for a bit. However, after doing research on rent prices and taking a few, recent trips through the area, I've come to realize that any old, good feelings I had about the area were now lost.
Also, apart from trying to make things work out with the current company I drive semis for, I've also decided on taking a paycut with a local beer-hauling gig with more comfortable hours/days-off,. etc

So, would it be right for me to turn down the Denver gig in order to keep the weird, comfort-zone related, peace-of-mind I've all of a sudden developed down here in NM? Steam might be blown, but I feel it might be better for myself to put a halt to this early in the app process as opposed to getting up there, taking the job, then fizzling out due to pressure from new area jitters.

All in all, I've come to realize a few days off and a road-trip will typically set your mind right after a horrible week.

Why It's So Hard to Make a Living in Denver Despite Strong Economy | Westword

Old 04-16-2017, 12:42 PM

They don't mention my field of trucking/transportation in there. But the annual pay kind of fits some of the jobs mentioned in the article. And if educated professionals are having a hard time themselves, then the jumpy earnings nature of my field won't really make anything better.
Then of course there's also the extremely, laid back nature of my current position despite the on-again/off-again workloads. There's work to be done, but they don't seem to jump down my throat too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.