Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 04:59 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times

Advertisements

I'm leaning more and more towards flaking out on this job I'm still in the process of getting approved for in the Denver area. I was attracted to the area for a little while, mainly after spending a day or so there every week back in 2010/2011. Then I ended up in eastern NM after taking a job out here and while this isn't the most ideal part of the state, I've felt I've grown tolerable enough of it that I could weather the everyday existence of the place with little issue.
I would say the reason I gunned for a job up in Denver over the last, few months was more out of spontaneous, reactionary reasons.
1) My current job was pushing me down the 70-hour plus route/week again and the random start times were kicking me in the teeth.
2) Looking elsewhere for work I was comfortable with and a comparable pay-rate, the Denver area was the only spot that was strong on hiring.
So I put in a couple of apps, got interviewed with one trucking outfit that took a strong interest in me and went with it for a bit. However, after doing research on rent prices and taking a few, recent trips through the area, I've come to realize that any old, good feelings I had about the area were now lost.
Also, apart from trying to make things work out with the current company I drive semis for, I've also decided on taking a paycut with a local beer-hauling gig with more comfortable hours/days-off,. etc

So, would it be right for me to turn down the Denver gig in order to keep the weird, comfort-zone related, peace-of-mind I've all of a sudden developed down here in NM? Steam might be blown, but I feel it might be better for myself to put a halt to this early in the app process as opposed to getting up there, taking the job, then fizzling out due to pressure from new area jitters.

All in all, I've come to realize a few days off and a road-trip will typically set your mind right after a horrible week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 09:07 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Hello Bentstrider.Going from Little Texas to Denver would be a big culture shock it seems like.I would just try to work things out with your current company or take a paycut at the local beer hauling job.Denver just would not appeal to me but it could work for you.Only you can make that decision for yourself but I would stay in Little Texas if I were you.I wish you the best of luck,OP.Maybe you just need a change of scenery.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:46 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
I'd stay in NM.

Albuquerque is good.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Hello Bentstrider.Going from Little Texas to Denver would be a big culture shock it seems like.I would just try to work things out with your current company or take a paycut at the local beer hauling job.Denver just would not appeal to me but it could work for you.Only you can make that decision for yourself but I would stay in Little Texas if I were you.I wish you the best of luck,OP.Maybe you just need a change of scenery.
Biggest turn off for me I'd the rent prices and the style of apartments in the area. I'm currently in a one story, duplex kind of setup. All the affordable spots in the Denver metro are all multi-level, "projects" looking places that don't look too clean when viewed up close.
Mountains and such are nice, but when everyone else is moving up there just to be cool, it no longer sounds like a great place. I'm not old by any means, but that youthful energy everyone else seems to have up there isn't too existent in me.
Couple all of this with the fact that this potential, new job has me on off days consisting of Sun-Tues, and I'm back in the loner boat again.
As for change of scenery, I've grown accustomed to flat plains and sandy deserts. The Colorado scenery is all right, but not worth those high prices as far as I'm concerned.
I'll eventually still want to move from where I'm at. But Colorado is definitely off the list. Until perhaps the trendiness has died down, maybe.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
I'd stay in NM.

Albuquerque is good.
Definitely on my "move-to" list. Phoenix and some other, no-winter/winter-light cities as well.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:19 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,384,986 times
You have asked the same question several different times over the last month or so.

May be time to assess whether this is a situational reaction to a few items or if there is something bigger happening in your life.

Denver is not a place to move to on a whim.

Old 04-09-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
You have asked the same question several different times over the last month or so.

May be time to assess whether this is a situational reaction to a few items or if there is something bigger happening in your life.

Denver is not a place to move to on a whim.
It's probably just work-related stress and instead of a move, a vacation or even a scale-back in workdays would solve the "burn-out" issue. The other issue is the fact that I was a bit of a tool and followed some advice offered on a trucking forum as to "Where the line-haul/less-than-truckload driving jobs" were. Fell for the stories of the decent pay and the "cake runs" and thought I could be a man about it and deal with the setbacks. NOPE.
Luckily, I didn't quit my job and I haven't really made an official statements about moving out aside from stress-induced rants and mumbling's. The repeated visits and research to the area have been more than enough to deter me from making the foolish jump as well to the state to the north of mine.

So needless to say, while I still do want to make a move to metro one of these days, I don't know when I'm truly going to be ready to do it. But when that time comes, I want it to be a voluntary one under good circumstances. Not because I got fired again, or some other catastrophic garbage.

As for asking this sort of question everywhere, I'll admit that I'm one of those guys that if I depended on my own decision making skills alone, as opposed to getting feedback from as many people as possible, I'd probably be in worse shape than I am now. Good thing I kicked that law enforcement career pipe-dream to the curb, lol.

Old 04-09-2017, 04:04 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Definitely on my "move-to" list. Phoenix and some other, no-winter/winter-light cities as well.
Albuquerque and Phoenix would be good choices in my opinion.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:40 PM

840 posts, read 759,173 times
Don't move...if you like where you are I'd stay.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:56 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
The ambient stress level in Denver will be higher than where you are. Cost of living and lifestyle will change as well. If the new job is about the same or higher stress than your current job I'd stay put. Don't be angry or stressed out 24/7. It sounds like you are happy but busy with your current life and work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.