U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2017, 04:47 PM

3 posts, read 1,570 times

Advertisements

I am a middle-age single woman who is trying to figure out where might be the best place for me to relocate, in terms of being an HSP (Highly sensitive person), who is single. I have thought that cities in the Northeast US would be good for me because there are a higher percentage of single people there, and they have a lot to offer culturally. Now I'm thinking that some of the bigger cities in the Northeast might be too overwhelming for me just because there are so many people, and a lot of stimulation (noise, traffic, etc). Can anyone give feedback on places they've found that are more tolerable for HSPs, and yet not completely isolating? Have people found places that they can function well with their sensitivities and they aren't the only single person in town? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 10:24 PM

17,662 posts, read 4,058,482 times
What is your budget for housing,OP?Are jobs a factor for you?

Old 04-10-2017, 06:59 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferguskr View Post
I am a middle-age single woman who is trying to figure out where might be the best place for me to relocate, in terms of being an HSP (Highly sensitive person), who is single. I have thought that cities in the Northeast US would be good for me because there are a higher percentage of single people there, and they have a lot to offer culturally. Now I'm thinking that some of the bigger cities in the Northeast might be too overwhelming for me just because there are so many people, and a lot of stimulation (noise, traffic, etc). Can anyone give feedback on places they've found that are more tolerable for HSPs, and yet not completely isolating? Have people found places that they can function well with their sensitivities and they aren't the only single person in town? Thanks!
If you like the Northeast US but don't want the constant "on" switch of a big city I would suggest adjoining satellite cities which while smaller are by no means tiny towns that rely entirely on the neighboring big city. I would recommend cities like Arlington VA or Alexandria VA which are just outside of Washington DC. Both offer a blend of urban and suburban minus the hyper-drive of an urban setting, yet are still plenty active in terms of social and cultural options.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:15 AM

I would like to stay within the $1500 range as far as what I pay in rent or a mortgage payment. I work as an analyst in the healthcare industry, but I have the option to work from home so jobs aren't totally dictating where I move.

Last edited by ferguskr; 04-10-2017 at 08:21 AM.. Reason: add more to comment

Old 04-10-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
I would like to stay within the $1500 range as far as what I pay in rent or a mortgage payment. I work as an analyst in the healthcare industry, but I have the option to work from home so jobs aren't totally dictating where I move.
That's a little low for Arlington and Alexandria so I would suggest the NW side of DC in Rockville MD which is a very desirable area with easy access to the cultural and social amenities of DC via Metro Rail.

Apartments for Rent and Rentals - Free Apartment Finder | ApartmentGuide.com

Old 04-10-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
That's a little low for Arlington and Alexandria so I would suggest the NW side of DC in Rockville MD which is a very desirable area with easy access to the cultural and social amenities of DC via Metro Rail.

Apartments for Rent and Rentals - Free Apartment Finder | ApartmentGuide.com
Thanks for the great ideas and information kyle19125! Do you have any thoughts on the Baltimore area?

Old 04-11-2017, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the great ideas and information kyle19125! Do you have any thoughts on the Baltimore area?
It's less expensive but in my opinion Baltimore just doesn't have anywhere near the amenities of DC, especially if living in the suburbs. I also think the pool of available men in their 50s and 60s will be more attractive in terms of background and life experiences as well as for that matter potential friends. Just my two cents anyway..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or