U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are the most pro-faith, religiously-oriented cities (choose all that apply)?
Cincinnati, OH 7 9.33%
Minneapolis, MN 3 4.00%
Dallas, TX 26 34.67%
San Diego, CA 7 9.33%
Denver, CO 3 4.00%
Houston, TX 20 26.67%
Colorado Springs, CO 18 24.00%
Atlanta, GA 24 32.00%
Nashville, TN 27 36.00%
Little Rock, AR 24 32.00%
Salt Lake City, UT 30 40.00%
Louisville, KY 15 20.00%
Cleveland, OH 4 5.33%
Pittsburgh, PA 4 5.33%
Washington DC/NoVa 6 8.00%
St. Louis, MO 11 14.67%
Birmingham, AL 25 33.33%
Charleston, WV 11 14.67%
Raleigh-Durham, NC 16 21.33%
Kansas City, MO 13 17.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 02:15 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,449,604 times

Advertisements

CO Springs, SLC, and Wheaton, IL come to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 02:25 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,773,617 times
Birmingham pretty much has houses of worship everywhere. However, to be fair, it's a good mix of Catholic, Episcopalian, Methodist, Baptist, Lutheran, Presbyterian, Mormon, Jewish, Hindu, Muslim, Unitarian, Church of God, and Church of Christ.

From my front doorstep, I'm within two miles of an Episcopal, Methodist, Baptist, Lutheran, Catholic, and Presbyterian church. What's more, there are two Jewish temples within a half mile of me as the crow flies. It's interesting to watch Hasidic jews filing off to temple in Birmingham, Alabama.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:35 PM

872 posts, read 3,273,921 times
Should add Charlotte, NC. Churches galore.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:40 PM

386 posts, read 1,537,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain_time_Blues View Post
Should add Charlotte, NC. Churches galore.
I was gonna put Charlotte....and then I added Raleigh instead. Because I know Charlotte is a great city of faith...but I don't know a thing about Raleigh.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:44 PM

287 posts, read 918,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post
But it's hardly "traditional" Catholic. It is known as one of the most liberal cities in the country and there's a whole lot more to being Catholic than standing up for the Pope. It is one of the Catholic cities where it is still very much Catholic in character--but not necessarily in observance. St. Louis, on the other hand, is a very religiously Catholic city and the Church plays a huge role in so much of the city's life.
That's just crazy. Liberal doesn't mean not traditionally Catholic. Nor does Democratic party rule mean liberal (as much as I hate that particular truth). Boston is super Catholic. For better or worse, the Catholic church is a large presence in the lives of all Bostonians Catholic or not, and to claim this is just Catholic character and does not make Boston a good place to practice Catholicism (particularly Irish Catholicism) is absurd.

I'll not even get into the fact that these cities were clearly chosen because they have large communities of different types of Christians, as if that were the only religion practiced in the US. IMO big cities are great places to practice religion because there actually is a religious community for everyone.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedripeplum View Post
That's just crazy. Liberal doesn't mean not traditionally Catholic. Nor does Democratic party rule mean liberal (as much as I hate that particular truth). Boston is super Catholic. For better or worse, the Catholic church is a large presence in the lives of all Bostonians Catholic or not, and to claim this is just Catholic character and does not make Boston a good place to practice Catholicism (particularly Irish Catholicism) is absurd.

I'll not even get into the fact that these cities were clearly chosen because they have large communities of different types of Christians, as if that were the only religion practiced in the US. IMO big cities are great places to practice religion because there actually is a religious community for everyone.
Sorry...but you cannot be one of the most pro-choice, pro-gay marriage cities out and still be traditional Catholic. The Church has spoken loud and clear on these very important issues and Massachusetts continues to give the Church the middle finger. Besides, Mass. has one of the country's lowest church attendance rates.

Massachusetts exemplifies the cafeteria catholic mentality--not the Catholicism of the Catholic Church.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:49 PM

872 posts, read 3,273,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post
I was gonna put Charlotte....and then I added Raleigh instead. Because I know Charlotte is a great city of faith...but I don't know a thing about Raleigh.
Ahh, Gotcha'.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:49 PM

Is Nashville really that religious? I've never been and I've heard of the whole country music scene....but is it that religious? Has anybody lived there that can describe it for me?

Old 03-06-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain_time_Blues View Post
Ahh, Gotcha'.

Though...I think a vote for Raleigh can be a vote for Charlotte as far as I"m concerned!

Old 03-06-2008, 02:57 PM

708 posts, read 2,411,490 times
I was going to vote for Boston, but it's not on the list. O_O
So I'm going with Houston instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or