U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most unoriginal City in America
ORLANDO 11 15.71%
AUSTIN 1 1.43%
CHARLOTTE 12 17.14%
MEMPHIS 0 0%
ATLANTA 7 10.00%
DALLAS 14 20.00%
NASHVILLE 1 1.43%
MIAMI 1 1.43%
LAS VAGAS 4 5.71%
NEW ORLEANS 0 0%
LOS ANGELES 1 1.43%
SAN ANTONIO 0 0%
PHOENIX 10 14.29%
HOUSTON 8 11.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 05:31 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,236,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I think LA and Chicago as the most PUT TOGETHER Big cities. LA defined the Ranch and California Craftsmen Bungalows other cities copied. Chicago defined its Chicago Craftsmen Bungalows Frank Lloyd Wright inspired features and defied a more Attached notion of urban housing chose NOT to copy NYCs tenement-style.

Most Chicago style homes are unique to it or was adopted in other cities. Same with LA's. One can say LA's sprawling concept hurt cities that copied it? But I do believe those that copied Chicago's street-grid of standard set-backs of housing for green-frontage? But kept it close-knit narowish lots with alleys in back. Could have did much worse and ALLOWED much more sprawl allowed to evolve? As like LA., had plenty of flat land to sprawl or allow it to come in.

Alley's housing garages and a place to put the power-lines and poles. I don't see as a outdated concept? Giving how some cities build whole new neighborhoods today - and keep big ugly poles in front of a beautiful new home or development.

The worst are those cities that really did not define a housing variety it's known for and did not plan at all---> the kind of city they wanted to become. Those that didn't even build a complete street-system of curbing and drains also.
Exactly. There are only a handful of cities that set the architectural & developmental standard. This whole thread is grasping at straws. It's like trying to figure out which city in New Hampshire is the warmest. Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 07:21 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,174,063 times
It was close between Charlotte and Dallas for me, but had to give Dallas the nod. I suppose those two to three story brick McMansions with no basement remind me of DFW.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:56 PM

5,903 posts, read 2,739,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
Charlotte. It's nice and I'd rather live there than several of these cities, it's just sort of generic and lacking in original character. Orlando and Vegas are cheesy, suburban tourist traps, but they're too unique to garner my vote.

NOLA, Memphis, Miami, San Antonio, and LA shouldnt even be in the poll.
I agree with you on the bolded cities you listed above. All of those have unique characteristics & to even consider them "unoriginal" is bizzare.
As for the other cities you listed I can only comment on Orlando.
Outside of a few neighborhoods near downtown Orlando has to be one of the most ugliest examples of suburban sprawl with strip malls , chain restaurants and cookie cutter housing developments in every direction for miles.
It's not a very urban area either.
Most people who visit Orlando never get to see this side of the city & metro area since they only experience the Airport & the theme parks on the southwest side of the metro while on vacation.
I would imagine Las Vegas probably suffers a similar scenario.

To be fair to Orlando the city is investing heavily in it's downtown with cultural amenities such as a new Soccer stadium , new sports arena , a performing arts venue and SunRail which is changing the city.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:58 PM

83 posts, read 17,596 times
Phoenix and Las Vegas are new and not original IMO

Old 04-14-2017, 10:06 PM

7,820 posts, read 12,324,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
We have all seen them, those Mayors that run off to other Cities to see what other Cities are doing and the next thing you know they are back home trying to get it built in their City to compete. I can't say its a bad or good thing, all a matter of Opinion but its definitely Unoriginal and can sometimes make Cities look way over done. Next thing you know you have a City that looks like every other Major City in America, all thrown together in one big Mixing bowl.. I think my main problem with this is when we see our basic infrastructure not up to par or basic amenities not getting taken care of, Citizens suffering but something New and Shinny pops up in the house. It's almost like keeping up with the Jones's with something we really don't need or is a waste of Money when we can't even get our regular bills paid at home. Which Major American Cities do you see falling into this Category the Most??
Baltimore really tries it but never is able to successfully pull it off.......

Old 04-15-2017, 01:11 AM

683 posts, read 732,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Baltimore really tries it but never is able to successfully pull it off.......
Maybe so but there are still trends that Baltimore made popupar that other cities took from. Like waterfront development, MLB retro stadiums, and even suburban planning.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:40 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,158,248 times
Lots of talk about Dallas and Charlotte yet no mention of Atlanta, when they're essentially working with the same concept. These three cities go hand in hand.

Old 04-15-2017, 10:25 AM

2,791 posts, read 1,633,736 times
I voted for Phoenix, but the more I think about it, I think it could be Orlando.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:22 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,383,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
It was close between Charlotte and Dallas for me, but had to give Dallas the nod. I suppose those two to three story brick McMansions with no basement remind me of DFW.

Yea sadly a lot of DFW suburbia is McMansion hell. I don't see the appeal of McMansions. All look the same, ugly, blocky. There's never any big trees around them, either. Just tiny shrubs. Looks like a lawn desert around it. While I'm not a big fan of the one-storey Texas ranches, at least they're something that is homey to the area. Its a local style and has more charm and character than an ugly generic McMansion. Also neighbourhoods with smaller ranches tend to have lots of big trees.

I haven't seen McMansions in the Twin Cities though I'm sure they're there somewhere, but I love the housing style up there. A lot more two storey homes up there it seems.

This is what I think when I think of the "typical Texas house"

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.8526...8i6656!6m1!1e1

And this is what I think of when I think of "typical Minnesota house."

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.0026...8i6656!6m1!1e1

I prefer areas where the houses tend to be built higher as opposed to spread out. I also have a preference for stairs.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:29 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,383,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
I agree with you on the bolded cities you listed above. All of those have unique characteristics & to even consider them "unoriginal" is bizzare.
As for the other cities you listed I can only comment on Orlando.
Outside of a few neighborhoods near downtown Orlando has to be one of the most ugliest examples of suburban sprawl with strip malls , chain restaurants and cookie cutter housing developments in every direction for miles.
It's not a very urban area either.
Most people who visit Orlando never get to see this side of the city & metro area since they only experience the Airport & the theme parks on the southwest side of the metro while on vacation.
I would imagine Las Vegas probably suffers a similar scenario.

To be fair to Orlando the city is investing heavily in it's downtown with cultural amenities such as a new Soccer stadium , new sports arena , a performing arts venue and SunRail which is changing the city.

I agree. As much as I hate much of Miami's suburban architecture, its certainly distinct. I hate stucco exteriors, but Miami's mix of Southwestern Mediterranean and New Orleans type colour palettes is pretty distinct. And then of course there's Art Deco which Miami has pretty much iconised. Any US city outside South Florida with Art Deco styles would be more of a copycat than the way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.